MacBook Refresh!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sure, the MacBook Air is getting all the love lately, but what about those of us waiting to get a new MacBook but don't want the current stale hardware? Have I missed any news on this lately or should I just keep waiting it out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    I'm in the same boat as you. I need to have a MBP 13" soon, for this winter. I don't know if I should just buy the present 13" MBP, or wait for a new version.

The problems with the current 13" MBP are its slow HD and its low resolution screen. And I don't need the CD/DVD drive.

I played with the MBA, and I find them too fragile (too thin), for a work portable. It will not last long.

I much prefer the robustness of the MBP. The 15" MBP are too big and heavy for me, so I need the 13" MBP, but damn the screen !
  • Reply 2 of 29
    Honestly, I'm not even looking to get an MBP, just the plain old $999 MacBook.

Yes, I know the new MacBook Air comes at that same price, but the screen is just too small and, despite Apple's insistence, the CD-ROM is not yet dead.
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phooey View Post

Honestly, I'm not even looking to get an MBP, just the plain old $999 MacBook.

Good luck. It should have died in fall 2008. It's more likely to die now.

Quote:

...despite Apple's insistence, the CD-ROM is not yet dead.

Yes. It is. OS X is being shipped on USB drives now. The Mac App Store makes disc distribution irrelevant. CD-ROMs have been dead since the DVD-ROM came out. Now the DVD-ROM is dead, as is all other optical media.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple won't kill the plastic Macbook. It sells too well.
  • Reply 5 of 29
    Quote:

As the above poster said, it's one of their best-selling laptops. Why would they kill it off?

Quote:

Yes. It is. OS X is being shipped on USB drives now. The Mac App Store makes disc distribution irrelevant. CD-ROMs have been dead since the DVD-ROM came out. Now the DVD-ROM is dead, as is all other optical media.

I don't disagree that it is a dieing medium, but that doesn't mean that plenty of people still don't have a continuing use for it.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    Quote:

As the above poster said, it's one of their best-selling laptops. Why would they kill it off?

Same reason they killed off the iPod mini; they came out with something better.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    The iPod mini was never a best-selling anything.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    Quote:

The iPod mini was never a best-selling anything.

Might want to watch the iPod nano introductory keynote again, then.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:

Sure, the MacBook Air is getting all the love lately, but what about those of us waiting to get a new MacBook but don't want the current stale hardware? Have I missed any news on this lately or should I just keep waiting it out?

Apple can't put Intel's new chips in it until the GPU situation is resolved. There is a rumour that NVidia have found a workaround for Sandy Bridge so they can certainly upgrade to it.

However, this would be the ideal time for them to cut the plastic Macbook line. The entry Macbook Air is the same price and has a higher resolution screen.

The only differences are the MB has 250GB HDD and 2.4GHz processor. A low clock i-series chip will match or exceed the Core 2 Duo and the 320M is the same.

By the time Sandy Bridge arrives, the SSD prices will be on the 25nm revision so half the price per GB so the entry MBA gets 128GB.

You do lose out on FW800 and ethernet but not ethernet isn't a great addition for a laptop and while FW800 is useful, it's not a huge problem losing it, especially if they start supporting Light Peak/USB 3. Light Peak can be fitted to a variety of plugs so they can combine it with the USB plugs no problem.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Light Peak can be fitted to a variety of plugs so they can combine it with the USB plugs no problem.

And there's nothing Apple loves more than selling dongles.

LightPeak to USB!

LightPeak to Ethernet!

LightPeak to Mini DisplayPort!

Each $29.99.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,443moderator
    Quote:

And there's nothing Apple loves more than selling dongles.

LightPeak to USB!

LightPeak to Ethernet!

LightPeak to Mini DisplayPort!

Each $29.99.

Not quite. They can combine USB and Light Peak in a single plug so no adaptor needed there. Mini-displayport can stay as it's small enough anyway. There are already ethernet adaptors. The only one missing would be firewire but I'd expect 3rd part manufacturers can build some sort of hub.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    Quote:

Same reason they killed off the iPod mini; they came out with something better.

And what is this something better? The 11" Macbook Air? Schools and universities aren't going to buy that.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

Sure, the MacBook Air is getting all the love lately, but what about those of us waiting to get a new MacBook

No leaks, No info, nothing to speak of rumor wise.

Quote:

but don't want the current stale hardware?

Then what you are saying is that you really don't need a new laptop. There are two good times to buy. One is when you need a device and the other is when Apple releases revs or new products. Since you don't need one you should just wait.

Quote:

Have I missed any news on this lately or should I just keep waiting it out?

Sadly the biggest rumors seem to come from Steve Jobs these days, otherwise Apple has been very tight lipped. By this I mean Steves reference at the AIR release about the machines demonstrating the shape of things to come. The only other on again and off again is the AMD rumor.

Either way we could be well into 2011 before we hear anything. I'd like to see at least a refresh now but it is quickly becoming to late for that. As to your Mac Book I actually think Apple has plans there to lower costs significantly. Pricing on the new AIRs hints at this plus the coming high integration technology will allow for cheaper hardware.

AMD has potential here with something like Zacate making an excellent Mac Book if they can get the clock rate high enough. Current release info indicates a top speed of 1.6 GHz which is way to slow, they need to be able to add a GHz to that. AMD has other hardware in the Fusion line up that we know even less about, but the general idea is the same. Of course Intel is coming with Sandy Bridge but it is not known if all the GPU issues have been resolved (OpenCL). Plus it does not appear that Intel will target entry level machine pricing with Sandy Bridge.

In any event these high integration chips have the potential To allow for drastic changes in laptop design and capability. There was even a rumor at one time that one of AMDs Fusion chips would be a fairly complete SoC. That is the North Bridge integrated on board so that the only other major chips on the motherboard would be the RAM.

Will this stuff be ready for the next Mac Book, I really don't know. However it is clear that this is the way the industry will go for the low end.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

And what is this something better? The 11" Macbook Air? Schools and universities aren't going to buy that.

Any particular reason you think this?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kali View Post

... and I find them too fragile (too thin), for a work portable. It will not last long...

While they do LOOK/FEEL fragile, they are not. They're just as robust as the MBP's. Their light weight and thin profile just make them seem to be a delicate item, but looks are deceiving in this case.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    Quote:

Any particular reason you think this?

Its only advantage over the Macbook, increased portability, doesn't matter at all to schools. Its disadvantages- much slower CPU, no optical drive, no lock slot- definitely matter to them.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Its only advantage over the Macbook, increased portability, doesn't matter at all to schools. Its disadvantages- much slower CPU, no optical drive, no lock slot- definitely matter to them.

Sure, because grade-school kids really need to be running CPU intensive apps, installing their own stuff, and locking their computers up (the monitoring software put on all school-issued computers will find it wherever it is; and it's a good lesson in theft).
  • Reply 18 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Then what you are saying is that you really don't need a new laptop. There are two good times to buy. One is when you need a device and the other is when Apple releases revs or new products. Since you don't need one you should just wait.

That's exactly what I'm doing.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

That's exactly what I'm doing.

I also decided to wait. I'm looking for a 13" MBP with a nice display. The current 13" MBP screen really sucks !
  • Reply 20 of 29
    To be fair, I'm being more patient about it than my wife is.