AT&T notifies customers of class-action settlement via text message

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Interesting. I've been an iPhone user via AT&T for 3 years next month an I didn't receive a text.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    I didn't receive a text message either, but no matter: I will be purchasing my iPhone 4 in Tijuana--they are sold unlocked in Mexico--and bring it back to the States and use it on someone else's network.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by theirongiant View Post

I didn't receive a text message either, but no matter: I will be purchasing my iPhone 4 in Tijuana--they are sold unlocked in Mexico--and bring it back to the States and use it on someone else's network.

Don't get killed while you're there. \

I never received a text either, in NY. Anyone here get one?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

Well, he still kinda has a point. Your other alternative was to NOT get an iPhone to begin with. You had the choice of either (1) getting this service and paying this amount, or (2) deciding that the service wasn't worth it and declining. You apparently determined that it was worth signing up for, but your complaints now indicate that the price is right on the boundary. In other words, AT&T pretty much nailed the limit of what you would pay for the service. From a business perspective, that's impressive. (Sorry to be so cold about it.)

Thompson

Well spoken Mr or Ms Thompson. I could not have said it better myself. It all boils down to a choice. AT&T did not force anyone to select the iPhone. In my case, it was worth the price to get the technology I like.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

...you won't be able to start a lawsuit, continue a lawsuit, or be part of any other lawsuit against AT&T Mobility about the legal issues in this case, ever again."[/I]

How is this legal in ANY sense of the word?
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gamrin View Post

Hrm... A quick and dirty estimate of my iPhone plan at 8% sales tax in NC over the last four years tells me I'm eligible for as much as $350 from AT&T. I'll be happy to take that, especially during the holiday season. Thanks.

That amount assumes that the class-action settlement return is based on the tax from my entire bill, not just the $30 data plan. On just the data plan, 8% tax over four years is worth $115. I'll happily take that, too. :P

But we have no information. At least not from the AI story.

It reads "The settlement resolves lawsuits concerning AT&T Mobility charging Internet Taxes for Internet access through certain services,"

So AI is quoting a statement from a website. Fine. But notice that Internet Taxes is capitlaized, eindicating that it is a defined term within the document summarized on the website.

AI neglects to tell us what Internet Taxes means. So we have no freaking idea of what the subject matter is of the entire friggin story. We don't know which charges are at the root of the matter. We are never told.

I assume that it is NOT local sales tax. If it were local sales tax, that is what they would have said.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Scum lawyers.

Horrible, ain't it? ATT charges scam fees, and those scum try to fix things for the customers. We'd be better off if companies like ATT could charge anything, legal or not. We could just vote with our pocketbooks and use Verizon instead.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

Like so many other things in our legal system, the attorneys and newsies get the populace all riled up by telling them how evil the corporation is, but do not bother to tell the people who join in the lawsuit where most of the money goes.

That is incorrect. They file publicly accessible forms with the court. Not only that, often there are public hearings concerning that subject.

Anybody who cares to know can find out with little effort.
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

If you think you are paying too much, why not do something sensible, SWITCH to another carrier when your contract expires. When you vote with your money, instead of your mouth, you have power.

Much better than righteous indignation, don't you think?

Yeah! We should all just switch to Verizon!
  • Reply 30 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

All the trouble of settling?!?!? I thought companies settled in order to avoid all of the trouble of litigation.

Thompson

You thought right. They also settle so that they are in control of the outcome, rather than leaving it to a third party, the judge.

They get certainty. They can also avoid all the trouble of litigation and move on to more important matters.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It is provided for in a statute. That's how.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

What the heck is "vendor's compensation"? At least as far regular sales tax goes, I'm not aware that the seller is entitled to keep anything extra from the amount charged to customers for sales tax. The seller collects the tax and passes it to the state and gets zilch for doing so, afaik.

Why, that's the money you paid to a supplier that the supplier gets to keep in covering its overhead for having screwed you over in the first place.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your agreement to accept payment constitutes a contract between you and the carrier where you willingly give up the right to sue. Look for the binding arbitration clause in the contract you signed for phone service. Same thing for your cable TV or satellite service. They ask us to bend over and spread our cheeks and we do it willingly all the time. Turn your head, hold your nose and bring plenty of your favorite lubricant.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KindredMac View Post

2 iphones in our house and we didn't get a text on either one of them....

How about this? Lower my bill for two iPhones to $125/month, keep it there as long as I have two active iPhones on the account forever, and I'll decline the settlement.

I pay $175/month right now and I think it is highway robbery.

Remeber, lawyers profit first (just like bankers), so assuming 5M victims at ~ $20, AT&T would shell out $100M but the class action lawyers would take a good maybe $20M, leaving you with an average of $16.

I'm pretty sure you're not going to receive a $100 or more benefit here.

btw, I just got the text, I think they're rolling out the texts slowly so people don't realize the "mobility taxes" thing was such a huge scam.
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Class action settlement has many contingencies in it. Most people will probably receive less than $100. Many people will receive much less.

Only choice unless you are planning to sue and spend much more than you are going to receive.