BluRay?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking at the latest range of Macs and I was thinking with their huge, high-quality screens they'd surely handle HD really well and be a great way to watch Blu-Ray stuff.

Anyone have any idea if Apple will ever include Blu-Ray with the iMac, even as an option, maybe in the next version of the iMac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Bag of hurt. It's not happening. Buy an external Blu-ray drive (or internal) and use MakeMKV and VLC to watch Blu-ray movies in OS X, or just boot into Windows in Boot Camp.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Oh dear have I mentioned a sore subject? I guess Apple doesn't like Blu-Ray? A pity...

oh well! Thanks for the info anyway.

If I do get an external drive, with the latest OSX come with a player which will support Blu-Ray or would I need extra software too to play it please?

Thanks.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    OS X can't play Blu-ray, but neither can Windows. You'd need extra software.

Here's a guide for playback straight from a disk in OS X:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...33&postcount=1
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSteve View Post

Oh dear have I mentioned a sore subject? I guess Apple doesn't like Blu-Ray? A pity...

oh well! Thanks for the info anyway.

If I do get an external drive, with the latest OSX come with a player which will support Blu-Ray or would I need extra software too to play it please?

Thanks.

You need extra software but it's free.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

You need extra software but it's free.

Oh thanks for that - I didn't realise Windows couldn't support Blu-Ray out of the box either, and I admit that many Windows PCs don't have Blu-Ray either. If the software is free than that's no big deal.

It's not a deal-breaker - I don't even have a Blu-Ray player yet and Blu-Ray doesn't seem to have taken off in the same way DVD did, I guess it's not such a big leap as VHS to DVD was - so I don't even own any Blu-Ray discs yet. I just figured it might be a nice thing to have if I'm buying a new computer anyway.

Thanks for the replies from all of you.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    The DVD was such an improvement over the video tape that it was a no-brainer for many to upgrade. Much of the appeal was convenience and size. Of course, video and audio quality helped. BR has better video (will have a BR player and a DVD player for yet a while longer), but the start up is slow; once it's playing it is very nice, but most people won't really care about the difference especially on smaller screens (under 30"). On a 42" plasma, yeah, BR is much nicer.

Grab a TV tuner for Mac, add an Apple TV, and you have HD movies on demand for less than the cost of a BR machine.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Apple is not supporting blu-ray because they are pushing apple tv, and digital downloads. It's a shame they are putting profits before consumers.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orangepeel View Post

Apple is not supporting blu-ray because they are pushing apple tv, and digital downloads. It's a shame the bandwidth of the United States doesn't support 1080p downloads of any sort, otherwise Apple would offer them and this point would be completely moot.

Fixed. Quit whining.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orangepeel View Post

Apple is not supporting blu-ray because they are pushing apple tv, and digital downloads. It's a shame they are putting profits before consumers.

As an Apple shareholder, I'd be pretty pissed if they were placating consumers at the expense of profit. Apple wouldn't be the company they are if they didn't make a profit. What do you think funds all their R&D???
  • Reply 10 of 10

You need another third-party Blu-ray player software called Mac Blu-ray player but it is not free. After my trial, I really think it works pretty well compared to some freeware.