Piper: Expect iTunes cloud, not music subscriptions, from Apple

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Yeah, Dropbox.

Not quite tracking you ... isn't apple already doing dropbox via MobileMe?
  • Reply 42 of 64
    I think Apple is bying out one of these two companies and will begin using apple shaped pieces of pepperonni on its pizzas. It only makes sense, did anyone besides me notice that the clocks used in the announcement are the exact same shape as a pizza? This is kind of a no-brainer....
  • Reply 43 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

I am not sure a cloud service is that usefull today. I guess if you have a iPod touch and you have waaaaay more purchased content for it that you can use?

Syncing though iTunes for my AppleTV,MBP, iPad, iPhone seems sufficient and I cant think how I would actually use any cloud functionality, certainly not on a regular basis.

Has anyone else figured out viable use cases for a cloud based iTunes?

Well,
    • the new AppleTV would be able to buy a movie or TV show (or music) - and then start watching immediately.

• Wireless syncing for iPhones etc to the cloud (but hopefully it'll sync wirelessly via your local Mac if available!)

• full iOS/iTunes backup, possibly including back up of all your photos

• They could sell an iPad as "500GB with 16GB local" (phrased MUCH better).

• People could buy an iPad without needing a computer at all - just an AppleID.

I'd say this is stage one of the data centre. Stage 2 is with Lion - full copy of your whole user account on Lion, including apps (and a 64GB MBA could still have 200GB of documents/music/movies loaded).
  • Reply 44 of 64
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

i'm pretty sure [and by pretty sure, i mean abso-friggin-lutely positive] that there were phones that were handheld computers with internet capabilities that existed before the iPhone. let's refer to them as "smartphones" - maybe that term will catch on.

...do you want me to post the slide of these "smartphones" that Steve Jobs used to show the competition when he introduced the iPhone?

That's why I said the "SMARTPHONE" market was not mature in 2007 when the iPhone was introduced and it's still not mature today..

Apple entered an emerging market and re-defined it by releasing a device with a multi-touch interface and internet and web capabilities that had never been done before.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is not true. Apple enters mature markets that are stagnant and where it thinks it can add value. I can see Apple entering the television market if it thinks it can add something desirable.

To date, Apple have not entered into an established market with any of their core products..

From the Mac, to the iPod, iPhone, iPad to their digital content iTunes business.. Apple entered them all in their fledgling stages..
  • Reply 46 of 64
    There is merit in an internet or cloud based streaming service, however I believe it needs to be a step away from, or solve the limits of local storage of your media. A cloud based service that allows access to your media on any connected device is where we need to go.

David Shepherd

doshepherdhowto.com
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Quote:

Yeah, Dropbox.

Not to mention all the cloud services we now use for syncing mail, notes, calendars, contacts, and settings.

For cloud services to work it has to be easy to forget about. It has to be part of what you expect from a service, which is why the above services work as well as they do for those that use them.

I think people are trying to expecting too much from what iTunes in the cloud would mean. It doesn’t mean you won’t be storing your content locally. It will not be the end of storage in iDevices. It may not even mean uploading a single song to their servers.

iTunes in the cloud would be most effective for the average user if it reads your library the way iTunes Genius does, and then links your library’s contents to a file they already have on their servers which would allow you to stream to another device that can be accessible by your account. This could mean streaming via iTunes app, or iTunes.com, or an iDevice or an AppleTV. It may only be content you’ve purchased via iTunes Store (perhaps legal issues) or be limited to 128kbps for legal and bandwidth reasons.

What you say is likely true! Apple already has a record of all your iTunes and App store downloads and purchases.

A streaming (and/or re-download) service to iDevices would involve little additional storage (an online token (pointer) to each song you own) -- just bandwidth.

In the bigger scheme of things, it would be nice to include content you have purchased and ripped.

This could be handled by:

1) iTunes local/remote "analyzing" * your ripped files (or the Original CDs and DVDs) to assure a legal file.

2) matching the content to that on the cloud.

3) issuing you a token for validated content

* YouTube analyzes content you upload to prevent unauthorized use of copyrighted content -- e.g. it won't let you use a portion of a ripped CD as a soundtrack in a home movie.

As an alternative, Apple and the record/movie/TV industry could offer an amnesty period, say, six months, to "tokenize" your content -- no questions asked.

Most of us have some content that cannot be validated:

-- Ripped LPs, VHS Tapes

-- Live recordings

-- Home movies

-- Pictures and slide shows

The option to upload and store some or all of these at a reasonable annual fee would be appealing.

• Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimi View Post

Hmmmm. . . Netflix stock down today! Coincidence?

Hmmmm. . . Apple stock down today! Coincidence?

• Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

Well,
    • the new AppleTV would be able to buy a movie or TV show (or music) - and then start watching immediately.

• Wireless syncing for iPhones etc to the cloud (but hopefully it'll sync wirelessly via your local Mac if available!)

• full iOS/iTunes backup, possibly including back up of all your photos

• They could sell an iPad as "500GB with 16GB local" (phrased MUCH better).

• People could buy an iPad without needing a computer at all - just an AppleID.

I'd say this is stage one of the data centre. Stage 2 is with Lion - full copy of your whole user account on Lion, including apps (and a 64GB MBA could still have 200GB of documents/music/movies loaded).

I like that!

Especially the concept of;

-- Local storage for the content (including apps) that you currently use

-- secondary storage for all the content you bought (without messing with/losing SD cards)

-- you don't need a local computer, HDD

-- nothing' but your standalone iDevices (and a plastic boot SSD)

• Reply 50 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Not quite tracking you ... isn't apple already doing dropbox via MobileMe?

Not even close. Dropbox allows you to share folder with other people and it keeps these files synced across all devices and users. Now, on mobile devices the apps just show you the files that you can stream or download, but on ‘PCs’ the software actually keeps the content local to each user.

it works a lot more like Time Machine than MobileMe’s iDisk. Meaning, if I were to upload (say) last week’s episode of QI — a british comedic gameshow, of sorts — from eztv.it it wouldn’t simply start the upload like iDIsk, FTP and other file servers. It would check their entire DB, if that file was already on their server it wouldn’t initiate the upload, but would say the upload is complete and make a relevant link to that file within the folder as if I instantly uploaded it. Everyone shared in that folder can now see it, and all “PCs” shared to that folder will get a physical copy of it.

But what if I changed the name of that file? Say, from QI 8x09 (HDTV-ANGELiC) [VTV] LOLZ EZTV to something more userfriendly, like QI - S08E09 - House & Home. It doesn’t matter, it checks the file, not its name.

And that’s one way it’s like Time Machine. Time Machine backs up changes to files. If you simply change a name of a 1GB file it won’t take up another 1GB of space on your TIme Machine drive to maintain that change, only if the file itself is changed.

Additionally, you can delete any and all files within your Dropbox folders to give yourself more space, but then go to their site to restore these items at any time by showing deleted files. Note, these will only show you the name and dates, not take up your Dropbox space or local storage space. Only once you restore them to they count as part of your capacity.

So if someone accidentally deletes a file from Dropbox, don’t worry, you can easily restore it. You can permanently delete files, but you have to go to your deleted files within a folder and then chose the ones you want to permanently delete. This makes any permanent deletion a very willful act.

Finally, if you use Dropbox for backing up files that are constantly rewritten but use the same name, like taking notes for a class or writing a report, it will show you the previous revisions of these files, just like Time Machine. I use this for all my school work and it’s even saved my butt a couple times when i overwrote and saved a file accidentally.
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:

Not even close. .

Wow! Your right, that's fantastic and a much better model.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevetim View Post

Wow! Your right, that's fantastic and a much better model.

Besides their back-end being very complex yet nearly invisible to users that even “techy” people I know don’t seem to understand how it works despite using it, the website code and apps are are very “Mac-like”.

From Wikipedia something I suspected, but didn’t know…
    Quote:

To conserve bandwidth and time, if a file in a user's Dropbox folder is changed, Dropbox only uploads the pieces of the file that are changed when syncing.

• Reply 53 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The day they start offering live network TV sports, news through iTunes, that would be unforgettable.

I don't want live news. It's too antiquated - I see stories that I've already heard 3 times with little extra information, and tiny updates to stories that I missed hearing yesterday and want to know the full news! (edit: there's also stuff I'm not interested in. AND it's always 30 minutes... no matter how much or little news there is!)

I want interactive news. Cut up your nightly news program into every individual article, link them to earlier related articles and bigger investigative articles (like 60 minutes). Then let me turn on my "news" any time and just highlight stuff that's been updated.

Live news is occasionally useful, but I'd much rather the above!
  • Reply 54 of 64
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

The day they start offering live network TV sports, news through iTunes, that would be unforgettable.

iTunes LIVE applies as much to that as cloud services...and I agree...much more unforgettable.

Perhaps Apple scored big wins with ESPN and ABC...
  • Reply 55 of 64
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregAlexander View Post

I don't want live news. It's too antiquated - I see stories that I've already heard 3 times with little extra information, and tiny updates to stories that I missed hearing yesterday and want to know the full news! (edit: there's also stuff I'm not interested in. AND it's always 30 minutes... no matter how much or little news there is!)

I want interactive news. Cut up your nightly news program into every individual article, link them to earlier related articles and bigger investigative articles (like 60 minutes). Then let me turn on my "news" any time and just highlight stuff that's been updated.

Live news is occasionally useful, but I'd much rather the above!

It's called CNN.com.

Live news, maybe not so much. Live sports? That's a different level of boom.
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc362 View Post

Well, don't take my word for it. Visit CNN for a peak.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/02/news...usic_industry/

The music industry raked in over 14 billion dollars in 1999*. It has been in a death spiral ever since. 2009 sales clocked in at just over 6 billion. Account for inflation over 10 years on top of losing more than half your sales and I would say that qualifies as a dying industry.

*corrected from 2000

I don't deny it's suffering, but you said it was "dead" not "dying." That's what i commented and disagreed on.. There are still billions of song sales being made, so no, it's not "dead."

Lady Gaga is still making money.
  • Reply 57 of 64

Well... I used LaLa for a while until it was discontinued,

My small brain has only so much room (a short stack) & older stuff goes into the dust bin!

So I Yahooed lala to refresh my memory.

Someone mentioned that the LaLa purchase gave Apple streaming rights to music.

According to this it does:

http://techcrunch.com/2008/10/20/lal...digital-music/

... and a lot more.

1) You can buy web songs (streaming only, no download) for 10 cents each. If you later buy the song for download the 10 cents is applied to the purchase,

2) It examines your iTunes library and allows you access to the streaming web song for any song it finds in your library.

3) It doesn't ask (or care) how you got the song in your iTunes library -- it figures you aren't going to rebuy the song anyway.

4) it has the major labels and lots of indies signed up.

++++++++++++++
  • Reply 58 of 64
    After many of his predictions, speculations did not come true any further speculations by Munster should be suspect. I wish he were correct this time, but he does not even provide any plausible support for his prediction.

He predicted Apple would sell 45 million iPhones in 2009. He was off by tens of millions. Even his supporting projections is off by almost 10 million. During the Q4 2010, most of his estimates were off by a wide margin.

He predicted mini iPhones thinking it would be like the iPod series. Didn't he speculate that they would also reduce the price of the MacBook to $800??? His prediction for the iPad last April 2010 was also incorrect. And of course, his Apple stock projections have been off also.

Revenue --> $18.7B ($20.34B)

EPS --> $3.87 ($4.64)

iPhone --> 11M (14.1M)

iPod --> 10M (9.05M)

Macs --> 3.7M (3.89M)

iPads --> 4.5M (4.15M)

GM --> 37.0% (36.9%)

He even revised the above predictions 7 October 2010.

Does Apple Insider even look at his record? Why does AI give him so much attention?

Of course, if he keeps on speculating, one of them is bound to hit the ball. I hope this is one of them.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Oops, forgot the quote.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drewyboy View Post

I'm not an apple genius, no pun intended, but I could possibly see them basically offering 27" apple monitor w/ atv built in w/ some "tv" ports (hdmi, coax, digital audio out, etc). So I can see it happening, but again, personally, I'm still on the side that it seems too far a stretch from apple core business. At least at this point, I think they probably have other pressing issues to attend to before they bring a tv to the market, if they do. Remember, ecosystems is what Apple loves.

Apple already has this. Its the 27" iMac.

Add EyeTV and maybe Plex to meet the your requirements.