Apple's 11-inch MacBook Air 'flying off the shelves' alongside iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    I think people are underestimating the appeal of the 11 inch macbook air. First, it is much smaller than the 13 inch air. It has an identical keyboard, but a much smaller screen, overall size and weight. It also cost less.

Students are a large potential market. My daughter is a college student. We were holding off on getting her a new computer this fall. When she saw the 11 inch air, she fell in love with it. We got one for her a few weeks ago, and so far she says it is perfect. The best features:

1. the small size. Fits comfortably in lecture halls.

2. instant on. Perhaps the best feature.

3. responsive. Seems fast for what she does.

4. light weight. Doesn't add many pounds to her backpack

5. adequate battery. (Not great, but much better than the 4-year-old macbook she had before)

6. Nice screen.

7. excellent keyboard.

In the dorm room she needs the usb-ethernet dongle because the school does not permit wireless from the dorms. This isn't a problem.

In her dorm room she hooks it up to a larger monitor, a mouse and separate keyboard. But she says she sometimes doesn't do this, because the laptop itself is fine.

I was most concerned about the small screen. Although the resolution is OK, things are small. So far, this hasn't been an issue.

After 3 (or 4?) weeks her satisfaction is extremely high. No 'cons' and a lot of 'pros'. She loves using the computer.

Although Christmas may not be the optimal season for student computers, the macbook airs, especially the 11 inch air, are great student options.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Good ol' Gene Munster. Sends out some guys to 7 Apple stores and then pronounces how well Apple sold over Black Friday. Really?

Not an intelligent random sampling of stores I would bet, not reliable information in general. Since he has to write something, I suppose making stuff up, and making wild inferences constitutes reporting.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

I'm aware of both the definitions you posted and I know what fits in the category. Yes sales have been trending downward for netbooks since last fall, but even selling 30M this year is no small thing.

http://lowendmac.com/ed/fox/09ff/net...too-small.html

http://www.netbooklive.net/netbook-s...out-2010-2080/

2007 4.3 million

2008 14.6 million

2009 30.2 million

The 2009 data is from the 2nd link. I think rumors of the death of the netbook are exaggerated, but it is certainly shrinking in the face of the iPad and the lowered price of notebooks. When you can get something of a similar size with something better than an Atom processor for about the same money, why buy the Atom?

According to Intel, who coined the term Netbook, if it isn't an Atom, it isn't a netbook.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

According to Intel, who coined the term Netbook, if it isn't an Atom, it isn't a netbook.

You missed the entire point of the sentence before the one you bolded. The price of notebooks has dropped significantly and the size of netbooks has grown so that the 2 are merging. So when you have 2 10" screens, one billed as an Atom netbook and one as a core2 or AMD notebook, they have similar battery life, the notebook has a better video card, better screen and a non-crippled OS, but they cost similar, why buy the netbook?

Example:

Asus EEEPC Netbook: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834220848

Compaq AMD Athlon II notebook: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834107067

Also Intel didn't coin the term netbook. They took a term that came about from Psion Teklogix in 1996 and started using it themselves. That has all been settled out of court by now, but Intel was hardly the first to use the term. They applied the definition regarding Atom processors and such in 2008 after the Asus EEEPC and other competitors had already been on the market for months.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cubert View Post

Anyone who says that the iPad isn't cannibalizing netbook sales is crazy.

Well, they're not cannibalizing the Mac netbook sales
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Actually, the "biggest shopping day of the year" is the day before Xmas...

Best
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Actually, the "biggest shopping day of the year" is the day before Xmas...

Best

Nope, the Saturday prior (or the 23rd if Christmas is on a weekend) is typically the correct answer:

http://www.snopes.com/holidays/thank...g/shopping.asp
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

"Black Friday" has never been the biggest shopping day of the holiday season, which is the Saturday before Christmas. (Panic buying.) Sales might be a little front loaded this year since Hanukkah falls relatively early.

Oh, I know that; my point is that the *analyst* is getting all excited about 10% of total sales coming from the past weekend, even though it's hardly a number worth getting the vapors over.

The problem is that they never define "the Holiday shopping season". Does it mean Black Friday through Christmas Eve? Through New Year's Eve? Through the "post-holiday sales" in the first 2 weeks of January? Does it start the day after Halloween?

Depending on which of these definitions they mean, it could last as little as 30 days to as long as 70 days.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Anyone explain why the screen bezel is silver not black? \

I'd be more interested in a black bezel.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Using my iPad honestly is more fun than a MacBook Air 11", I think... even though the MBA looks so damn cool. I want the MBA design in a MBP 15" with 320GB SSD no disc drive
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Using my iPad honestly would be more fun than a MacBook Air 11", even though the MBA looks so damn cool. I want the MBA design in a MBP 15" with 320GB SSD no disc drive

Steve did say the Air is the future of the laptop. I'm not sure we'll see optical drives drop off in the early 2011 MBP update or not, but we could possibly lose both optical drives and hard drives in favor of a lighter system with SSD and more battery life.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Two points:

I find it interesting that 11 inchers were selling more then 13 as they were about the same price. Personally I think 11 is more of a niche device of suPer frequent travalers, as it is harder to type for a long time on a smaller device.

I think I got laughed at here last week for noticing essentially what Whitmore noticed.

Quote:

Whitmore noted that Apple has seen "very healthy demand" for the new MacBook Air. Employees at Apple stores indicated that the small, 11-inch MacBook Air has been particularly popular, calling it a "customer favorite" and saying that the product has been "flying off the shelves."

I think many don?t realize that computer processing power and capacity is already well above what most users need or even carry about, that the SSD makes these feel very fast to the user (which is important), and that size and weight are ?features?, not just aesthetics.

I expect to see a lot of these MBAs in colleges by next year.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    The 11-inch MacBook Air is light, sturdy, powerful, and beautiful in person. I would choose it over an iPad in a New York minute.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

Steve did say the Air is the future of the laptop. I'm not sure we'll see optical drives drop off in the early 2011 MBP update or not, but we could possibly lose both optical drives and hard drives in favor of a lighter system with SSD and more battery life.

I wouldn't mind seeing dual HDs as a BTO option with the second drive replacing the optical. I use my optical drive about three times a year. I'd happily go with a small SSD boot drive with a traditional drive for storage.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing dual HDs as a BTO option with the second drive replacing the optical. I use my optical drive about three times a year. I'd happily go with a small SSD boot drive with a traditional drive for storage.

I think this will be the next step. I can't see them eliminating optical drives just yet, but I can see them providing the option of replacing the optical drive with an SSD. The mac mini server has the option of replacing the optical drive with a hard drive and the iMac has the option of having a SSD and a hard drive. I can definitely see Apple implementing those ideas in their next macbook pros.

It would also give them an idea of how many people are willing to forgo the optical drive right now.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Using my iPad honestly is more fun than a MacBook Air 11", I think... even though the MBA looks so damn cool. I want the MBA design in a MBP 15" with 320GB SSD no disc drive

same here, my black macbook is 3 yrs older now and i want to change it... but i guess i'll wait for sandy bridge with ssd's in new MBP...
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 蘋果蘋果蘋果 View Post

"Deep hardware discounts suggest sluggish sales of [Apple MacBook Air]"?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 蘋果蘋果蘋果 View Post

"Deep hardware discounts suggest sluggish sales of [Apple MacBook Air]"?

)

Ya IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here in Japan, Mac Book Air ( Both 11" & 13" ) and Apple TV are REALLY SELLING NOW like " Hot Cakes " Flying Out Of Shelves WithOut Any DisCount!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The New Mac Book Air ALREADY HAS WON THE BEST ACCOLADE EVER of All NoteBook PC in Their History, Net Book is " Out Of Question "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You Guys Stop Referring Sony's Vaio!!!!!!!!!!

What Makes Me Laugh is You( Non-Japanese ) Always Quote Sony Vaio Comparing New Mac Book Air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though I'm Flattered a Bit 'Cause I'm JAPANESE and I Possess TWO Vaio ( Vista Model and XP Model ), To Be Quite Honest, We Japanese HAVE NOTICED and NOW All Know that Any Vaio Model Whether P or Whatsoever " NEVER ABLE TO CORRESPOND TO New Mac Book Air NEVER, EVER, AT ALL With Regard To Its Competence, Multi-Tasking Capability WithOut Any Sluggishness, Seamless Prowess, Stunning Speed, Beauty of ALUMI UNI-BODY, Battery Long Duration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In A NuttShell, " CLASS DIFFERS "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW We Are Talking EACH OTHER, " We NO MORE Have The REASON To Be Forced To Buy Windows Machines!!!!!!!!!!!!! ", Because You Can Have Such Marvelous Application As " Pararrell " which Enables You to Materialize Both Mac OS X and Windows on Mac Book Air and EVEN Lowest End Model of Mac Book Air 11" Perfectly Well Equipped With Vertial Windows Application, AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And WHEN IT COMES TO " Apple TV ", Because EVERYTHING ( Together With Release of Apple TV, Cinema Renting & Purchasing Service, Taking Advantage of Remote App, " AirPlay " With UpGrade of i-OS 4.2.1 etc. etc. ) CAME Here ALL AT ONCE and ALL OF SUDDEN, We Japanese ARE REALLY NOW ARE FEELING " Some Hunch of REVOLUTION in Medias "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That Mean " Apple TV REDEFINE WHAT IS TV "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same Kind of Devices Such As Sony PS3 and Services Such As ActVilla Already EXISTED HERE in JAPAN.

But What Differentiates Apple TV from Those Devices and Services IS " Speed & Instinctative and Instantaneous UI ( User InterFace ) " Which Has Been Burgeoned Through Experience on i-OS Devices Like i-Phone and i-Pad that WE NEVER CAN EXPERIENCE on Other Makers' Devices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You DON'T HAVE TO WAIT A SECOND PROCEEDING TO NEXT STEP!!!!!!

Once You Get Apple TV's Magically Agile User Experience With " AirPlay ", YOU NEVER CAN GO BACK TO OTHER DEVICES AND/OR SERVICES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 to 7 People Out Of 10 Around me ALREADY BOUGHT Both Mac Book Air and Apple TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We JAPANESE Know WHAT is " BEST PRODUCT ", Because Highest End Of Products Manufacturers Competing HEAD to HEAD in The Market.

Guys, I Guaratee YOU that Mac Book Air and Apple TV Will SELL " MORE THAN 10 MILLIONS PCS. " Within Half A Year ONLY HERE IN JAPAN, Honestly!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Does your mother know you're not in bed?