Camera lens supplier selected for Apple's second-generation iPad - rumor

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jabiko View Post

The author of this sentence seems to have at least two basic misunderstanding about how a camera works.

Clue: Lenses are not rated in megapixels.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

<sarcasm>

You're crazy!! Why just the other day, I was buying windows and the salesman showed me some 12.1 megapixel glass! Surely a glass camera lens would be rated the same!

</sarcasm>

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GordonPrice67 View Post

Um, lenses don't get rated by megapixels, sensors do. So is this story about the lens, or the sensor?

Note: this is exactly why the whole megapixel war is such a joke. You have a 10 megapixel sensor, but a craptastic lense, you get craptastic photos. You have a 3 megapixel sensor and a great lens, you get great photos, that just can't be enlarged. Sensor quality both being equal of course. Apple understands this, so I wonder when the iPhone will get a leica lens?

Gordon

Good sentiment (no one likes the mp fallacy), but perhaps the lens and sensor are one assembly for cameras such as that on the iPhone, in which case "5 megapixel lens" should be sufficient to portray the idea of a "lens assembly with a 5 megapixel sensor". Would they get a lens from one supplier and a sensor from another?
  • Reply 42 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

But I'm sure Oprah wants one to comunicate with Gail while she reclines on her couch in between reading her new iPad O magazine. That's all that matters.

Just because you'll be left with yet another obsolete 1st gen Apple products doesn't. Hint: eBay.

I would have to second the motion on this