Apple Global Data Center Director Olivier Sanche dies at 41

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactoid View Post

Great Prof., blame the victim. I know it's just your psychological defense so you can go on believing that "it happened to him, but it can't happen to me".

Guess what...you ARE going to die of something...and for the most part, you have little, if no, control in the matter.

My condolences to Mr. Sanche's family for their loss.

Um, no. If you're overweight that has a massive impact on your health. And what you eat has a massive impact on your weight.

Or is that news in the United States?
  • Reply 42 of 57
    A man who worked for me died a month ago very suddenly. So suddenly, in fact, that he dropped his wife off at work in the morning, did some shopping, and by early afternoon, he was gone. Just like that. He passed away almost exactly one year after he had a heart attack right in front of me. Now that was scary! Obviously, I was able to get him to the hospital in time, but I think he never fully recovered. He was good and kind and soft-spoken. R.I.P to him, and to Mr. Sanche.

It's natural for us to want to have a better understanding of why death happens, or to identify the cause (obesity/poor health habits/dangerous lifestyles/etc.), but in the end, it all seems pretty arbitrary. Sure, each individual death has a specific cause, but just as each life is unique, so is each death. The saddest thing though is when it happens sooner than "expected". 41 years is fairly young. We mourn a life "cut short"?as in, we expected a lot more out of them.

In the book, "The Abyss"?Orson Scott Card's book version of the James Cameron movie, there's the scene in which Lindsey Brigman drowns. The aliens are observing the scene, and trying to understand why everyone is sad, and they realize that everyone is sad not for Lindsey, but for themselves. Life consists of the memories we create together, and when someone dies, we are deprived of the ability to create new memories with that person.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Message to AppleInsider.com:

I have no issue with you reporting this story, but please turn off ability of having people comment on such tragic story. The discussion on this story has been mostly pathetic. People, if you don't have any condolence messages for this gentleman you don't have to post anything here - Just read and move along. Someone lost a father, husband, brother or a son - Please don't discuss the cause of death and make crude remarks.

I disagree. All of us spend so little time thinking about our health or making sure we live every day to the fullest that we should be encouraged to talk about it more. Mr Sanche kindly shows us all how important it is to do what you love and that life is more precious than we think.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

RIP Olivier Sanche... Sadly, Apple can name the Data Center after him...

probably one of the really likable guys....its never the major aholes that die....
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futuristic View Post

A man who worked for me died a month ago very suddenly. So suddenly, in fact, that he dropped his wife off at work in the morning, did some shopping, and by early afternoon, he was gone. Just like that. He passed away almost exactly one year after he had a heart attack right in front of me. Now that was scary! Obviously, I was able to get him to the hospital in time, but I think he never fully recovered. He was good and kind and soft-spoken. R.I.P to him, and to Mr. Sanche.

It's natural for us to want to have a better understanding of why death happens, or to identify the cause (obesity/poor health habits/dangerous lifestyles/etc.), but in the end, it all seems pretty arbitrary. Sure, each individual death has a specific cause, but just as each life is unique, so is each death. The saddest thing though is when it happens sooner than "expected". 41 years is fairly young. We mourn a life "cut short"?as in, we expected a lot more out of them.

In the book, "The Abyss"?Orson Scott Card's book version of the James Cameron movie, there's the scene in which Lindsey Brigman drowns. The aliens are observing the scene, and trying to understand why everyone is sad, and they realize that everyone is sad not for Lindsey, but for themselves. Life consists of the memories we create together, and when someone dies, we are deprived of the ability to create new memories with that person.

its scary. i had a friend that was at work, went to lunch and said he didn't feel well and then died the next day. he was younger than this guy and not obese.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeBarnes View Post

Um, no. If you're overweight that has a massive impact on your health. And what you eat has a massive impact on your weight.

Or is that news in the United States?

about as much news as drinking and smoking is in france....
  • Reply 47 of 57
    swiftswift Posts: 436member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by glui2001 View Post

How the hell do you die at age 41?

Likely, a very hard worker with heart disease in the family.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

I have no issue with you reporting this story, but please turn off ability of having people comment on such tragic story. The discussion on this story has been mostly pathetic. People, if you don't have any condolence messages for this gentleman you don't have to post anything here - Just read and move along. Someone lost a father, husband, brother or a son - Please don't discuss the cause of death and make crude remarks.

Completely agree. Imagine the additional grief the family will be feeling to log onto AI and read some of the insensitive comments posted here. Think, people! Would you attend the wake and say the same thing to a family member's face?
  • Reply 49 of 57
    Quote:

Check out pictures of him. Health related, overweight, bordering obese.
  • Reply 50 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Completely agree. Imagine the additional grief the family will be feeling to log onto AI and read some of the insensitive comments posted here. Think, people! Would you attend the wake and say the same thing to a family member's face?

Some folks can be awfully crass when they're hiding behind their keyboards. A lot of this seems to come from the "it can't happen to me" place, because of course they are more virtuous than the people to whom bad things happen. The fact is, apparently healthy people with no known risk factors keel over from heart attacks all the time. Yes, risk factors can be controlled to some extent, and everyone should try, but doing so only reduces risk, it hardly eliminates it, especially if you've been dealt a bad genetic hand. Don't be such clods, people. Just because nothing terrible has happened to you yet does not mean that someday you won't find yourself laying in a hospital bed with a bunch of tubes stuck in you, wondering how it happened. Just consider for a moment about how you'd want people to think about you in that situation before moving your hands over a keyboard in a situation like this one.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:

I have not read any crude remarks, mostly just discussion which is relevant and I suppose could actually save other lives.

Given the above it would create an additional passing, free speech.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I have not read any crude remarks, mostly just discussion which is relevant and I suppose could actually save other lives.

Given the above it would create an additional passing, free speech.

It is definitely crude to pretend to diagnose why a person died simply by looking at a photo of him. Yes, crude remarks are a form of "free speech," but they are still crude.
  • Reply 53 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

It is definitely crude to pretend to diagnose why a person died simply by looking at a photo of him. Yes, crude remarks are a form of "free speech," but they are still crude.

Any competent doctor will tell you that being grossly overweight increases your risk of heart disease which can lead to a heart attack, but all things are possible, maybe it had nothing to do with it.

My condolences to his family, from his picture and what has been written about him he seems like a really cool guy.
  • Reply 54 of 57
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Give me a break. No one has been insensitive. Stating the obvious isn't being insensitive. He was obese. That's obvious from photos. No doubt a great guy who will be hugely missed, but we shouldn't be afraid to address the WHY. Americans have become so incredibly fearful. We're afraid to talk about anything serious lest we offend.

If Olivier's passing and subsequent discussion of why a 41 year old drops dead leads others to change their ways and live healthier lives, don't you think his family would approve? Don't you think he would approve? As my doctor once said to me, 75% of disease is lifestyle choice and the remaining 25% is what everyone worries about.

My condolences to his friends, co-workers and family.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skiracer1987 View Post

Any competent doctor will tell you that being grossly overweight increases your risk of heart disease which can lead to a heart attack, but all things are possible, maybe it had nothing to do with it.

Of course being overweight is a risk factor for heart disease, but then so are a whole lot of other things. My point is, we seem to have a bunch of amateur diagnosticians around here who think they know why someone had a heart attack simply by looking at his picture.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Quote:

I actually have a pretty good guess for this one. Not living in the US, here, our festive time is Christmas, when you have a good meal. That is the key. Someone I worked with whose mum works as an ambulance assistant said the most times people have heart attacks is on New Years Day and Christmas because when they eat then walk it off, but this puts a big strain on the heart - especially for the elderly.

So, if he had of just sat in his seat he would still be alive. It was too much for his heart.
  • Reply 57 of 57
    Repose en Paix mon Ami.

Tous tes amis de France et de Montpellier pensent Ã* toi et présentent leurs sincères condoléances Ã* ta Famille.

http://copainsdavant.linternaute.com...livier_sanche/

http://www.linkedin.com/in/sanche