Apple shows interest in individually lit, multi-color keyboard backlights

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's solution, described in a handful of new patent applications, would have more dynamic keyboard backlights, with individually illuminated keys and multiple colors. One application, titled "Keyboard with Increased Control of Backlit Keys," describes a MacBook that would have different illumination schemes based on which application is running.

Another application, "White Point Adjustment for Multicolor Keyboard Backlight," describes a keyboard backlighting system that would rely on a light sensor included with the MacBook. The color of the keys on the notebook would be adjusted accordingly, making them easier to see in various lighting conditions.

"A controller is electrically coupled to the light source and the light sensor and configured to determine the intensity and color of light to which the light sensor is exposed," the application reads, "and dynamically adjust the output of the light source to match the determined intensity and color of light to which the light sensor is exposed."

Yet another application deals with the user interface functions that would become possible only with individually lit keys with multiple colors. Entitled "User Interface Behaviors for Input Device with Individually Controlled Illuminated Input Elements," it describes adjusting the keyboard lighting based on what program is being used on the notebook, or to notify the user of something.

This is already on sale.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/cb22/

Luxeed U5 Dynamic Pixel LED Keyboard

Apple can just buy the company.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

This is already on sale.

Luxeed U5 Dynamic Pixel LED Keyboard

Apple can just buy the company.

Completely different. That keyboard is only about changing only the colors of the keys. Apple is talking about switching LED backlights so each key can display any of several labels.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

While the Optimus keyboard is cool, the cost is prohibitive.

I wonder if Apple could do the same concept but use e-ink instead of OLED.

I think the target demographic should be Pro Apps like Photoshop, FinalCut, etc

I think it would make the most sense on Apple's full size Pro keyboard.

In order for it to be successful they should price it at no more than $199.

Many of the keyboard overlays run $50. This gives you an infinite # of overlays and functions in various apps.

Yeah, I immediately thought of Final Cut when I saw the headline. I remember the old dedicated keyboards with multi-color keys and the shortcuts printed on them. I went for the cheap option and got the set of replacement keys to use on an Apple keyboard -- just pry off the keys you needed to for the functions you wanted to remember.

It would be fun to have a strip of purple keys here, and a block of blue keys there, etc. I don't know how you would put symbols or commands on them with backlights, unless they did have a screen of some type on the key or overlay as you mention.

But, what I would really like to see are more iPad apps for various kinds of virtual keyboards. I am quite happy to type on the glass. And I have used the iPhone and iPad apps to turn them into touch pads for my Mac. So, why not a bunch of keyboards dedicated to different desktop apps, like FCP? Come on, iOS developers, get going; I've just given you a great idea! I would like my virtual FCP keyboard to have a scroll wheel for scanning through the time-line, please; then I don't have to get a 99-dollar physical one.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Anyone else notice this on think geek?

• Reply 45 of 52
    This may "look" like LCD's under each key but it's not ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLj5rMREmxY

This example is actualy for high end audio/video equipment but the technogogy being discussed in this thread remains the same.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Why not build a full size glass keyboard (like on the iPad) which could then be fully customisable. If you need to do a lot of typing just stick with the current keyboard.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Why not build a full size glass keyboard (like on the iPad) which could then be fully customisable. If you need to do a lot of typing just stick with the current keyboard.

Even I want tactile feedback most of the time. Not gonna fly.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Why are posters so quick to use crude language against fellow posters? I didn't run over your dog, just commented that I thought I was being unfairly criticized by another poster.

The article included information about an Apple patent for using color lighting for laptop keys. Presumably this is to assist in improving typing accuracy, not for decoration. It struck me that if they are thinking that way for one product, why not another? I am not the only one to express regret that iTunes has lost its color icons in the left hand source pane. I don't think that differentiating buttons by design but not color is an improvement. I think that my comment was more than tangentially related to the topic, and didn't merit being labeled a "whiner" or being "jack shit" off topic.

Jeez, why are people so cross all the time here?

A)You should have seen when I worked in a warehouse, my language is much cleaned up from what it once was. B)Get over yourself. Saying jack shit is nothing big and you're acting like I called you a child molester or something. Complaining about a change in iTunes IS completely off topic and you got called out by multiple people. Deal with it. That complaint about iTunes is pretty old and was already brought up here when it happened and we had to read about it plenty then. If Apple was listening, which they aren't, it would change.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

That's a totally different product/invention.

LCD screens on keys is not the same as backlighting on keys, not even close.

A 747 is totally different from the Wright Brother's first plane, but they're both the same basic idea.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

A)You should have seen when I worked in a warehouse, my language is much cleaned up from what it once was. B)Get over yourself. Saying jack shit is nothing big and you're acting like I called you a child molester or something. Complaining about a change in iTunes IS completely off topic and you got called out by multiple people. Deal with it. That complaint about iTunes is pretty old and was already brought up here when it happened and we had to read about it plenty then. If Apple was listening, which they aren't, it would change.

Just a plea for civility. Futile, as is often the case.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Gaming PC's have had this tacky look for years. Why are we even talking about it? Apple fanboys used to laugh at how ridiculous this kind of stuff is, then 5-10 years later Apple starts using colored backlights and everyone is exited?
  • Reply 52 of 52
    I do not believe "tacky" is an Apple trait. Magenta and neon colors might not be in their top 20 color palette.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bothaus View Post

Gaming PC's have had this tacky look for years. Why are we even talking about it? Apple fanboys used to laugh at how ridiculous this kind of stuff is, then 5-10 years later Apple starts using colored backlights and everyone is exited?