Google announces eBookstore for Apple's iOS, alongside Android

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post

Good point, guess I never thought about that aspect.

Must be a problem with that book. The page number in ebooks is the same as in hard copy books. If you increase the font, you just end up with more screens of the same page.
  • Reply 42 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

It is kind of like kindle, but there is not as much bad blood between the two, and Kindle was approved before iBooks was out. Apple could use the "duplicates core functionality" reasoning, and say kindle was grandfathered in before the iBooks was available. Or they can take their time approving it.

Good to know that the books will be in ePub though.

I don't see why, or how Apple would do that. It's not just the Kindle. It's the Nook, and the app from Borders, and as we've seen in this thread, the app from iPulpfiction, and others. Then there are the many other book readers out there, such as Stanza. This is good for Apple, and I think they know that.
  • Reply 43 of 49
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    This is just a natural evolution of Google Books. They didn't scan all those books for nothing. And that started well before there was iBooks or an iPad.

And this doesn't damage Apple at all (unless iBooks is a major revenue source). This just helps Apple sell more iPads; the tablet with the best Google Books experience.
  • Reply 44 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by os2baba View Post

Must be a problem with that book. The page number in ebooks is the same as in hard copy books. If you increase the font, you just end up with more screens of the same page.

Um, no, that's not true unless it's a PDF. ePub books reflow depending on screen or font size. A "page" is one screen with no scrolling. If it's a PDF, then you either make the page fit your screen or scroll both horizontally and vertically.
  • Reply 45 of 49
    umijinumijin Posts: 133member
    I can purchase content from the US iTunes store even though I live in Japan, because I have a credit card via my US bank account. So, I can get iBooks and other eBooks, even via the Amazon Kindle store. But I can't do so for Google's ebook app, as they read your IP and block, regardless. This is in variance with other apps' so called 'in-app' purchases.

So, I'm not going to use Google books at all until they stop being so draconian. And no, I don't care about supposed international licensing agreements for content.
  • Reply 46 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umijin View Post

I can purchase content from the US iTunes store even though I live in Japan, because I have a credit card via my US bank account. So, I can get iBooks and other eBooks, even via the Amazon Kindle store. But I can't do so for Google's ebook app, as they read your IP and block, regardless. This is in variance with other apps' so called 'in-app' purchases.

So, I'm not going to use Google books at all until they stop being so draconian. And no, I don't care about supposed international licensing agreements for content.

You can't really blame Google for the geographical restrictions. That's an anachronism left over from print book contracts. Even print publishers chafe under this burden which is intended to give authors more bargaining power.

My guess is that your being able to purchase using a US credit card while living in Japan is either a mistake or a difference in interpretation of the geographical restrictions.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Eh... Is this a joke, or did they just scan a bunch of old books, with raster artifacts and all, and published in their book store? I just checked out a preview of Peter Pan and it looked HORRIBLE!! I guesss new books will be based on their digital master, but... Wtf..?

Also, "OPEN" and "3 MILLION" but as previous posters pointed out ONLY IN THE US. ("The eBookstore will be activated for international users early next year." http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...oks_eBookstore)

What sort of nonsense is Google trying to pull? I'm getting sick of all this rubbish about everyone claiming to be "OPEN" and "CHOICE" and "FULL INTERNET" and all this absolute garbage. Why are there geographic restrictions on eBooks still?

Say it as it is. Stop using the word "OPEN" and "CHOICE" as though suddenly all the fighting in the world has stopped and the evil Apple empire has been defeated and I can marry my gay pet turtle with everyone being happy about it.
  • Reply 48 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

You can't really blame Google for the geographical restrictions...

I guess just sweat-shop scanning all kinds of existing physical books and ripping them off that way is where Google drew the line. They were not willing to take on the antiquated geographical restrictions. *SIGH*
  • Reply 49 of 49
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    IP Geolocation blocking on Google eBooks. This just keeps getting better. I'll stick to my US iBookStore funded legally through Gift Cards, thank you. I guess the publishing industry wants to curl up in a corner and die like the TV and movie industry. Openness, Choice, and Freedom from Google wins yet again.

This eBookStore from Google is a scam to promote Android globally even though Google eBooks are not available globally. Yet more promises like "The Full Flash Experience on Android" not living up to the hype.