Demand for all-in-one PCs surges as Apple's iMac leads the way

Comments

• Reply 21 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Except for towers, all computers are "all-in-ones." All rack mount computers, all laptops, all mobiles, all tablets, etc. etc. It's kind of a meaningless metric to measure when you think about it.

You really don’t understand that All-In-One refers specifically to desktop computers, which mostly still sell the monitor as a separate unit?
  • Reply 22 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

How about having both touchscreen and a trackpad for the next Macs..

How about not making us pay for a touchscreen feature that we don't want?

Go through the motions and pretend to use a touchscreen on an iMac for just 15 minutes and then decide if you really want a touchscreen on it.
  • Reply 23 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

+1

Sent from my all-in-one iMac that won't support an OS above 10.6.2 without replacing the graphics card... c'mon Apple... help us out! (first time in over 20 years [and close to 20 Macs] that Apple sold me a bit of a lemon... but otherwise it works perfectly).

Don't know where you came up with that one. OS X 10.6.5 (the most current version) will install on ANY Mac with an Intel CPU, 1GB of RAM, and 5GB of hard drive space.
  • Reply 24 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

Don't know where you came up with that one. OS X 10.6.5 (the most current version) will install on ANY Mac with an Intel CPU, 1GB of RAM, and 5GB of hard drive space.

It struck me as odd, too, so I checked. As you say, all Intel iMacs support the latest version of Mac OS X. In fact, it?s either support for 10.6.5, or 10.5.8, which means it?s a PPC-based iMac. That means that even a 32-bit, 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo ?Yonah? with 2GB RAM that shipped with 10.4.4 and released in January 2006 supports 10.6.5, and will likely be supported until the end of 10.6, when I think either 64-bit Macs or OpenCL supported Macs will be required for 10.7.
  • Reply 25 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"...demand for all-in-one PCs has been "surging" recently... Apple is the leading seller of all-in-one PCs... Sources indicated that all-in-one PCs see better demand from the enterprise... component suppliers indicated that the presence of touchscreens in all-in-one desktops is expected to grow... Steve Jobs said... he believes touchscreens don't work when placed in front of a user."

Demand surging, hmm, you don't say.

Apple is the leader, hmm, who else makes a *decent* 'all-in-one'? Nobody. Ok.

More demand from enterprise? Surprising, I'm not sure I buy that. My company is opposite.

Touchscreens? For desktop use they suck, but they have their place - for example: point-of-sale systems - perfect scenario for a touch screen.
  • Reply 26 of 61
    Quote:

Look it up... a lot of mid 2007 iMacs have an issue with not being able to upgrade beyond 10.6.2. Something was added to 10.6.3 (and beyond) that breaks these computers. I've had a few people tell me that things seemed to get corrected after they had their graphics card replaced... but at $250+ I have to ask if it's worth it at this point. Apple definitely won't admit to the problem publicly... I would imagine the error rate is either low or a lot of people just haven't updated those Macs or they got rid of them because they crash all of the time.
  • Reply 27 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Industry sources reportedly said that Apple is the leading seller of all-in-one PCs, with its iMac line allegedly accounting for about 40 percent of total sales in 2010.

Why is this stated as accusation of wrongdoing, or as though it might be a bad thing?
  • Reply 28 of 61
    Do a price breakdown on the latest iMacs, making sure to account for the high-resolution IPS screens, full-speed harddrives, Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, fully-capable commercial OS, and iLife, and you'll probably find that they're actually cheaper than any competitor.
  • Reply 29 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

...I would have thought that IT types would be horrified by the idea that they can't keep reusing the same monitor as they go through multiple upgrades of the beige box...

Exactly. My company's IT keeps the monitor until it dies (or until the employees get sooo tired of looking at a 17" screen that it meets up with a timely 'accident'), and they replace the box every 3 years, although the box is now black instead of beige.
  • Reply 30 of 61
    Quote:

Look it up... a lot of mid 2007 iMacs have an issue with not being able to upgrade beyond 10.6.2. Something was added to 10.6.3 (and beyond) that breaks these computers. I've had a few people tell me that things seemed to get corrected after they had their graphics card replaced... but at $250+ I have to ask if it's worth it at this point. Apple definitely won't admit to the problem publicly... I would imagine the error rate is either low or a lot of people just haven't updated those Macs or they got rid of them because they crash all of the time.

Your first implication is that there are iMacs that aren?t designed to support Mac OS X beyond 10.6.2, now you are saying there is an unresolved graphics issue that is preventing ?you? from risking the upgrade. That is a very different thing.

Also, I say call Apple can get them to resolve it. They support the OS on those machines so even if you are out of warranty they have an obligation to make it work.

Quote:

Exactly. My company's IT keeps the monitor until it dies (or until the employees get sooo tired of looking at a 17" screen that it meets up with a timely 'accident'), and they replace the box every 3 years, although the box is now black instead of beige.

It?s possible that break/fix IT departments have been dumbed down and reduced in numbers at companies to lower costs. One option would be to make any ?PC? issues that are HW related to be replaced with a single AIO unit. Less wires and less effort. If they are under warranty from their distributer they just send them back, if they do have iMacs they probably have a pretty good resale value. Plus, with intranet speeds and browser-based computing increasing the effort to set up a new machine could be as simple as your log in pulling your user profile from a server, which is already common.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    Quote:

If I recall, there were some iMacs with a graphics card problem that were fixed with a firmware update. All these machines are compatible with 10.6.5 If your machine has an issue unresolved by firmware fix, I'd say pester Apple about it every day until they fix it.
  • Reply 31 of 61
    So when can we expect the iMac to be updated?
  • Reply 33 of 61
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Quote:

If I recall, there were some iMacs with a graphics card problem that were fixed with a firmware update. All these machines are compatible with 10.6.5 If your machine has an issue unresolved by firmware fix, I'd say pester Apple about it every day until they fix it.

It is an odd issue relating to 'some' 07 iMacs. There was a similar issue with 27" iMacs when they came out, if I remember right. The affected 07 iMacs (I had this problem) check out fine no matter what HW test you throw at it, yet when you install any OS after 10.6.2 the OS taxes the graphics card in a way that makes the computer freeze. There are threads on this subject on Apple Support forums.

Apple argued that it was a hardware problem which only a graphics card replacement would fix. As a 2007 machine is out of warranty one would have to shell out a fair bit of money to replace the graphics card with the exact same card. Is it worth it? is the big question.

I argued that it was a software fault as you could not crash my machine for love nor money whilst running 10.6.2 and Apple eventually replaced the card free of charge. In order for this to happen I had to bring my machine to the Genius bar a handful of times, purchase an Apple Care single incident 'session' and provide Apple with links to the various discussion threads on their forums to prove that this was indeed not a singular case. Even so the resolution was an judgement call by a very nice Apple Care person who overturned a previous decision.
  • Reply 34 of 61
    Quote:

Hey... myself and a few dozen others (that I know about) have been pestering Apple for quite a while but they seem to refuse to acknowledge that there is a problem.

The firmware fix was actually for iMacs dated around January of 2008 and beyond. It seems there is nothing they could do with the mid 2007 iMacs other than to replace the graphics cards or just to ignore us. They seem to have chosen the ignore route.

I'm a bit upset but it's the first time in over 20 years and a lot of Macs so it's easier to blow it off...
  • Reply 35 of 61
    Deleted
  • Reply 36 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Who even makes an all-in-one PC besides Apple and a couple of HP models?

I don't see how it makes sense to say that Apple is missing out on 60% of the "All-in-one" market. Who are the other vendors?

It's kind of a stupid designation anyway ("all-in-one").

Except for towers, all computers are "all-in-ones." All rack mount computers, all laptops, all mobiles, all tablets, etc. etc. It's kind of a meaningless metric to measure when you think about it.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-one-2305-amd/pd

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...om%2Findex.php

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/dstore/SubFamMatrix.asp?oi=E9CED&BEID=19701&SBLID=&Produc tLineId=429&FamilyId=2969&LowBaseId=33899&LowPrice =$839.01&jumpid=re_r295_psg_dtgw_AIO_category_1/psgpromo&psn=desktops_workstations/desktop_pcs#

http://us.acer.com/acer/productv.do?...&CRC=592837163

http://www.gateway.com/programs/zxse...pnav_computers

http://usa.asus.com/ProductGroup1.as...XJ3CLh1yFNP8gU
  • Reply 37 of 61
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    If you want a touchscreen computer, get an iPad. Everything else sucks. (I’ve tried an all-in-one touchscreen PC.)
  • Reply 38 of 61
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

The magic trackpad works awesome. It's funny how many people still using PCs will say they don't like the fact that Mac laptops only have a trackpad & don't have the little stick in the center of the keyboard. They think trackpad & all they can imagine is the horribly cramped & useless little things that come on PC laptops. I now prefer trackpads to a mouse thanks to my Mac!

I never thought i'd give up the mouse either and yet when it comes to using the Mac's I enjoy using them without a mouse nowadays. I only use them at work. When I work with others and their Windows laptops the mouse is still a must have. Maybe some of the mac copies (the HP envy?) might be getting better trackpads and software but I'm not convinced they're the same, yet.
  • Reply 39 of 61
    Quote:

+1

Sent from my all-in-one iMac that won't support an OS above 10.6.2 without replacing the graphics card... c'mon Apple... help us out! (first time in over 20 years [and close to 20 Macs] that Apple sold me a bit of a lemon... but otherwise it works perfectly).

Which iMac would that be?

They've been all-in-one from the very beginning around '98.
  • Reply 40 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Hopefully there'll be some good all-in-ones that don't include the Apple tax!

What you call an "Apple Tax", I call a "PC Firesale". How else can they sell junk systems?

Troll elsewhere.