Sharp, Apple partnering to build $1.2B LCD plant - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I agree. My father likes the iPhone but much of the text is too small for his eyes.

Very few apps allow you to control the size of text.

I think an iPhone with a larger screen and louder receiver/speaker would be great for seniors.

That's where the new Apple iGlasses come into play.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLoveBurgers View Post

I can't believe apple are trying to get everything produced by them. First it was processors, now it's LCDs. I wonder how long before we see apple producing the raw materials. I really feel apple should pass some of the benefits of this onto the consumer, though. Apple's prices seem to be going up and up and up.

Apple doesn't actually make it's own chips. It only designs them, and the designs are based on an Arm CPU and a PowerVR GPU, so Apple can only take credit for a fraction of the design. These rumors don't suggest that Apple is going to actually build the LCD screens, merely that they will at least partially finance new factories to create them. Apple surely won't manage the factories, however they may end up owning a stake in them.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Seems Apple would be smart to be at least a minority shareholder in companies in which they have large, long-term contracts.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Sharp are known for their high quality screens for keitai (mobile phones) in Japan. If true, good move by Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Seems Apple would be smart to be at least a minority shareholder in companies in which they have large, long-term contracts.

Yep. Apple has become such a huge consumer of certain parts that it makes complete sense for them to extend themselves to secure their supplies. We know that capacity has been a problem for some devices, what better way to fix that than to help finance expansion of capacity at the source? More parts, and first crack at them, at a no doubt excellent price.

That, coupled with Apple's buying power (allowing them to lock in prices on big chunks of a vendor's output over an extended period) is and will be a real strategic advantage. If Apple can get parts first, and for less, even to the point of creating shortages for the competition, how do you fight that?
  • Reply 26 of 42
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,817member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

That's where the new Apple iGlasses come into play.

All kidding aside, WiFi equipped Apple iGlasses that seemingly project a 3D movie in front of you with the apparent size of an IMAX movie screen and earbuds with Dolby Surround Sound would be pretty high on my Christmas wish list if they existed
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Before making TVs I wish Apple would offer a 27" monitor with a non-glossy display. The Internet is full of complaints from people who don't like the glossy monitor and that includes me.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skauser View Post

Before making TVs I wish Apple would offer a 27" monitor with a non-glossy display. The Internet is full of complaints from people who don't like the glossy monitor and that includes me.

How do you manage with TVs as a matter of interest? I haven't seen a matte TV personally.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    Are these people who make up these reports just simply running through a list of companies that produce screens are they?

"Well we were wrong about Toshiba. Who's next? Oh right, Apple is making a plant with..."

Sharp

Samsung

Sony

Panasonic

LG

"Let's just work the way down the list shall we?"
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

How do you manage with TVs as a matter of interest? I haven't seen a matte TV personally.

I haven't noticed any major reflections on televisions, but maybe it's because I hardly ever watch TV. Sitting 15 feet away from a TV is different from sitting two feet away staring at a monitor for hours on end. Only today I was at the Apple store and there's no doubt that the glare from the glossy screen is very prominent.

I bought a 27-inch Dell monitor and it had a horrendous sparkle effect because of the anti-glare coating. I ended up returning it. The Apple monitor is much better but it would be even nicer if it was matte.

My current 20-inch monitor is my benchmark. It doesn't have a sparkle effect like the Dell nor is it glossy like the Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I would have been impressed if they had invested in OLED rather than LCD as they are the future.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skauser View Post

I haven't noticed any major reflections on televisions, but maybe it's because I hardly ever watch TV. Sitting 15 feet away from a TV is different from sitting two feet away staring at a monitor for hours on end. Only today I was at the Apple store and there's no doubt that the glare from the glossy screen is very prominent.

I bought a 27-inch Dell monitor and it had a horrendous sparkle effect because of the anti-glare coating. I ended up returning it. The Apple monitor is much better but it would be even nicer if it was matte.

My current 20-inch monitor is my benchmark. It doesn't have a sparkle effect like the Dell nor is it glossy like the Apple.

I used plenty of matte Barco monitors in color calibration systems, in darkened rooms, gamma set to print levels and color temperature at 5600 mid day Kelvin. Personally I love the bright colors of my MacBook Pro now, it's like being let out of prison

Regarding TVs though, as you say, it's all about angles and reflections... even sitting eight feet away. My darn Christmas tree lights are currently in the exact position to make watching my HD TV impossible from the couch if turned on. So I find the same with my MBP, a slight turn or screen angle change and all is well, far better to do that than suffer the dull matte look IMHO.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

Too bad there's no Pioneer for AppleTV plasma displays. Oh well, there's alwas Panasonic or Samsung...

You beat me to it!

Imagine a Kuro-AppleTV, oh wait I already have one.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    There was a recent AppleInsider article about Apple's patent for a touch screen that can sense how far away from the screen the user's finger is located...combine that with Sharp's non-eyeglass dependent 3D screen http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/12/s...by-3d-tvs-lau/ and you've got a very interesting display for desktop computers for architects and designers (and gamers).
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

While I can understand the excitement about a large screen Apple TV I'm actually hoping this is about something else product wise. For one Apple needs a range of iPhones and I would love to have one with a slightly larger screen. In a iPhone sized device even a 1/4" in screen height and an inch in length would do wonders.

Then there is the sub seven inch iPad/iPod Touch device. Here I'm not talking something that is a direct competitor to the iPad but rather something that runs iOS but is optimized for wide screen. 16:9 would be the minimal width ratio.

A large screen Apple TV wouldn't be a bad thing it is just that I wouldn't run out and buy it on the day it is released. A larger iPhone on the other hand would be an immediate purchase.

An Apple branded TV will never happen. TVs have too small a profit margin to be of interest to Apple.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's called an "iPad."

You can't make a call with an iPad dumba$$
  • Reply 37 of 42
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's called an "iPad."

good one dude
  • Reply 38 of 42
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I think this is merely the first step. Sharp produce some of the best LCD panel ( although they are expensive ) and have a roadmap that will lead LCD to complete with OLED.

However i always wonder how these partnership works. So Sharp listed out all the thing it cost to build a plant. Apple goes out to find if these are reasonable. Apple Paid most of it. And do Sharp sell them at manufacturing cost? And sell the rest at much market cost?

Why Apple goes as far as to paid for Manufacturing?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    LCD can not compete with OLED. OLED is still in it's infancy and already outperforms LCD which is a very mature technology.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thor008u2 View Post

Word! A gorgeous AppleTV, that is. Much larger than the current desktop cinema display....

And 5x more expensive than a better looking Panasonic.