My House

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Here is the deal. My wife and I are purchasing a new construction home to be completed this summer. It was started early, and everything was going fine. The foundation was done, and they had just started framing.

Then the morons backed into the foundation with a truck. They have to replace part of foundation wall, and now the framing lumber has been sitting in the weather (and mud) for 4 weeks. They have assured us it will be fixed properly, but I'm really pissed now. All the other houses started around the same time are now framed and are starting to get the siding on. Houses that were started after mine are now equal to or AHEAD of its construction state To make matters worse, there is some cracked lumber already laid for the floor joists.

Again, they have assured my realtor (who is a tiger, so to speak) that everything that needs to be replaced will be. The problem is that if this causes a delay we might be screwed with our current apartment complex as far as a lease ending date is concerned.

SON OF A BITCH!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    Do you have a real estate lawyer? Not a realtor, but a lawyer?

They might be able to force the constructions company to pay for any extra costs you may have ie. apt. rental.

I've always heard the smartest thing to do when buying a house is to get a real estate lawyer, not just a realtor. Just in case.

Hope everything works out for you - and soon! I'm sure you're dying to move into your new home. I would be.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by seb:

<strong>Do you have a real estate lawyer? Not a realtor, but a lawyer?

They might be able to force the constructions company to pay for any extra costs you may have ie. apt. rental.

I've always heard the smartest thing to do when buying a house is to get a real estate lawyer, not just a realtor. Just in case.

Hope everything works out for you - and soon! I'm sure you're dying to move into your new home. I would be.</strong><hr></blockquote>

good advice, but do it only if the thing are getting wrong. Lawyer are interested by money and should make you loose money. Try to resolve your problems yourself first. If it does not work, then , yes , take a lawyer.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Make damned sure this construction company is responsible for anything that happens to the foundation or the floor joists in the future. Having a hard-ass realtor is great, but I will second the advice of having the lawyer on hand as well.

Lawyers get a bad rap because people screw up and get deservedly (in general) nailed to the wall. The lawful and proper have nothing to fear of lawyers, it's just like having a really really knowledgable friend.

At the very least talk to one for advice, they will know how to make sure you get the best out of this without getting the shaft. Lawyers are great, they aren't just for frivolous civil lawsuits.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Actually, due to the incredibble complexity of law in the United States, it's quite normal to think that you are following all the laws, and actually be breaking quite a few and/or insulting and/or damaging someone else without knowing it.

A talented lawyer can always find something about you to sue.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    When it comes to someone in a specialty field working with someone who doesn't know about it there is an assload of room for abuse. In which case, lawyers for the layman or amazingly prudent.