HP's Jon Rubinstein slams Android, takes on Apple's iPad

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

Interesting article. I still don't see how HP's acquisition of Palm changes the competitive landscape in any meaningful way. HP should have focused on Android and Windows phones, but instead they opted to go down the same road as Apple, but without the installed base, developer loyalty, or marketing savvy. No wonder they dumped Mark Hurd...

I don't think you are giving HP enough credit. They rightly realized that by using Android or licensing Windows Phone 7 they would forever be beholden to someone else. I give them credit for acknowledging the value in Apple's approach and pursuing it. Yup, it will take them some time to get up to speed and get competitive with Apple, but as long as HP culture doesn't squish Web OS and kill the good parts of it within a year or so they could really be giving Apple a run for their money.

I give them a far better chance of pulling in significant revenue vs. all the "Me Too's" running Android or Windows Phone 7.

And I wouldn't want to be a Windows Phone 7 licensee either - how long before MS "zunes" the Windows Phone 7 market and brings it in house too?

As for Android, it will sell probably more than everyone else, but have a fraction of the revenue for the hardware makers and programmers. Heck, that's what's happening today and I don't think you are going to see anything in Android change to convince Android users to start paying for apps...
  • Reply 42 of 48
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Who cared about Apple back in 1998?

Apparently they were the proverbial tail wagging the PC industry dog because it wasn't long after the candy colored iMac's that there was literally an EXPLOSION of candy colored USB devices (and candy colored Windows clones in candy colored cases).

For a company as irrelevant (sic) as Apple everyone still seems pretty intent on copying them
  • Reply 43 of 48
    Whoever decided to delete my post, fuck you. If it was you Daniel, don't think you can just erase history and I won't notice. Have the decency of posting a warning first, if anything.

Quote:

"That's just not true," Rubinstein replied. "We had the unique opportunity to start from a blank sheet of paper. Palm OS, the original Palm OS, was sixteen years old, and hadn't been supported in a while. So it really wasn't anything we could leverage from."

That's right, you are a troll looking for page hits Daniel. Take your headline and shove it up your ass.
  • Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Apparently they were the proverbial tail wagging the PC industry dog because it wasn't long after the candy colored iMac's that there was literally an EXPLOSION of candy colored USB devices (and candy colored Windows clones in candy colored cases).

For a company as irrelevant (sic) as Apple everyone still seems pretty intent on copying them

Yeah, probably seeing the business opportunity of selling a decent mouse to those poor suckers!!!
  • Reply 45 of 48
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Venerable

If he's serious about not having used the iPhone then he's truly an idiot. Studying a device that's sold in the tens of millions shouldn't be an impediment to designing his OS "from scratch." It's pretty essential to the learning process.

Hogwash.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lales

As for Rubenstein's touting his "no iPhone experience", the most telling difference between he and Jobs: Jobs made a point of saying how Apple studied all the phones out there, saw what was missing, and started work on the iPhone.

Why must the iPhone be studied? Why couldn't Rubenstein do like Apple (and study all the phones that preceded the iPhone) to come up with something as good as or better than the iPhone?

It's an absurd notion on its face. It's like saying a person can't be an artist until they've gone to art school or done market research to which artworks have been the most successful.

To draw another analogy--this one to movies--studious sometimes screen a film for input before it's released. Good, bad, or indifferent, it is certainly not essential to making a wonderful movie. Same deal with phones and everything else.

Edit: To continue with the movie idea...

If a film is being remade; it may behoove the director to never see the original before his/her own version is complete. Is that a hard concept to understand?
  • Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ihxo View Post

got to at least give them some credit for being creative.

This is how I see it

iOS = Mac OS (The benchmark)

WebOS = BeOS (The underdog with some creative edge)

Android = Windows (well... you get the idea)

This is not really correct, technically speaking. Android team has a plenty of ex-BeOS engineers onboard from the very beginning and many of the BeOS concepts made it into the Android thus if you appoint some OS as descendant of BeOS it would be Android, even if it was Palm who bought Be later on.

I got your point, though.

This iOS vs. Android (vs. Palm) battle is an interesting twist and rematch of the history. BeOS was a leading candidate to be acquired as the next OS for Apple, but they couldn't agree on the price. Apple than went to another advanced OS, that was struggling to attract users, the NextSTEP and reunited with Jobs.

It is also worth of noting, that JL Gassee, founder of BeOS was Jobs replacement at the top of Mac product line and created a project that ended to be Newton MessagePad, the first Apple generation of "tablet".

History is full of irony.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karmadave View Post

Interesting article. I still don't see how HP's acquisition of Palm changes the competitive landscape in any meaningful way. HP should have focused on Android and Windows phones, but instead they opted to go down the same road as Apple, but without the installed base, developer loyalty, or marketing savvy. No wonder they dumped Mark Hurd...

That last sentence should have read "And then on top of all that they dumped Mark Hurd".
  • Reply 48 of 48
    [QUOTE=WIJG;1773757]

It's an absurd notion on its face. It's like saying a person can't be an artist until they've gone to art school or done market research to which artworks have been the most successful. QUOTE]

As you may be right, let's be totally honest...If you want to be successful painter or whatever don't you think you need to study other artist...Name a few famous artists that in fact did not study other artist works. Do you think Raphael and Michelangelo completely ignored Leonardo's work...of course not..they studied it and took bits and pieces of his work and transformed into theirs...competition brings a greater product and without knowing your competition how can you truly know you created a greater product?