CES: Next-gen iPad case mockup, Lenovo reveals iPad challenger

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Everything? I didn't realize Apple made refrigerators, cameras, televisions or dishwashers...

Although I'd like to see them do that.

They made cameras. QuickTake!

iWash. One quart of water, six watts. But only 100% cotton clothes.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    LePad?

And you thought the iPad/tampon jokes were overdone - wait until that one hits the market.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 24 of 41
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Hmm, I like the flat back on the new iPad. I didn't really like the rounded edges on that and the iPod touch since it never laid flat.

I hope the next iPad is lighter, too. It has a lot of unncessecary weight, imo.

You think apple's engineers put some extra weight into the current iPad, just for kicks?
  • Reply 25 of 41
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    Isn't Apple planning on opening some extraordinary number of new stores in China this year? Like a dozen or so?
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

You think apple's engineers put some extra weight into the current iPad, just for kicks?

I love how a simple comment got you so upset.

With less-heavy casing I assume it would be pretty simple to make it at least a little lighter.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

With less-heavy casing I assume it would be pretty simple to make it at least a little lighter.

It already weighs about the same as a pint of beer. Nobody seems to have any problem lifting those repeatedly.
  • Reply 28 of 41
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... In July 2010, Lenovo CEO Liu Chuanzhi reportedly said that his company is "lucky that Steve Jobs has such a bad temper and doesn't care about China," noting that the company "would be in trouble" if Apple spent the same amount of effort as Lenovo on the Chinese consumer. ...

Oops. That statement will be quoted for all eternity, each time Apple has another epic win in China.

And that will be happening increasingly frequently from now on.
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Isn't it funny how so many people and news media mocked the name iPad, and now that it became successful you get competing products named LePad and EePad?

Well, you have to hand it to Dell for bucking that trend with its Brown Streak.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Quote:

Everything? I didn't realize Apple made refrigerators, cameras, televisions or dishwashers...

Although I'd like to see them do that.

No, that's LG (lotsa garbage) that makes everything from barbecues to ship propellors to fertilizer. Lucky goldstone indeed.
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tofino View Post

Anybody around here (besides Dick Applebaum and me) old enough to remember the Princess phone that AT&T sold in the 60s? The first models were impossible to dial (they only had rotary dials in those days as well) because the phone slid all over the table when you tried to spin that dial. AT&T had to insert a couple of lead weights (I'm not making this up!) to make it heavy enough so that the non-slip pads on the bottom actually gripped the table's surface.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Anybody around here (besides Dick Applebaum and me) old enough to remember the Princess phone that AT&T sold in the 60s? The first models were impossible to dial (they only had rotary dials in those days as well) because the phone slid all over the table when you tried to spin that dial. AT&T had to insert a couple of lead weights (I'm not making this up!) to make it heavy enough so that the non-slip pads on the bottom actually gripped the table's surface.

Wouldn't it have been easier to make a dialing mechanism with more play in it, thus lowering the amount of force required to spin it?
  • Reply 33 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wouldn't it have been easier to make a dialing mechanism with more play in it, thus lowering the amount of force required to spin it?

Since I worked on those phones as a repairman I think I have some insight to that problem.

The rotary dials were built to a certain specification. The rewind mechanism was a heavy-duty spring made to withstand years of dialing phone numbers with at least seven digits. When rewinding, the dial would actuate a make/break circuit that had to be very precise (IIRC ten pulses per second) or the switching equipment in the central office wouldn't recognize the dialed digit.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

I love how a simple comment got you so upset. ;.

Careful, you don't want to show your hand too quickly. Get a few dozen posts in, at least.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Careful, you don't want to show your hand too quickly. Get a few dozen posts in, at least.

And at least put a little thought into the username. I caught him on his 2nd post but he denied it.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by valanchan View Post

Apple has yet to flex it's software muscles.

They could put the emphasis on software rather than functions. I hope they put iLife on the app store. It may update iWork for iPad2.

They should definitely bring iLife to the iPad.

By the inherit limitations in iPad apps they wont be as good as the desktop counterpart but will prove to be more than adequate for many users' needs.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Apple has a serious problem in China in that most of the iPhones and iPads here are purchased on the gray market and come from the sellers already hacked and loaded with pirated software. Further, the iTunes store is not easy to access or purchase from due to credit card / transaction restrictions. Even iMac sales are problematic for Apple as many, if not most, run them with Windoze XP crap instead of OS X, even when they purchase them from the Apple store directly so consumers don't fully understand the tremendous advantages of running OS X and un-hacked iOS (such as ease of doing updates).
  • Reply 38 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Isn't it funny how so many people and news media mocked the name iPad, and now that it became successful you get competing products named LePad and EePad?

sorry for quoting you again but to be more specific lenovos product line (of mobile computer)

Thinkpad (laptop, business grade)

Ideapad (for regular consumers, lifestyle grade)
  • Reply 39 of 41
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

ThinkPad was an IBM brand - how many years does it predate the iPad?

which lenovo bought from them

either way, i think that Lenovo reducing boot time to 20s or so, is much more important

lenovo is the only big brand of computer manufactures (ie, dell/hp/sony/etc) that i trust besides Apple, and smaller brands (sager etc)

i think that Lenovo is the only current PC manufacturer that will be able to match up against Apple, in terms of quality, and product innovation unless other manufacturers change drastically