Apple releases Mac OS X 10.6.6 with Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 201 of 251
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Anyone getting some random beach balls with 10.6.6 particularly starting Safari or iPhoto
  • Reply 202 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Anyone getting some random beach balls with 10.6.6 particularly starting Safari or iPhoto

YES! I don't know why, but my macbook pro is now very sluggish and I get the beach balls. Safari gets them, starting up takes longer once it gets to the desktop - as in, it boots fast to the desktop but then having the icons on it and at the top take forever. Kinda sucks...
  • Reply 203 of 251
    wonderwonder Posts: 229member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

is not about promoting a thriving developer community. It's about channeling more profits into Apple's own coffers.

That is the primary purpose of a shareholder owned company.
  • Reply 204 of 251
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary54 View Post

Example: Do a search for "CAD". Under the old downloads format, you'd come up with over a dozen hits. Try it now. Zero hits. In a year from now, you will get a few. But none of the significant apps will ever show up. Because they install resources and use alternate licensing procedures than permitted.

Do a yahoo search for .... "cad programs for Mac" and you get 11 plus pages of hits, with autocad and turbocad both on 1st page. Stop bitchin' and use your imagination.
  • Reply 205 of 251
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoe-Bob View Post

I just got this feedback from Macworld:

"Unfortunately, aside from Apple's apps, the Mac App Store will not recognize or acknowledge licenses for third-party apps that you already own. Some third-party apps appear as "installed" in the store right now, but that's a technical hiccup; they will not be updated by the Mac App Store unless you trash your existing non-store version and re-purchase from the store.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Apple simply isn't offering a transition system for developers. Developers would obviously love to transition your existing licenses into the store, but it simply isn't possible.

This will all be covered in our Mac App Store FAQ posts, which are coming soon. Stay tuned."

Don't be surprised if this changes. I mean, come on. It's day 1 of the Mac App Store.
  • Reply 206 of 251
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The Final Cut Studio is over 30GB for sure but the individual apps in the suite only come to 5GB or so when installed without the templates and extras. Individually the apps are smaller still around 1GB or under. Apple could sell them separately and have an online template gallery that you can browse and download the ones you want when you need them.

Selling FCS for £499 would seriously put people off buying Premiere or Avid no matter how crusty it gets.

This should help drive down the cost of Mac games as well as other software.

I'm with you. Apple should EOL FCE (It's super deprecated anyway) and unbundle the Final Cut Studio on Mac App Store, sell the individual Apps for, say about £99.99 a pop (Average. FCP - or rather, Final Cut as it would presumably be renamed with the axing of FCE - might go for something similar to the old FCE price of £130 for example, £150 tops) and laugh all the way to the bank. AVID, Sony and Adobe won't be able to touch them at those prices.

But, and I can't stress this enough, not until they've got a 64-Bit Cocoa, GCD-enabled (And preferably hardware-accelerated) build of Final Cut. Mainly because I refuse to buy another Final Cut reference release until they've done that. I'm hoping they're putting it out with Lion, or shortly after.
  • Reply 207 of 251
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

Then why isn't the App Store recognizing that I have the latest version installed? The only thing it recognizes apparently is the iLife apps.

I don't know what's going on with your Mac; the App Store sees that I have Pages, Numbers and Keynote installed here.
  • Reply 208 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

Then why isn't the App Store recognizing that I have the latest version installed? The only thing it recognizes apparently is the iLife apps.

Question...Are the .App files in Macintosh HD/Applications? I had some Apps in Macintosh HD/Users/Jensonb/Applications it wasn't finding, and it did when I moved them to Macintosh HD/Applications (Purely coincidental, I just happen to be changing my workflow at the moment - I also just added two more Spaces)
  • Reply 209 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

I'm with you. Apple should EOL FCE (It's super deprecated anyway) and unbundle the Final Cut Studio on Mac App Store, sell the individual Apps for, say about £99.99 a pop (Average. FCP - or rather, Final Cut as it would presumably be renamed with the axing of FCE - might go for something similar to the old FCE price of £130 for example, £150 tops) and laugh all the way to the bank. AVID, Sony and Adobe won't be able to touch them at those prices.

But, and I can't stress this enough, not until they've got a 64-Bit Cocoa, GCD-enabled (And preferably hardware-accelerated) build of Final Cut. Mainly because I refuse to buy another Final Cut reference release until they've done that. I'm hoping they're putting it out with Lion, or shortly after.

Agreed. I don't care how cheap FCP gets. Until they catch up with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (and they never will, since Premiere Pro can encode and burn BD-R and Apple is against Blu-Ray) in features and performance, I won't use it!

And yes, I own Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, so I know what I'm talking about. That Mercury Engine is impressive.
  • Reply 210 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timothyjay2004 View Post

YES! I don't know why, but my macbook pro is now very sluggish and I get the beach balls. Safari gets them, starting up takes longer once it gets to the desktop - as in, it boots fast to the desktop but then having the icons on it and at the top take forever. Kinda sucks...

Thanks for the warnings. I'm going to hold off on 10.6.6 until its sorted out.
  • Reply 211 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomohr View Post

ugh, why do I have to be at work

I retired last month
  • Reply 212 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boboosta View Post

I see that Leopard is not supported. Looks like I'll finally replace my G5 Power Mac so I can run Snow Leopard.

I believe it is apple's way of saying .. Get a new Mac.
  • Reply 213 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Agreed. I don't care how cheap FCP gets. Until they catch up with Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 (and they never will, since Premiere Pro can encode and burn BD-R and Apple is against Blu-Ray) in features and performance, I won't use it!

And yes, I own Adobe Premiere Pro CS5, so I know what I'm talking about. That Mercury Engine is impressive.

I can't stomach Premiere Pro, it's just not for me. I'm mostly getting by with the current Final Cut and occasionally using Media Composer 5 from AVID (Which I'm also not a huge fan of because it makes me do things its way instead of just letting me do things).
  • Reply 214 of 251
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 215 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Adobe has to be freaking.

Hopefully developers will be able to sell more software to offset the lower prices. More reasonably priced software would also reduce software piracy.

I doubt Adobe is "freaking". Their product is geared towards professionals, and Lightroom is the dominant software (along with Photoshop/Camera Raw) amongst professional photographers. While Apple was adding iPhoto "features" in the last Aperture update and basically letting the image handling basically stay the same, Adobe added to their already superior image handling, which is what their user base was most interested in. If they want to compete with Aperture 4, 5 and 6, they might just fold some more Lightroom features into future versions of Photoshop Elements, which is their $79 program. It's been said many times, but to actual professionals, Adobes prices are extremely reasonable for what they are.

What worries me is the prospect of Apple incorporating iLife "features" into the next Final Cut Studio while letting it lag behind Premiere and Avid in technology. Sure, a $79 Final Cut Studio would be nice, but most professionals care more about having the most powerful/best quality tools available, even if it means a higher price tag...
  • Reply 216 of 251
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

25%. In Sweden. And it goes for both Mac App store as well as any other "channel". Ireland I don't know about.

I asked because at the bottom of some pages in the UK store they list

Quote:

Prices are inclusive of VAT (20%) but exclusive of delivery charges unless otherwise indicated.The VAT rate for Electronic Software Downloads or other Apple products classified as services under EU VAT law will be (21%) as VAT is charged at the rate payable in the country where Apple Sales International supplies such products, which is the Republic of Ireland. The order form shows you the VAT payable on the Products you select.

For example if you try and purchase Quicktime from the Swedish Apple Store you will be charged 21% tax, not 25%
  • Reply 217 of 251
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Have the photocopiers started up in Redmond on the Windows version of the Mac App Store App yet I wonder?

Shh... They're working on shoving Windows onto ARM at the moment.
  • Reply 218 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I'm looking forward to iPhoto as it's the only iLife App I use regularly.

I'm interested to see what the $A price will be.

P.S. Dear Mr Jobs,

when are you going to build a data centre in Australia, to spread the load?

Akamai should be taking care of that already?
  • Reply 219 of 251
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

If any of your friends are Apple-authorized resellers you know that Apple's been pissing them off for years, even long before the Apple stores.

Ha ha so true mate...
  • Reply 220 of 251
    Good thing to bring this mac app store, the next logical step after offering music and videos on the itune-store and actually long overdue. Who wants actually to go out into a store to buy an app on dvd, to unpack it, put the dvd into the mac, install it, put in some registration-number, register it online... much better to download and install it within seconds/minutes and cheaper, too, as it seems.

It's not an innovation, others did it before like Valve's steam or the app-stores for Linux, but it's good to have it now for mac-apps, too. I hope that all mac-developers will jump onto this ship and reduce their prices in the process.

I bet there will be some developers who might not want Apple to make profits of their apps without having developed them just for offering the app-store-platform. In fact I think the margin Apple asks for that service is way too high, it should get down to 5-10%, but however it plays out, this will be a major new source of revenue for Apple... meaning the AAPL-stock-price will further go up.

Like I said the margin for Apple is too high, but developers should be on that app-store, it's like the saying: "Be there or be square"... but the big developers should use their power to make Apple accept a lower margin of 10% or under, that would be a service for all involved.