CES: Analysts grow skeptical of iPad competitors due to iTunes

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

To us, the iPad appears similar to the iPod business where one vendor (that being Apple) is likely to end up dominating the space.

It would be better to compare it to the iPhone business. And we are seeing how quickly Android has been catching up to Apple there.

The iPod (excluding the touch) is largely a one-trick pony. A simple device with not really much variation. So there's not much the competition could do to offer alternatives to Apple's iPod. And remember, Apple offers a full line of iPods for various needs. They only offer one iPad.

But the tablet market is a bit different, I think. There are many form factors (size, aspect ration, etc) and features (ports, accessories, etc) that they can use to offer something different from Apple's singular design, just like they are doing with smart phones now. And just like iPhone apps will run on iPad, won't Android phone apps run on Android tablets? And there is a fast-growing Android market for apps.

So why in h*ll are these idiots comparing the tablet market to the music player market instead of to the smartphone market? Oh yeah, they are analysts.

If Apple really wants to dominate the tablet market, and continue to dominate the smartphone market, I think eventually they will need to offer a full line-up of products, just like they did with the iPod.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    Atlast, one analysts speaks sense.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    You know, of all the things i read about iPad, one thing that sticked to me is this:

What iPod to mp3 is iPad to tablets!
  • Reply 24 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

A third note, by RBC Capital Markets's Mike Abramsky, did make favorable mention of RIM's new PlayBook ?blah blah blah

Less than two years ago, Abramsky saw apple as worth no more than $70 a share; and his company RBC (which is Canadian) is heavily invested in RIM, of course he thinks it's a great product

RBC is the second largest share holder of RIM with a little over 15 million holdings... This Abramsky should be taken with a grain of salt
  • Reply 25 of 54
    Apple revolutionized the mobile phone industry with the iPhone and everyone followed by copying Apple. When rumours of the iPad were floating around, so many in the industry dismissed its usefulness, calling it just a big iPhone (was that really a bad thing?). Now that Apple has had the iPad out for a while, everyone is again jumping on the bandwagon, trying to again copy Apple's iPad.

I mean, seriously. Don't these other companies have any creative minds working for them at all? It's not like the concept of the iPad in inconceivable after the iPhone's release. And yet, everyone is still scrambling and playing catch-up to Apple's iPad (and doing a crap job of it).

I love Apple but it would be great to have at least one other truly innovative tech company out there producing useful tools for consumers. 13 years after Apple's "Think Different" campaign and still, few if any have taken that advice.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by canucklehead View Post

I mean, seriously. Don't these other companies have any creative minds working for them at all?

Sure, they have creative people working for them, but they have ignorant nincompoops managing them.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post

Yeah, although anything can happen, I sort of felt the same way. If someone came up with an overarching store for all that is mobile, a one-stop for anyone's phone/pad regardless the operating system, they'd have a slam-dunk. Right now it's becoming simpler and simpler to just use the Apple ecosystem, and since they have a toe in most of the individual tech I would want, it's just so much more convenient (and fail-safe). And I have no problem going elsewhere or finding things all over, it's just easier to get 90% from one place. Easy is good for me.

The future is web apps and cloud. Either way, the 'apple wins because of thr apps' argument will soon be invalid. Soon devs will go android first when it hits majority marketshare and the android market revamp is complete. 2011 is the year of android. Its getting more and more backing and with big players like nvidia throwing their weight behind it the possibilities are huge
  • Reply 28 of 54
    heyjpheyjp Posts: 39member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

You know, of all the things i read about iPad, one thing that sticked to me is this:

What iPod to mp3 is iPad to tablets!

It's more like "what iPod was to MP3 players, iPad is to tablets". The difference being two fold: a ergonomically sound and desireable design coupled with the ecosystem.

This author is restating what Jobs' originally figured out 9 years ago when they released iTunes, then a few months later, the iPod. It's not just a player, a complete solution.

When you get an iDevice, you know exactly where to go to get music, videos, apps, etc. And all iDevices work together. When you get a Doid, it's not a clean, easy thing to get cracking with.

To compete with the iPad, you don't just need a better device, you need a better system. More pixels, slightly lighter, yada, yada, doesn't do it by itself. You gotta beat Apple's system, not their one product.

Jim
  • Reply 29 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Let?s help DED a little:

?The PlayBook?s 7 inch screen is just 45% as large as the iPad? yet it still has over 78% of the pixels. So like the iPhone 4, it is much clearer and sharper.

And how does that help the interface issue? No one is claiming 7" is bad. But 45% of the area means not-so-amazing apps. Which is the context in which this was quoted. Steve even considered the resolution argument, then dismissed it claiming users would have to use sandpaper to shrink their fingers...
  • Reply 30 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

The future is web apps and cloud. Either way, the 'apple wins because of thr apps' argument will soon be invalid. Soon devs will go android first when it hits majority marketshare and the android market revamp is complete. 2011 is the year of android. Its getting more and more backing and with big players like nvidia throwing their weight behind it the possibilities are huge

Not with Verizon iPhone coming.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    jon tjon t Posts: 131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcsegenmd View Post

A third note, by RBC Capital Markets's Mike Abramsky, did make favorable mention of RIM's new PlayBook ?blah blah blah

Less than two years ago, Abramsky saw apple as worth no more than $70 a share; and his company RBC (which is Canadian) is heavily invested in RIM, of course he thinks it's a great product

Let's not forget too that Abramsky works for Bank of Canada and is reporting on the product of a Canadian company. The guy is, or has to be, biased!

I also recall that his past judgment calls on Apple a while back were little short of appalling.

And all the whiners at the top of the page. Is this turning into an anti-DED campaign? Don't read AI if it all offends your little brains so much.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Given the sort of "journalism" AI is known for, the absence of a byline may be at the author's request.

What are you tools talking about. First, the byline is there when you actually click on the article. Is that one click too hard for you? Secondly, DED is perhaps the most articulate and knowledgable tech writer in the apple space today.
  • Reply 33 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

What absolute nonsense. What have you been smoking? Devs are having a hard enough time already making money in the Android market. And those that are rely on ad revenue which sooner or later, consumers will revolt against. Further, we are a long way off from web/cloud being the only/main implementation for these devices as the necessary wireless infrastructure (speed/bandwidth/reliability/capacity) is nowhere near being ready. Either on a local level or a country by country basis. And that is what is truly required for ubiquity, for mobile devices to rely solely on the web and the cloud.
  • Reply 34 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jacksons View Post

Let?s help DED a little:

?The PlayBook?s 7 inch screen is just 45% as large as the iPad? yet it still has over 78% of the pixels. So like the iPhone 4, it is much clearer and sharper.

That is a nonsensical statement. The sharper iphone screen is compared to similar size smartphone screens. In this case we are talking about RIM's screen that has less than HALF the real estate of an iPad. Two totally different things. Try a course in geometry.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What are you tools talking about. First, the byline is there when you actually click on the article. Is that one click too hard for you? Secondly, DED is perhaps the most articulate and knowledgable tech writer in the apple space today.

This "tool" knows where the byline is. Is asking for byline initials after the headline too hard for A.I?
  • Reply 36 of 54
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Two analysts monitoring the tablet extravaganza at CES have issued reports indicating that euphoria about new tablets outside of Apple's iPad may fall short of expectations because those products lack the iPad's extensive App Store software library and access to the wide range of media in the "digital ecosystem" of iTunes.

iPad may dominate tablets as iPod did MP3 players .

Somewhat agree. iTunes integration of music, apps, books and TV shows is absolutely a huge advantage. We are moving towards more mainstream use of iTunes, which means people will pay money to buy these things. Back in the niche days, users knew how to torrent, hack, patch, crack, find serials etc for the content. Mainstream users really don't know how to do this, and the ease of installation and fair prices will lead to a big advantage for iTunes.

That said nothing is stopping Amazon from joining forces with Google to deliver a similar seamless experience if there is enough demand and money to go around for both.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    since Samsung Tab has sold 1.5 million in a short time. And the Tab has a handful of apps.

Any reasonably intelligent person with a minimum of work can sync any device to iTunes software. I own a Zune HD and an iPod Touch. I use the Zune for music and video. I use the iPod mostly for apps. I have no problem figuring out what media goes where. I buy my music/video/books wherever I want and syncing is not a problem.

Besides, if people use tablets mostly for web surfing, who needs iTunes?
  • Reply 38 of 54
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by easy288 View Post

Besides, if people use tablets mostly for web surfing, who needs iTunes?

I think you are confusing tablets with netbooks, and iPad with PlayBook. iPad users buy it for the apps as much as its browsing abilities.

I can see where you are coming from, in that the surfing the web is the most common task if you look at usage in general, but a lot of people read books, magazines, watch movies, make documents in iWork and use apps in general, along with using the web to get information.
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Bettieblue is nowhere to be found ! Did she and Daniel make-up at long last ?

I met a couple of android geeks at a party last night, the propaganda they spouted about iPhone4 was amazing, as in, lies and ignorance.

They rubbished Apple for the so called antennae issue, yet simply brushed aside my comments about massive fragmentation (soon to be 6 OSs and counting), and that lots of apps are crap, or simply cannot run properly on some of android offerings.

I gave up talking to them about this topic, its like talking to religious nuts about religion, which I consider to be the greatest rubbish ever perpetuated on our planet.

It never ceases to amaze me about critics who talk down Apple products, especially their incredible Macs, actually have never used them.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jon T View Post

Let's not forget too that Abramsky works for Bank of Canada and is reporting on the product of a Canadian company. The guy is, or has to be, biased!

I also recall that his past judgment calls on Apple a while back were little short of appalling.

And all the whiners at the top of the page. Is this turning into an anti-DED campaign? Don't read AI if it all offends your little brains so much.

Couldn't agree more. If you don't like DED, then don't read. What is it with you people, its like an accidental peak of a girls dressing room where you catch a glimpse of your teenage daughter's best friend in the nude, and can't stop looking, jaw agape ?

I think you all love Daniel, and out of envy just cannot accept that his technical prowess is way above yours, simply read and understand, sure he has bias, but hang on look at the name of this website,

is it call Android Fan Club or Steve Balmer Kinky Fetish Club ? NO its not.

Hell, its like you have to hold a loaded gun to their heads before they begin to understand the bleeding obvious, can they really be that thick ?