Apple announces Mac App Store downloads top 1M in first 24 hours

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Another thing... I thought having a separate Mac App Store application would make more sense that trying to shoehorn it into the already overwhelmed iTunes, but I think otherwise now. It's annoying that I now need to open and be concerned about yet another app store. I'd rather all the apps (including iPhone/iPad, etc.) were in a single place with clearly identifiable tab separators to differentiate between the Mac Apps.

iTunes does a lot, but everything it does is to revolves around your media library, most notably for iDevices. I don?t think putting Mac apps in iTunes would be wise though I do understand where you?re coming from with the separate app.

I had thought it would feel more integrated. I thought it was going to integrate with Software Update. I had envisioned something like the standard Software Update with system updates in one section and new app updates in another, with a button to press to flip it around (like with iBooks and iBookstore on iOS) for the Mac App Store.

This is v1.0 and is a bolt on to SL with the smallest system update since the 1980s so maybe Lion will integrate it more. We?ve certainly seen Apple do that in the past.
  • Reply 22 of 51
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Love the "<insert company name no one heard of> has done this for years!" comments. Ubuntu? For real? This world is down to Windows and Mac. They are the gorillas that matter.

I think the store could use some UI refinements myself. Apps could use more info, such as how many computers you can manage via Apple's Remote Desktop app. Also, I'd like to know the new pricing, even though much of the good stuff is already installed on my Mac.

Overall, I think it's a great start and a great idea. A million downloads in 24 hours?

So much for the comments that it's just a fart store. That's one prosperous fart!
  • Reply 23 of 51
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Are VLC and Handbrake even allowed seeing as how they apps are protected and they might have open source code licenses that disallow that? I think that?s the reason why Adium never made an iOS app.

Yes, Adium is not available on iOS because libpurple's GPL license is incompatible with the iOS developer agreement. But, the problem isn't just with Apple's licensing policies. For example, here's an entry from the Pidgin's (another multi-service chat client) FAQ: Why can't I use OpenSSL for SSL support in libpurple?

Quote:

The OpenSSL [BSD-style Open Source] license is not compatible with the libpurple license (GPLv2).

So, even "open source" licenses don't offer total "freedom". Some might argue that the GPL (and derivatives) actually do the opposite.

Not sure if that alone would disqualify it from the Mac App Store, but depending on the developer agreement it might.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Love the "<insert company name no one heard of> has done this for years!" comments. Ubuntu? For real? This world is down to Windows and Mac. They are the gorillas that matter.

What?s ironic is that Ubuntu goes out of its way to make the user experience as Mac-like as possible. Well, as much as can be with Linux.
  • Reply 25 of 51
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,948member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

Love the "<insert company name no one heard of> has done this for years!" comments. Ubuntu? For real? This world is down to Windows and Mac. They are the gorillas that matter. ...

That's true on the desktop workstation, but not so much when talking about servers. Of course, if you are running Linux servers, you're probably downloading tarballs and building your own software in most cases
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:

I had thought it would feel more integrated. I thought it was going to integrate with Software Update. I had envisioned something like the standard Software Update with system updates in one section and new app updates in another, with a button to press to flip it around (like with iBooks and iBookstore on iOS) for the Mac App Store.

This is a great idea... Apple, please take note.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Only Apple?

Ubuntu's had the Ubuntu Software Center for years, and Microsoft announced their plans for an app store in 2009 (I guess MS assigned that to the Longhorn team, given that it hasn't materialized yet <g>).

You're right on about MS .... but let's face it, Ubuntu, as good as it may be, isn't exactly mainstream ... that's the difference.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 29 of 51
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 30 of 51
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

This is v1.0 and is a bolt on to SL with the smallest system update since the 1980s so maybe Lion will integrate it more. We?ve certainly seen Apple do that in the past.

You have to be kidding.

Quote:

Keep your apps 
up to date.

Since developers are constantly improving their apps, the App Store for Mac keeps track of your apps and tells you when an update is available. Update one app at a time or all of them at once, and you?ll always have the latest version of every app you own.

It?s easy to update to the Mac*App*Store.

Just open the Apple menu in the top-left corner of your screen, choose Software Update, and follow the instructions to download the latest Mac OS X update, which includes the Mac App Store.

(Look at the pics.)

It's all on the web site and in the App Store Help. http://www.apple.com/mac/app-store/

N.B. The number of updates is also displayed on the App Store icon in the Dock. Check out 'Help' in the App Store

Couldn't be any simpler or better explained.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

You have to be kidding.

N.B. The number of updates is also displayed on the App Store icon in the Dock. Check out 'Help' in the App Store

Couldn't be any simpler or better explained.

What exactly do you think I?m ?kidding? about?
  • Reply 32 of 51
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ernstcs

Of course those who have a Mac but don't own an iOS device downloaded Angry Birds immediately...

such people exist?? must be just a handful.

I must be one of those rare birds who owns an iOS device and have no desire to download Angry Birds for it or my Mac.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Three of those million downloads was me. I got:

1) Angry Birds

2) TextWrangler

3) Evernote

The app store is a huge, huge improvement. It's such a simple idea I wonder why they didn't do it before? I find searching for apps for Mac (and Windows) to be a major pain. You never know who the developers are and if you might end up with a virus.

Especially with Windows downloading software is a nightmare. Many apps install themselves all over the operating system without asking. They make themselves default apps for files, let themselves start up on boot, force you to register and then start sending spam etc. Some of them are no better than viruses, even the supposedly legitimate one.

I only use download.com to get my Windows programs, but even then it is hit or miss.

The Mac app store should expand massively from the 1,000 they have now. Even I'm getting ideas for writing something. Let's see when they hit 10,000.
  • Reply 34 of 51
    I wish the upgrade to Snow Leopard was free as part of the launch of the app store. My Mac works great as is and I don't want to pay $29 for the privilege of buying apps.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    Quote:

Those of us who've been with the Mac platform for more than a decade recall hearing over and over that Windows was the only gorilla that matters. With 90% of the market compared to Mac's 7%, some think Windows still is.

This observation becomes increasingly true: Mac people talking about Linux in 2011 sound like Windows people talking about Mac in 1997.

Except that the Mac was better, just fighting an OS that monopolized its way into a standard. Linux and all its variants are interesting, powerful and fun for a nerd.

They have their place, as powerful servers and DirecTV boxes.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by balsy2001 View Post

I wish the upgrade to Snow Leopard was free as part of the launch of the app store. My Mac works great as is and I don't want to pay $29 for the privilege of buying apps.

And here, ladies and gentlemen, is one of those people who can't justify a $30 purchase to make their computer run better.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    This could be a boon for small developers and could help bring about a lot of creative apps for the mac. Since developers don't have to worry about hosting or credit card processing, all they have to do is post the app. If it sells it sells, if not you only lost your money on development (is there a submission fee?) Very good move by apple.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

No. Unless the developer wishes it.

Note: The apps are different.

Thanks. It was early morning and had a few too many beers.

Just realised this morning that they are different, and wow did I feel stupid.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:

Those of us who've been with the Mac platform for more than a decade recall hearing over and over that Windows was the only gorilla that matters. With 90% of the market compared to Mac's 7%, some think Windows still is.

This observation becomes increasingly true: Mac people talking about Linux in 2011 sound like Windows people talking about Mac in 1997.

Mac has 12% share in US, not sure what it is worldwide, probably less, is your 7% worldwide or US?
  • Reply 40 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by skauser View Post

Three of those million downloads was me. I got:

1) Angry Birds

2) TextWrangler

3) Evernote

The app store is a huge, huge improvement. It's such a simple idea I wonder why they didn't do it before? I find searching for apps for Mac (and Windows) to be a major pain. You never know who the developers are and if you might end up with a virus.

Especially with Windows downloading software is a nightmare. Many apps install themselves all over the operating system without asking. They make themselves default apps for files, let themselves start up on boot, force you to register and then start sending spam etc. Some of them are no better than viruses, even the supposedly legitimate one.

I only use download.com to get my Windows programs, but even then it is hit or miss.

The Mac app store should expand massively from the 1,000 they have now. Even I'm getting ideas for writing something. Let's see when they hit 10,000.

I couldn't agree more.

Although I don't use M$ products, and generally don't download that much software on my Mac, I can see how the App store would benefit me, and many others, especially those less comfortable with computers and others who don't trust 3rd parties (as you mentioned here).