Apple announces Mac App Store downloads top 1M in first 24 hours

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Friday revealed that its Mac App Store got off to a strong start, serving up more than a million downloads from its first 1,000 free and paid applications in the initial 24 hours of availability.

"We’re amazed at the incredible response the Mac App Store is getting," Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said. "Developers have done a great job bringing apps to the store and users are loving how easy and fun the Mac App Store is."

The Mac App Store launched on Thursday with more than 1,000 free and paid applications available for Mac OS X. The storefront employs the same look and feel as the highly successful App Store for iOS devices, including the iPhone and iPad.

The Mac App Store is part of Mac OS X 10.6.6, the latest update for Apple's Snow Leopard operating system. After installing the update, users can find the App Store on their dock.

Like on the iOS App Store, users of the Mac App Store buy software with a credit card tied to their iTunes account. To buy, download and install is all accomplished in one step. The Mac App Store also keeps track of all your purchased apps and notifies you when free updates are available.

The Mac App Store offers apps in Education, Games, Graphics & Design, Lifestyle, Productivity, Utilities and other categories. Users can browse new and noteworthy apps, find out what’s hot, see staff favorites, search categories and look up top charts for paid and free apps, as well as user ratings and reviews.

Mac developers set the price for their apps, keep 70 percent of the sales revenue, are not charged for free apps and do not have to pay hosting, marketing or credit card fees.

For more, including screens and first impressions of the software download destination, see AppleInsider's first look at the Mac App Store

Comments

• Reply 1 of 51
    Yep, 1st post again ! Helps to be living in Australia while the locals in the US are sleeping.

I have downloaded a couple of apps so far, and will be doing more as time goes by.

Can anyone answer this question. If paid for an app on my iPad/iPhone, is it free on the Mac ?

Appreciate your help.

Go Apple !
  • Reply 2 of 51
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    after steam's success i'm surprised only Apple decided to do this for a computer platform
  • Reply 3 of 51
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Yep, 1st post again ! Helps to be living in Australia while the locals in the US are sleeping.

I have downloaded a couple of apps so far, and will be doing more as time goes by.

Can anyone answer this question. If paid for an app on my iPad/iPhone, is it free on the Mac ?

Appreciate your help.

Go Apple !

No. Unless the developer wishes it.

Note: The apps are different.
  • Reply 4 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

after steam's success i'm surprised only Apple decided to do this for a computer platform

I would argue that Microsoft would have a very difficult time trying to roll a Microsoft Store out. It would be viewed as anti-competitive. Don't get me wrong, I think it would benefit them considerably... but their organization would be scrutinized considerably. Also, Microsoft isn't well suited for radical change from the top down.
  • Reply 5 of 51
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 6 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I find there are numerous visual refinements that need to be made for the Mac App Store to be more user-friendly. The UI should allow for larger, catalog-style shopping of desktop apps. As it is now, everything feels so crammed together it's like I'm reading the back pages of a Popular Science with their microscopic ads.
  • Reply 7 of 51
    Of course those who have a Mac but don't own an iOS device downloaded Angry Birds immediately...
  • Reply 8 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post

I would argue that Microsoft would have a very difficult time trying to roll a Microsoft Store out. It would be viewed as anti-competitive. Don't get me wrong, I think it would benefit them considerably... but their organization would be scrutinized considerably. Also, Microsoft isn't well suited for radical change from the top down.

I think you make a good point. I could see Amazon or someone make an app portal that runs on Windows and allows devs to lose a certain level or overhead costs while allowing users to shop and buy a variety of apps using their Amazon account and knowing they?ll be able to easy get these apps again when they buy a new Windows computer.
  • Reply 9 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ernstcs View Post

Of course those who have a Mac but don't own an iOS device downloaded Angry Birds immediately...

such people exist?? must be just a handful.
  • Reply 10 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I find there are numerous visual refinements that need to be made for the Mac App Store to be more user-friendly. The UI should allow for larger, catalog-style shopping of desktop apps. As it is now, everything feels so crammed together it's like I'm reading the back pages of a Popular Science with their microscopic ads.

And what?s with the close/min/max buttons? Overall, something feels like it?s missing from the App Store design.
  • Reply 11 of 51
    best buy has something like an app store on all BB sold computers, and it's not very intrusive. but i wouldn't buy any digital software unless it was apple or steam
  • Reply 12 of 51
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

As someone else mentioned, Ubuntu (and its derivatives) have been doing this for years. Also don't forget that Intel has its app store for netbooks and Google has an app store for its Chrome browser and OS.
  • Reply 13 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Appreciate your help.

Go Apple !

You can't run an iOS app on Mac OS X so it's two different products (the apps).
  • Reply 14 of 51
    hal 9000hal 9000 Posts: 101member
    I was disappointed to find out that VLC, Handbrake, Onyx and other famous and useful apps were not on the Mac App Store at lauch. Apparently the focus is really on the paid apps, which is a change from the iOS App Store. Just hope they get back to being more neutral on this.

Well it seems that MacUpdate.com will be around for quite a while!
  • Reply 15 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

As someone else mentioned, Ubuntu (and its derivatives) have been doing this for years. Also don't forget that Intel has its app store for netbooks and Google has an app store for its Chrome browser and OS.

and how many people care about Ubuntu compared to OS X and Windows?
  • Reply 16 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And what?s with the close/min/max buttons? Overall, something feels like it?s missing from the App Store design.

You guys could always give feedback to Apple directly if you'd like to see improvements. I think it's a pretty impressive 1.0 release, delivered in less than 60 days from the announcement. The interface is quite snappy, perhaps they need to do the iTunes Store next to run as a separate App outside of the player.
  • Reply 17 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post

I was disappointed to find out that VLC, Handbrake, Onyx and other famous and useful apps were not on the Mac App Store at lauch. Apparently the focus is really on the paid apps, which is a change from the iOS App Store. Just hope they get back to being more neutral on this.

That's on the developers, not apple. They can only offer what developers submit.
  • Reply 18 of 51
    Quote:

1) Have those apps even tried to make it onto the Mac App Store?

2) Are VLC and Handbrake even allowed seeing as how they apps are protected and they might have open source code licenses that disallow that? I think that?s the reason why Adium never made an iOS app.

3) With Onyx accessing and altering core system files is it allowed under the Mac App Store rules?
  • Reply 19 of 51
    Quote:

Some of those apps probably don't meet the requirements to be in the app store in the first place. I'm not familiar with every little detail but I would bet Handbrake isn't allowed in there for sure.
  • Reply 20 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulsydaus View Post

You guys could always give feedback to Apple directly if you'd like to see improvements. I think it's a pretty impressive 1.0 release, delivered in less than 60 days from the announcement. The interface is quite snappy, perhaps they need to do the iTunes Store next to run as a separate App outside of the player.

I'm pretty sure Apple reads these boards. After all, where else to find the best opinions about your products but from your harshest critics and biggest fanboys?

Another thing... I thought having a separate Mac App Store application would make more sense that trying to shoehorn it into the already overwhelmed iTunes, but I think otherwise now. It's annoying that I now need to open and be concerned about yet another app store. I'd rather all the apps (including iPhone/iPad, etc.) were in a single place with clearly identifiable tab separators to differentiate between the Mac Apps.