iPhone 3G without data plan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Ok,

So my mother has an iPhone 3G that she probably giving to me soon, but she doesn't want to pay for data for my second line. Our plan is the 550 shared minutes plan with unlimited texting and her line (line 1) has the 250mb data plan. My line (line 2) is the 9.99 addon plus the texting. My data plan is blocked (no pay per use, completely blocked). I am currently using a Blackberry Curve 8310 without data. (instead of saying Edge, it says GSM). Is there any way that the iPhone will work without data? Do I need to jailbreak it? (I probably will anyway).

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    If you're on AT&T, you must have data. There is no way around this. They will see you on the network and add the data plan.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you're on AT&T, you must have data. There is no way around this. They will see you on the network and add the data plan.

But I currently have my fathers old AT&T blackberry (he switched to Verizon) and have been using it for months without a data plan. So obviously either the people at AT&T are slacking, or I'm an exception for some reason.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by conwellt View Post

But I currently have my fathers old AT&T blackberry (he switched to Verizon) and have been using it for months without a data plan. So obviously either the people at AT&T are slacking, or I'm an exception for some reason.

No, you're fine now. You can't have an iPhone without a data plan. If you were getting an iPhone 2G, you'd be fine. If you get a 3G, 3GS, or 4, you are forced to have a data plan.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

No, you're fine now. You can't have an iPhone without a data plan. If you were getting an iPhone 2G, you'd be fine. If you get a 3G, 3GS, or 4, you are forced to have a data plan.

and there is no jailbreak app to block all data (except wifi) from the iPhone?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by conwellt View Post

and there is no jailbreak app to block all data (except wifi) from the iPhone?

No, of course not. A jailbreak can't stop AT&T from knowing you have an iPhone.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:

No, of course not. A jailbreak can't stop AT&T from knowing you have an iPhone.

well you do need to jailbreak only because u need it jail broken and then get it unlocked. when u unlock it u can use it on any sim and u can go in network settings and click a simple button that turns off all data and keeps wifi and they shouldn't be able to tell that you have a iphone 3g my friend does this and he doesn't have problems with them trying to get him to use data or auto sign him up for data
  • Reply 7 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pkfirearrow View Post

...get it unlocked.

Doesn't matter, given that he's using AT&T.

Quote:

...when u unlock it u can use it on any sim and u can go in network settings and click a simple button that turns off all data...

Do you have a link to the thing I can install to show me this button?

Quote:

...they shouldn't be able to tell that you have a iPhone 3g...

Except they can. Because the serial number and IMEI show up as an iPhone. And there is nothing legal you can do about it.

Quote:

my friend does this and he doesn't have problems with them trying to get him to use data or auto sign him up for data

My friend also has pictures of the next Mac Pro and Mac Mini in an elevator.