Non-exclusive Apple-Verizon deal could allow iPhone on Sprint, T-Mobile

Comments

• Reply 21 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think Sprint could offer that. I think they?d know the demand for the device and network use and charge more. I would.

I agree, solipsism...I meant it may be a "race to the bottom" as the carriers cut their margins to get market share...the old Walmart business model that so many CEO's use to hold up their own stock options based solely on Market Share numbers....which we all know now is a very short-term strategy.

Apple doesn't do this they have the long view.
  • Reply 22 of 92
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I would like the iPhone to be sold on Metro PCS just so there will be commercials with Ranjit and Chad.
  • Reply 23 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

With free hot spot service I'm in

It may be wishful thinking on my part, D...but American car companies for example did it for decades....

Something to the effect, "We're losing money on every car we make!" CEO, "That's OK we will make it up on volume!" Meanwhile, they were wearing out their factories and had no money for development of new products. That's why in the seventy's the "new" Pinto had a plastic useless vent on the hood, etc.

I'm not impressed with the cell phone CEO's, they have no vision and will succumb to chasing Market Share to keep their own jobs. A very short term approach. Case in point Verizon could have had the iPhones four years ago!

Best
  • Reply 24 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You say that like it's a bad thing.

• Reply 25 of 92
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If by sucks you mean offers a better variety in plans generally at cheaper prices with equal to better call quality in many areas all while offering better customer service then I suppose then yes maybe it does suck. I have used AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile is the best overall. The only reason it isn't bigger is because many employers are tied into Verizon or AT&T thereby giving people some incentive to go with the other two.

My iPhone has been a happy T-Mobile customer for years. Unlike with Verizon, I can use data and voice at the same time. Although, currently I dropped my data plan altogether as I generally am always by wi-fi. In the Ann Arbor area my iPhone gets better call quality and fewer dropped calls then my friends who have iPhones on AT&T. I actually bought my current phone from a friend, and he is irritated that his old phone now works better for me on T-Mobile then it did for him on AT&T.

As far as Verizon goes, I generally try to stay away from companies that like to steal from their customers by making up fees knowing only a very small portion of its customers will call it on the made up fees.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

T-Mobile sucks.

• Reply 26 of 92
    I?m certainly hoping Sprint gets the CDMA iPhone. It just makes sense? why bother making a CDMA version if you?re going to keep limiting it to just one carrier? Plus, since it is indeed 1900MHz ready (per FCC specs), it?s certainly ready for Sprint?s network.

I?ve been with Sprint for 10 years, and I like Sprint, so there?s no sense in switching now. But if Jobs truily wants to prove iOS is better than Android, he needs to let it have a fighting chance on all compatible networks. It just makes sense.

I should add that I *DO* have an HTC EVO 4G, but would happily give it up for the iPhone... even with 3G and no voice+data support (which I never use anyway).

I had an iPod Touch for a year and a half, but I sold it to buy the EVO (yes, money was tight), and I can accurately say how disappointed I am with Android comparatively. It's okay for productivity and has great Google integration, and I do like that about it. However, Apps on Android are pretty abysmal when coming over from iOS.

The Apps in the Android Market are generally always the same. There's never anything new that's all that notable. Plus, the pricing is locked, whereas on iOS developers can drop their apps on sale or make them free for a brief time, and thus my collection of iOS apps was always continually fresh and growing. So things on the iOS App Store are always changing an moving around. Content is never stale like it tends to be on Android. Plus, the overall quality of apps on iOS tend to be much better.

I speculate here, but I'd venture to say that only about half the apps for iPhone are crap, meaning the other half are fairly good quality, compared that to what I feel is about 70-80% crap/poor quality, on Android. By quality, I'm referring to general UI design, usability and overall effectiveness of an app. I do give Android kudos for the multiple hardware buttons though, which do save on precious screen real estate, but if an app isn't any good, screen real estate is entirely pointless.

Another thing: App storage on most Android phones is limited to 500MB or less, which is pathetic, and app storage on SD cards is terrible. I often find apps running slower on my typical class 2 card. Yes, I could upgrade it, but there's no such need with the flash storage that the iPhone has built into it. Plus, you have the option of 32GB of storage built right in, and eventually 64GB. That suits people like myself who like to store plenty of audio/visual entertainment on their device. I'm always running out of space on my EVO with the 8GB card it came with. Again, I could upgrade, but for the price I paid for the EVO, I could have a 16GB iPhone (based on Verizon's announced pricing). The choice is a no-brainer.

So yes, Sprint needs the iPhone. Sure, there are people who like Android and will refuse to get an iPhone, even if Sprint gets it. But I can only presume they've never experienced the goodness that iOS does indeed offer. Who cares if it doesn't have 4G. I don't even have 4G coverage here anyway, but 3G is still plenty fast for what I do on my EVO.

So Sprint, bring it on. We're ready for it! Keeping my fingers crossed...
  • Reply 27 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

But seriously it's not as you indicate ... They all run iOS and only one company can mess with that (JBs aside) unlike a certain other OS

Its not the OS.

The fact is that the baseband is completely abstracted away. The network chip has enough wrappers, that no one, outside the people creating the wrappers, cares about which network its actually running on.
  • Reply 28 of 92
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I'd say Verizon was smart. It wouldn't get an exclusive for any more then six months anyway. Any exclusive wouldn't include AT&T. Apple isn't likely to bring in more providers until a new phone is released anyway. That probably won't happen until summer. It likely has an exclusive without paying for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CIM View Post

This shows just how desperate Verizon is for the iPhone. They have zero leverage. Zero.

• Reply 29 of 92
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amador_o View Post

Sprint owns Virgin Mobile, and nothing would make me happier than being able to use an iPhone again. I'm dealing with an Android phone because $27 a month on Virgin Mobile is too good to pass up.

You aren't going to see an iPhone plan for that price EVER.
  • Reply 30 of 92
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    if apple doesn't have a tmoble cdma phone

then cdma is defacto exclusive to VZ till they do
  • Reply 31 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

If by sucks you mean offers a better variety in plans generally at cheaper prices with equal to better call quality in many areas all while offering better customer service then I suppose then yes maybe it does suck. I have used AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. T-Mobile is the best overall. The only reason it isn't bigger is because many employers are tied into Verizon or AT&T thereby giving people some incentive to go with the other two.

My iPhone has been a happy T-Mobile customer for years. Unlike with Verizon, I can use data and voice at the same time. Although, currently I dropped my data plan altogether as I generally am always by wi-fi. In the Ann Arbor area my iPhone gets better call quality and fewer dropped calls then my friends who have iPhones on AT&T. I actually bought my current phone from a friend, and he is irritated that his old phone now works better for me on T-Mobile then it did for him on AT&T.

As far as Verizon goes, I generally try to stay away from companies that like to steal from their customers by making up fees knowing only a very small portion of its customers will call it on the made up fees.

Well said.
  • Reply 32 of 92
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I'd say Verizon was smart. It wouldn't get an exclusive for any more then six months anyway. Any exclusive wouldn't include AT&T. Apple isn't likely to bring in more providers until a new phone is released anyway. That probably won't happen until summer. It likely has an exclusive without paying for it.

That?s quite possible. With the GSM iPhone sales still exhausting Apple?s production capabilities even month after it debuted, and with Verizon being as big as they are in terms of potential iPhone customers both a mid-cycle and Verizon-only CDMA iPhone are likely to make sense for awhile.

On top of that, this is the first production model of a CDMA iPhone Apple has ever produced. While I doubt it could have the growing pains of the original iPhone on any level it?s still possible to have a few hiccups. One of those hiccups may even be Verizon?s transaction servers taking all thee pre-orders and then activations. Hopefully they?ve learned from AT&T.
  • Reply 33 of 92
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Hopefully the Verizon iPhone will relieve some stress to AT&T network.
  • Reply 34 of 92
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

So if the iPhone isn't going to be available until Feb. 10 why is there a restriction on vacations at Apple stores in late January? Could it be that Apple has another big announcement this month that will begin shipping before the Verizon iPhone?

The original rumor on that said late January - early February, then, a subsequent rumor narrowed it to early February, noting February 3 as the release date, which now looks like February 10.

Apple may well have another announcement before then, but probably not an actual product release.
  • Reply 35 of 92
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

The original rumor on that said late January - early February, then, a subsequent rumor narrowed it to early February, noting February 3 as the release date, which now looks like February 10.

Apple may well have another announcement before then, but probably not an actual product release.

I can't take any more excitement for a while
  • Reply 36 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Hopefully the Verizon iPhone will relieve some stress to AT&T network.

I'm suspecting not too many will jump ship on seeing this. We will hopefully see a massive move to iPhone with Verizon though.
  • Reply 37 of 92
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Just kidding. Some of you probably don't even remember Cellular One. :-)

Seriously though, if Apple does deals with the other GSM and/or CDMA carriers in the US, they will probably stagger the announcements. Apple likes to spread their press events and newsworthy items as far apart as possible, to give each announcement as much time in the spotlight as possible. (Especially if it makes Apple's splash page.)

Android can run but it can't hide. Apple is officially invading Androidistan.
  • Reply 38 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I would like the iPhone to be sold on Metro PCS just so there will be commercials with Ranjit and Chad.

Talking about commercials; It's about time we had "Hello I'm an iPhone", "hello I'm an Android" ads.
  • Reply 39 of 92
    samhsamh Posts: 1member
    You know after owning an iPhone 3GS for 1 year I dumped it and went to a Droid DX for play and a Droid 2 Global for work with Good for email. The iPhone is a cool phone but a cool brick due to a lousy network is no fun. Could not be happier with both of my Droids. The irony here is Verizon now has both and will the influx of new users and defectors from ATT ruin a good thing. We shall see. BTW both Droids are on 1 year contracts. Leverage is a beautiful thing.
  • Reply 40 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SamH View Post

You know after owning an iPhone 3GS for 1 year I dumped it and went to a Droid DX for play and a Droid 2 Global for work with Good for email. The iPhone is a cool phone but a cool brick due to a lousy network is no fun. Could not be happier with both of my Droids. The irony here is Verizon now has both and will the influx of new users and defectors from ATT ruin a good thing. We shall see. BTW both Droids are on 1 year contracts. Leverage is a beautiful thing.

Aren't there any Droid blogs you can go to?