Apple inks new iPhone deal with AT&T, all exclusive contracts now over

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Apple signed a 5 year exclusive contract with AT&T, beginning in 2007. Apple can't possibly get out of that contract until 2012. People expecting a Verizon iPhone before then don't know what they are talking about.
  • Reply 22 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Natmac View Post

I hear you, but Softbank is reported as the exclusive provider in Japan...

Old information. I quoted the new facts above.

Are you suggesting that Tim Cook lied during the earnings call?
  • Reply 23 of 70
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

If you believe in the wrong information, does that make you a liar?
  • Reply 24 of 70
    Quote:

Are you suggesting that he is incapable of making a mistake? Show me some information (other than what Mr. Cook said) that says otherwise and I'll beleive... All I know is that Softbank is reported as the "exclusive" provider in Japan, and I have not read anything to suggest otherwise.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    Quote:

Are you suggesting that he is incapable of making a mistake? Show me some information (other than what Mr. Cook said) that says otherwise and I'll beleive... All I know is that Softbank is reported as the "exclusive" provider in Japan, and I have not read anything to suggest otherwise.

I think Apple's COO is probably a more authoritative source of information on Apple's contracts that you and whoever your source is. It is highly unlikely that he would make such a gaffe during an earnings call without Apple issuing a correction for the news media.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    > A reader reports that the state owned BSNL recently released a carrier

> settings update for his iPad, suggesting Apple may be bringing its tablet

> and newer iPhones to the country's largest carrier soon.

probably meant VSNL (now Tata).

I wonder what kind of typo/mishearing PCCW will bring us.
  • Reply 27 of 70
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

So are they going to unlock AT&T existing iPhones upon the users request?!

Actually my 3G is getting old thus I would be happy to get a new iPhone unlocked. It is a big deal for people that travel.
  • Reply 28 of 70
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post

Except he's not getting paid just $1.

Yes he is.

Quote:

His earnings come though a bonus rather than salary, which I understand is taxed lower.

Since Steve has not collected a bonus since 2001 (Lear jet)), tax rate is irrelevant.
  • Reply 29 of 70
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually my 3G is getting old thus I would be happy to get a new iPhone unlocked. It is a big deal for people that travel.

AT&T offered me iPhone 4 upgrade on the main line on my family plan last July. So I bought two iPhone 4s from Canada unlocked and sold the older iPhones for $360 each on ebay in August.
  • Reply 30 of 70
    Seriously people, let's not over think the meaning of exclusivity!

Yes, from the viewpoint of a consumer, Softbank is exclusively selling the iPhone.

However, from what Cook said, if all exclusivity is over, then they may be in discussions with Docomo and/or AU. "No more exclusivity" doesn't mean all carriers are going to come to a contractual agreement with Apple. Apple still has demands that some carriers don't like. So yep you can only officially buy an iPhone and get a plan at Softbank at the moment, but the possibilities are open. I'm really tired of Softbanks network slowdowns.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prosp View Post

Maybe there is an obvious answer, but why would AT&T need to sign a new non-exclusive deal with Apple? I don't see the advantage to AT&T.

TIA

Because the original deal between Apple and AT&T expired. Without a new deal, AT&T would not be able to get a supply of iPhones to sell to customers to get phone plan revenue.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by urbansprawl View Post

Seriously people, let's not over think the meaning of exclusivity!

I'm really tired of Softbanks network slowdowns.

Amen, brother. Not to mention terrible coverage area...
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Quote:

KDDI’s AU will soon be the second japanese company carrying the iPhone4 - according to the source here.

http://en.akihabaranews.com/80854/le...oming-to-japan

and here:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/...d-south-korea/

and here:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...eyond.verizon/

So no, Softbank may be the company currently offering the iPhone but they do NOT have an exclusive agreement with Apple for the iPhone. Tim Cook correct, Natmac, not so much.

[EDIT}: There is a very specific business meaning to exclusivity that you may be willfully ignoring or of which you may be ignorant. Since Tim Cook (like Peter Oppenheimer and Steve Jobs) is very specific about what he says in these meetings, this has ramifications for making that statement - which had it not been true would most likely been called out by one of the media reporters during the Q&A session. As they did not and given the specifics of exclusivity, it doesn't matter that a consumer "thinks" something is "exclusive", if in fact it simply is not.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    The FCC showed last May the iPhone 4 is pentaband and contains the UMTS band for Japan’s largest carrier, NTT docomo. Obviously a deal hasn’t been struck with them, but why?
  • Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LewysBlackmore View Post

KDDI?s AU will soon be the second japanese company carrying the iPhone4 - according to the source here.

http://en.akihabaranews.com/80854/le...oming-to-japan

and here:

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/01/...d-south-korea/

and here:

http://www.electronista.com/articles...eyond.verizon/

So no, Softbank may be the company currently offering the iPhone but they do NOT have an exclusive agreement with Apple for the iPhone. Tim Cook correct, Natmac, not so much.

Ok, all those sources really just say is that the CDMA phone is coming to Japan. The coming to AU stuff is speculation.

However, I have found information that does indeed state that the contract with Softbank is NOT EXCLUSIVE. However, Apple and softbank have a "close tie" and Apple has aggreed to SIM lock the iPhone in Japan so that it can only be used by Softbank. So although the contract between Apple and Softbank is technically not "Exclusive", Softbank is still the "Exclusive " provider because Apple does not allow the iPhone to be used by other providers. This of course can be change by Apple.

So, Mr. Cook was correct in saying there are no exclusivity contracts. However, Softbank is still actually the "Exclusive" provider in Japan, as I stated.
  • Reply 36 of 70
    Quote:

Ok, all those sources really just say is that the CDMA phone is coming to Japan. The coming to AU stuff is speculation.

However, I have found information that does indeed state that the contract with Softbank is NOT EXCLUSIVE. However, Apple and softbank have a "close tie" and Apple has aggreed to SIM lock the iPhone in Japan so that it can only be used by Softbank. So although the contract between Apple and Softbank is technically not "Exclusive", Softbank is still the "Exclusive " provider because Apple does not allow the iPhone to be used by other providers. This of course can be change by Apple.

So, Mr. Cook was correct in saying there are no exclusivity contracts. However, Softbank is still actually the "Exclusive" provider in Japan, as I stated.

This is similar to the arrangement in the US and other countries. Locked does not mean exclusive though.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:

This is similar to the arrangement in the US and other countries. Locked does not mean exclusive though.

The contract with AT&T in the US was carrier exclusive. The contract with Softbank is not.

And what do you call it if no other carrier is allowed to offer the iPhone except Softbank?

Most other reports use the word "Exclusive" for this arrangement with Softbank.

(e.g.: http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/onebeats-...tm?id=63020412)

Enlighten us. What expression should we be using?
  • Reply 38 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:

I guess Japan in not a "country in the world" because the iPhone is still exclusive to Softbank here.... He's the COO right? Shouldn't he know that!

Exclusive to one company doesn't now mean that Apple isn't negotiating with the others. They may also have to wait for the contract to end.
  • Reply 39 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChickenHawk View Post

Except he's not getting paid just $1. His earnings come though a bonus rather than salary, which I understand is taxed lower.

I don't know what you understand, because he's been getting $1 dollar a year since 2003. That includes bonus's, options and stock. He does get two things though. He gets reimbursed for the jet when used for corporate business, and a medical care plan.

And so you should know, no executive of Apple gets golden parachutes or termination pay.
  • Reply 40 of 70
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Yes he is.

Since Steve has not collected a bonus since 2001 (Lear jet)), tax rate is irrelevant.

Gulfstream.