Verizon will offer only $30 unlimited data plan for iPhone 4 users

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

After watching the news earlier this week will make people think twice about jumping on wifi, people are stealing info by setting up dummy wifi's

Also, my point was that just because someone uses less than 200mb of cell data does not mean they under utilize their phones
  • Reply 42 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kexicao View Post

Of course it's a negative thing. It took choices away from you. Especially for people like me who has wifi access both at home and at work. Only time I need the data access is on the road. The existing $15/150mb plan suits me and my other family members perfectly. Now I don't think we are going to upgrade our droid phones to iphones any more.

Everyone has different needs, but to say that it's negative to get unlimited data for $30 a month is flat out wrong. When $15 gets you a measly 150mb, I don't want to hear your complaining about unlimited data for twice that. Don't buy it, if the device is not worth the overall cost to you.

When iPhone 5 comes out on Verizon, you'll have other data options. All worse than $30/unlimited, but options nonetheless.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    jcozjcoz Posts: 251member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Everyone has different needs, but to say that it's negative to get unlimited data for $30 a month is flat out wrong. When $15 gets you a measly 150mb, I don't want to hear your complaining about unlimited data for twice that. Don't buy it, if the device is not worth the overall cost to you.

When iPhone 5 comes out on Verizon, you'll have other data options. All worse than $30/unlimited, but options nonetheless.

You seem to have missed the point of his post.

He's saying its a negative to be shoe-horned into paying 2x as much for data just for the pleasure of owning an iphone on verizon when you can get an android phone with tiered options.

And he is correct, that most certainly is a negative. It's inarguable really.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    I feel sorry for you Americans sometimes. You are seriously being ripped off with your phone plans. For £10 a month (approx $16.00) you can get 250 minutes, Unlimited texts and Unlimited data with no cap on it in the UK.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steelraven View Post

Why would I want to cap my data on a smartphone? I like to listen to Pandora while i'm at work all day and use facebook, surf the web, send emails. I use from 6 to 9 gig a month. Last time I cap my data on my Blackberry I had a $300 phone bill. I don't have time to see how much data I'm using a month. What's the purpose of having a smartphone if you're only using 200mb a month,smartphones are like pocket computers now, you're defeating the purpose of having one really if you cap your data. I can burn that up 200mb in a couple of days.

Agreed 100%. I'm in the same boat. I stream constantly using Pandora and Slingbox. Data caps are simply a waste of money for me. Besides, I also use my laptop as a hot spot when I'm not traveling. So my unlimited, dowhateveryouwant Sprint plan is totally worth every penny to me. It looks as if it's going to turn out that it would end up costing nearly double what I pay now to get similar service on AT&T or Verizon.
  • Reply 46 of 55
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hubel View Post

I feel sorry for you Americans sometimes. You are seriously being ripped off with your phone plans. For £10 a month (approx $16.00) you can get 250 minutes, Unlimited texts and Unlimited data with no cap on it in the UK.

Maybe that has something to do with the relatively flat terrain and higher population density in the U.K., which is more than 7X the density of the U.S.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Giffen View Post

Why are they trying to spin this as a negative? I have the unlimited $30/mo on my iPhone 4 from ATT and wouldn't want anything different.

Maybe you should consider that not everyone has the same desires as you? I don't need unlimited because I average 100MB a month, a figure I found with the carrier's web . Why should I pay $10-$15 a month more for extra capacity I'm not going to use?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Most people would be better off if they offered it WITHOUT a voice plan. Give my an iPhone with $30 unlimited data and I can use data for all my voice and texting needs. That would be full functionality for 1/3rd the price.

I suspect they want it to subsidize the cost of providing data. In terms of bandwidth, a voice call takes very little bandwidth, something like 32kbps, give or take, I forget the exact figure. QoS is a different matter.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I suspect they want it to subsidize the cost of providing data. In terms of bandwidth, a voice call takes very little bandwidth, something like 32kbps, give or take, I forget the exact figure. QoS is a different matter.

The carriers certainly want the extra money, that is the point. I am just amused by people complaining about the $30 a month in data that they dont utilize enough of when the real ripoff is what they are charging you for voice and text. Add in the fact that you can send and receive voice calls, text messages, and video calls for free on your unlimited data with a couple of apps, why should you pay another $60 a month for those services? The real answer is if you did not have to pay for voice, they would charge $60-90 or more for the data plans.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

Virgin Mobile in the U.S. is $40/month with a recently introduced 5GB cap. I dumped it and went back to my Sprint $60/month unlimited plan. Besides, Virgin's USB dongle is crap, with an antenna jack that doesn't even work properly, and lame-o software. I'm not happy about buying this shit gizmo for $75 only to have Virgin change its terms after the fact.

$40 / month is unlimited data + 1200 minutes talk time. They also have $25 / month for unlimited data + 300 minutes talk. I don't know if they have a cap or slowdown on the data for these plans; I'm waiting to hear back from someone. They WILL be upgrading their Android phone(s) from 2.1 to 2.2 / FroYo in the spring, so tethering might be possible.

I'm on their pre-paid plan right now, and have never had a reception problem.
  • Reply 50 of 55
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kexicao View Post

Of course it's a negative thing. It took choices away from you. Especially for people like me who has wifi access both at home and at work. Only time I need the data access is on the road. The existing $15/150mb plan suits me and my other family members perfectly. Now I don't think we are going to upgrade our droid phones to iphones any more.

If you already have it you should be able to keep it.
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

If you already have it you should be able to keep it.

Keeping the plans we're on would be nice, as I'm grandfathered into a plan that offers 900 minutes, unlimited texting, unlimited data and 5 "friends and family" for less than it goes for now...which I am scheduled to lose as soon as I upgrade to an iPhone.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Most people would be better off if they offered it WITHOUT a voice plan. Give my an iPhone with $30 unlimited data and I can use data for all my voice and texting needs. That would be full functionality for 1/3rd the price.

+1

That would be awesome, but it'll never happen.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    zarenzaren Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hubel View Post

Yeah, but we can buy knives without a permit

I keed, I keed! I agree that phone plans suck here (see my previous posts on that topic).
  • Reply 54 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I moved an off topic branch to Political Outsider.
  • Reply 55 of 55
    man verizon is being super nice cuz they want to sell a lot of these iphones, i thought they'd be doing away with the unlimited. i also may be able to afford one thanks to the incentives they're offering.