Sony to take on Apple with next-gen PlayStation Portable, Android game store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 137
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OC4Theo View Post

This won't even be available for purchase until the 2011 holiday season. That's 10 months away. Who is to say that other competitors can't develop a better console by then?

Quad-core is not only available to Sony to utilize. You don't show your enemy your fight weapons ahead of time, because he will know what to fight you with. But when you do that, it shows you are scared.

Sony is definitely scared. And desperate!

Uh, it takes more than a few months to brew together an entire console and actually get some support behind it. No one is going to drop another handheld, not even MS.

This is a move to steer would be buyers away from the 3DS which is set to launch on March iirc.
  • Reply 22 of 137
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Patranus View Post

I would like to see what the distribution of games sold in apps stores is in terms of "real" games Vs. "time wasters".

95% shareware type/casual. There are some pretty decent quality games though if you know where to look. EAs game are top notch, Square has some good ones (some of which are iOS exclusive), and Gameloft while generally copying the ideas of other game makers can make some really good copies.

As for the playstation suite it does do something potentially do something that Google themselves so far has been able to do, gives the manufacturers incentive to get up to date on their OS patches. If they want in, they are going to have to update to gingerbread. This includes themselves because their joint venture with Ericsson hasn't been too diligent with updates.
  • Reply 23 of 137
    Sony came thru from what I see but the price of the unit and then the price of the games will be prohibitive to a certain set in the iphone and touch crowd.

Moreover,the cost of developing games for the specs on the psp2 are going to be challenging at best. And the core thing needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I read an article where the writer wrote that the Zune HD touted the core thing but he latter went on to say that unless the kernels are used properly the cores don;t mean squat.

A game dev will have to not only take into consideration the high res screen but also the battery life when making a game. Yeah, they'll be ports but the stuff made from the ground up will be a different beast. And expensive.

Good luck Sony. I'm getting one as well as the iphone 5 and the ipad 2.
  • Reply 24 of 137
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Sony came thru from what I see but the price of the unit and then the price of the games will be prohibitive to a certain set in the iphone and touch crowd.

Moreover,the cost of developing games for the specs on the psp2 are going to be challenging at best. And the core thing needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

I read an article where the writer wrote that the Zune HD touted the core thing but he latter went on to say that unless the kernels are used properly the cores don;t mean squat.

A game dev will have to not only take into consideration the high res screen but also the battery life when making a game. Yeah, they'll be ports but the stuff made from the ground up will be a different beast. And expensive.

Good luck Sony. I'm getting one as well as the iphone 5 and the ipad 2.

If the content is there and its good, people will buy it. Regarding development, i think from what was being described, many things can be ported over from the PS3 to NGP with relative ease, you'd just be taking a hit in the graphics department.

Regarding battery life, if they can get the same 3-6 hours for gaming playback id be pretty satisfied.
  • Reply 25 of 137
    Sounds like it'll have the edge over Apple's next hardware in terms of raw CPU and graphics - the iPhone and iPad will probably go dual core ARM with the next release. But that's OK, because it's a pure gaming device - with a quad core CPU I'd be surprised if you'll get more than an hours gaming on battery.

When I had my PSP I always had to use it plugged in as the battery life was appalling.

Sony (the games publisher) should embrace iOS though, as companies like EA are making a mint at the moment, but Sony (the games hardware manufacturer) won't let them do that.

The Android game framework sounds interesting, but they still have to overcome the big problem of getting Android owners to actually pay for downloads, because at the moment it aint happening.
  • Reply 26 of 137
    doxxicdoxxic Posts: 100member
    Sounds like a fantastic machine, but with al the high end hardware and moving parts it must be a lot more pricey to build than Apple's hardware.

Sounds like an X-Box business strategy, but with a foreign OS.

Anyway, they'll certainly impress the kids.
  • Reply 27 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

OK. Dual core this, Quad core that... etc... etc...

...and if it's not DOA, the 2011 iPod Touch and iPad-2 will have it for breakfast.

It's all in the software/UI + the ecosystem.

It's announced so early that by the time of release, the specs will be old news.

Time will tell.

The dual core ipod Touch and iPad? Or the secret quad core ones? Is that the Touch with the secret physical buttons and the hidden 5" screen?

This isn't for playing Angry Birds or Cut the Rope on. Althoigh it's just as capable as the Touch for doing so.

You mean the massive Sony Playstation 1,2 & 3 ecosystem? Or the Android one? Or the Playstation store already in millions of homes via the PS3?

Physical buttons are a win for nearly everyone who plays more complex games. You can only pinch, tilt and shake so much.
  • Reply 28 of 137
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    I would buy this! Some games are just nicer to play on with the D-pad, analog sticks and solid buttons.

I wonder if they can port a fully fledged version of Call Of Duty onto this running at 60fps.
  • Reply 29 of 137
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    DOA.

Batery Life, or lack thereof.

Sony needs to wake up to new market realities.

Meanwhile, I'm playing Dead Space on the same device from which I posted this.

Cheers.
  • Reply 30 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

DOA.

Batery Life, or lack thereof.

Sony needs to wake up to new market realities.

Meanwhile, I'm playing Dead Space on the same device from which I posted this.

Cheers.

And I'm sure the physical controls are a joy to use. Wait.....
  • Reply 31 of 137
    Ooh, I'm shaking!

The Sony brand is now about as cool and relevant as Brylcreem.
  • Reply 32 of 137
    n42n42 Posts: 34member
    I am very excited for this but it in no way affects how/when/if I will use/buy/upgrade my iPhone.

I don't understand all the negative stigma here. This is not out to replace the iPhone, it's simply trying to regain share of the gaming market. Which I think is entirely reasonable: as a long time gamer, I hate using the iPhone as a gaming device, but will when I have to.

This looks like an awesome step into the future for heavy portable gamers, an area where Nintendo has shown some real slack. Personally I think the 3DS is a joke. And I am a huge Nintendo fan, but very disappointed in their direction these past few years.

It seems to me that most of you are hating on Sony just because it's Sony, and aren't providing any real reasons. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I hate the way that as soon as one device pushes technology forward it's the expected standard. This device a year ago, even six months ago, would blow you out of the water. Stop being so picky.
  • Reply 33 of 137
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    Sony is a company that is trying to find it's way back to prominence, IMO. I hope that this new device is one of the first steps, although I have my doubts. My recent experiences with Sony have not been good. My wife had bought a DVD with a digital copy but you could not download it on a Mac. It really is something that should be simple to do but left me with a bad feeling about Sony.

Neal
  • Reply 34 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n42 View Post

I am very excited for this but it in no way affects how/when/if I will use/buy/upgrade my iPhone.

I don't understand all the negative stigma here. This is not out to replace the iPhone, it's simply trying to regain share of the gaming market. Which I think is entirely reasonable: as a long time gamer, I hate using the iPhone as a gaming device, but will when I have to.

This looks like an awesome step into the future for heavy portable gamers, an area where Nintendo has shown some real slack. Personally I think the 3DS is a joke. And I am a huge Nintendo fan, but very disappointed in their direction these past few years.

It seems to me that most of you are hating on Sony just because it's Sony, and aren't providing any real reasons. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I hate the way that as soon as one device pushes technology forward it's the expected standard. This device a year ago, even six months ago, would blow you out of the water. Stop being so picky.

Well they copied xbox with award system (or whatever it's called). They copied Nintendo with PS3wiimotes. They are replicating the iPhone/Touch with their new gaming system. Just because they slap a crap load of buttons and controls doesn't mean it's not a copy. That goes exactly for their new motion controllers and the iPhone gaming system just announced.
  • Reply 35 of 137
    Sony might have a better chance against Nintendo as they're also selling a high spec device. But Apple's lower store pricing is going to be hard to beat.

I don't see me buying the NGP or the kids a Nintendo 3DS just yet given the higher cost of the games. In fact I view the Sony's NGP and Nintendo 3DS as too expensive for my young kids.
  • Reply 36 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It appears that Sony, after watching the iPhone and iPod touch chip away at its market share for years, decided on an awkward marriage of the intuitive touch and motion controls of iOS with the legacy gamepad and analog stick controls from its previous PlayStation products.

This just floored me. You don't think the fact they are releasing games for both phones and portable console was considered? You don't suppose that the "awkward marriage" of controls as executed by the Nintendo DS that came out years before the iPhone and has shipped >140 million had anything to do with it?

You think Sony just looked at the iPhone and said "let's copy that"?

And then this...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As with the PlayStation Portable and the PlayStation 3, Sony has once again turned to raw hardware specs and processing power to drive sales.

Yeah, it's just specs... well specs and a whole bunch of games and franchises that shit over anything available on iOS.

Sony make their own games. They have over 30 1st and 2nd party developers on board.

Obviously Apple get huge kudos for creating a way for devs to easily monetize their ideas, but apart from that they have done precious little for gaming on iOS.

I have no doubt that if iPod/iPhone/iPad had to compete as a "games" platform, as opposed to an "it's awesome as a phone/contacts/email/Internet browser that I can listen to my music on and heck I can play games on it as well" platform that both the PSP and NDS would wipe the floor with it.

EDIT

OK, so I've got to clarify this before a bunch of rabid lunatics start frothing at the mouth and hurling abuse at me.

I think the PSP will undoubtedly offer a superior gaming experience over iOS, but I also think it will bomb as a platform.

Just like countless other devices that were once seen as something to be purchased separately, mobile gaming has become just another feature check-box commodity of our converging electronic lives.

So let's just call a spade a spade. Yes, iOS will be a more popular gaming platform, but that doesn't mean that it's "better".

EDIT 2

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The NGP will certainly offer the best possible mobile gaming experience. But I am pretty sure it will be a disaster as a platform.

^^QFT
  • Reply 37 of 137
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    The original PSP had a large screen - physical controls - and a high specification.

It appealed to to hard-core gamers. But sold poorly. Software was patchy because developers faced full-sized development costs and lower mobile revenues.

This product repeats the exact same mistakes.

It is large and single purpose. So it's not for girls. You really need a bag to carry it in.

So if you are a casual gamer, you'll get an iPod touch or a 3DS.

The NGP is a full-on hardcore gamer machine. And if you are a hardcore gamer, then Angry Birds is not going to cut it. You'll want .. no, you'll demand! .. full games, with fancy graphics and epic production values.

Sounds good, but developers will need deep pockets to fund NGP development. And in return they'll get a smaller share of the revenues. And a much smaller market.

And while hardcore gamers say they want epic games on a handheld, they really resent paying full-sized console prices for mobile content.

The NGP will certainly offer the best possible mobile gaming experience. But I am pretty sure it will be a disaster as a platform.

C.
  • Reply 38 of 137
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

I would buy this! Some games are just nicer to play on with the D-pad, analog sticks and solid buttons.

Most in this segment. As much I like the iOS, control using a touch based virtual D-pad can be sketchy at best.
  • Reply 39 of 137
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

The original PSP had a large screen - physical controls - and a high specification.

It appealed to to hard-core gamers. But sold poorly.

Right, so 62 million units is now selling poorly?
  • Reply 40 of 137
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Right, so 62 million units is now selling poorly?

Yes! That's less than 10M units per year.

So the actual number of units in use is very low.

And the number of games sold per device is also very low.

It's not been a commercial success.

C.