Apple's iOS reaches 2% worldwide Web browser market share

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Using slight variations in gradients of green for the map graphic. Who came up with that brilliant idea?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How many Internet-connected computers are there? 3.5 billion?

Apple would have to sell 1.25 billion iOS devices, provided the entire market otherwise stagnates. Not happening.

Nice math
  • Reply 23 of 32
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DonSqueak View Post

Using slight variations in gradients of green for the map graphic. Who came up with that brilliant idea?

Same dummies who designed the fast forward bars on most every DVR ever made except Tivo. Does Tivo have a patent on that or something?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by some internet dude View Post

Android has just beaten out symbian for the number 1 mobile OS in the world, what ever the browser share is im sure its more than 2%. LOL.

Android: 0.49%

So when you say "I'm sure" you actually mean "I don't know what I'm talking about".
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I'm curious to know how caching policies are influencing these numbers, especially in the mobile arena where it is more limited. If a mobile browser caches a page, re-navigating to the content is not going to show up as a server request and contribute to marketshare numbers. From personal experience, my Android 2.2 phone observably caches more content than my 3GS which capped assets to cache @ 25kb. It was reported that the iPad cached no content when it was released w/ iOS 3.x. Hopefully this has been changed though.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 27 of 32
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Caching schemes make a huge difference and Net Application's data has no way to account for it, which explains why the network usage is so disproportionate to device unit sales.

Android caches, iPhone caches. Why would you assume that caching would skew the data?

Ideally the browser would attempt to check in with the server in case the page has updated which would result in a hit even though no data would be re-downloaded. Maybe because the iPhone has less memory than some smart phones might cause page reload more often, but I think the usage difference is the iPhone is just more fun and the typical iPhone user has more interest in surfing the internet.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Keep in mind certain things:

Keep in mind this # includes v. populous countries in which iOS devices arent very prevalent, such as China, India, etc and other where they are virtually non-existance. If you focus on NA and Europe, that number would skyrocket I bet. You would have had dozens and dozens of massive sites switch from flash to H.264/HTML5 to accomodate iOs devices if they werent a very important segment.

I think you mean "would not have" and to be clear html5 is not exclusive of Flash, so it would be incorrect to say that people are switching from Flash to html5. Although I don't think that's what you meant I just wanted to clarify for others. In regards to your point, which I believe is the growing use of the <video> tag in html5 in conjunction with h.264, lets be honest here, the "dozens and dozens" of sites that are "switching" to it, are not mainstream sites and if they are they are not abandoning Flash but supplementing it and only on devices like iPads and iPhones where ripping videos from the stream is next to impossible.

This will be further impacted I'm sure by Googles recent move away from h.264 and the imbedding of the Flash plugin into Chrome. Which my own analytic show to be the fastest growing browser out there. Albeit that is anecdotal evidence.

The TRUTH about web video is that there is no way to copy protect video with just the html5 video tag, and it's is not currently slated to be put into the html5 spec at all as far as I know. As a result Flash will continue to be around for video implementation when it has a commercial application. The bottom line here is Fox, CNN, ESPN, HULU etc etc, just don't want you to be able to take their videos. While it's not impossible with Flash, if it is implemented right it is certainly much harder. But I digress, this is an entirely different discussion however (one most of us who frequent these boards are very familiar with no doubt) and not really on point.

My point here is really that even after reviewing the analytics for the sites we are implementing, which in some cases are large fortune 500 sites, we are not seeing mobile usage overtake desktop usage and IE is still ruling the land followed closely by Firefox. I agree the mobile usage numbers will keep growing but for now the best solution is still good semantic programming and progressive enhancement. At the end of the day I just cant justify specifically targeting IOS devices as a dev and if I needed to I would build an app, which is what most companies targeting that space do.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You should look at your own logs or analytics to see what percent you are getting. It may be less or it may be a lot more than 2%, all depends on your clientele. I'm getting a little over 3% on a medical related site that has no special iOS formatting. FYI I never surf there on my own iOS device and my IPs not included in the stats.

Good point, I definitely follow this closely whenI have access, but really even at 3%, hell even at 10% can you justify developing for any specific features?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

As you say though, the total number is more important and the great thing about the biggest marketshare players is they all use the same webkit engine. Hopefully one day this will rid us of gecko, trident and presto. If Firefox went to webkit, this would push the webkit share above IE, which would then die out gradually.

Agreed. Totally love webkit, although I am starting to feel like Chrome is way snappier than Safari on my system. Also is it just me or is Firefox starting to feel more and more like IE? It is seriously the slowest browser on my comp.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alkrantz View Post

Agreed. Totally love webkit, although I am starting to feel like Chrome is way snappier than Safari on my system. Also is it just me or is Firefox starting to feel more and more like IE? It is seriously the slowest browser on my comp.

Plus FF really screws up every time I update it on my Mac. It literally takes 10 minutes to boot up the first time after an update.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alkrantz View Post

Good point, I definitely follow this closely whenI have access, but really even at 3%, hell even at 10% can you justify developing for any specific features?

Really depends. We sell some very high end medical equipment ($100K+) and I look at iPhone users as more likely to be decision makers, more so than Windows XP/IE6 users.