Verizon iPhone preorders sell out on first day

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Any guesses how many were allocated for pre-order?

They aren't saying how many. Why? because it's an unimpressive number and I'm sure this was the planned response in an attempt to generate hype.

Why would they not accept more pre-orders when they claim there will be stock in a week. Makes no sense other than an attempt to inflate demand.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Ouch! That's gotta hurt right there.

On the side note, the Verizon dude put some weight or what?
  • Reply 23 of 48
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

Oops ...

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2898

Heh, yeah and just in case you thought the writer might not be totally incompetent, he says this:

"
    Quote:

UPDATE: The article allows us to total up AT&T iOS activations (counting iPads) at about 4.5M for the quarter. Google says it’s activating Android devices at a rate of 200K * 90 = 18M per quarter. Conclusion: Android is outrunning iOS at a 4:1 ratio.

UPDATE2: UPDATE was incorrect. First, turns out it’s 300K or 24M Android devices per quarter, but that’s a worldwide number rather than a U.S. one. So to compute the actual ratio we need to know the percentage of Android sales going overseas. If it’s 33% or less – which seems likely based on press reports of “more limited” overseas sales – 4:1 or more is still right.

"

I'm not sure why he sees value in comparing Google's worldwide activations to Apple's ATT-only activations, but he does. Hey as long as he thinks he's proven something!

There is one thing where he makes a good point, but he then jumps to a bad conclusion from it. Apple is just about out of "switchers" in the USA. There aren't many more people willing or able to switch to ATT just for the iPhone. His conclusion drawn from that fact is that the iPhone is no longer capable of drawing switchers, anywhere. I think that when we compare Verizon to ATT iPhone activations in 3 months, we'll find out that Verizon got a seriously large number of switchers back from ATT. These aren't people jumping ship for Android. They are people who have been holding their noses with Android, or with ATT, just to use the iPhone. The prospect of an iPhone on a carrier they like better will cause them to switch in huge numbers again.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

They aren't saying how many. Why? because it's an unimpressive number and I'm sure this was the planned response in an attempt to generate hype.

Why would they not accept more pre-orders when they claim there will be stock in a week. Makes no sense other than an attempt to inflate demand.

Yeah, and Apple has clearly shown over the last 4 years that THAT doesn't work
  • Reply 25 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

Yeah, he got fat. Too many paychecks went to extra helpings of pudding.
  • Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:

Camera adds 10lbs or so..
  • Reply 27 of 48
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    I hope they have enough iPhones or else...

http://wulffmorgenthaler.com/strip/2011/02/03/world+war
  • Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

This people is why an iPhone on "Dinosaur" CDMA tech is a good idea. With 95 million customers, if Verizon was a country, it would be the 11th most populous in the world.

Good observation, Ben. I never looked at it that way. 11th. It is going to be really interesting to see how this unfolds. Certainly, a good start to have sold out all the pre-orders. I realize we don't know that number yet. But has to be better than the way the Galaxy numbers were presented recently.

I would guess that 20% of the current Verizon subscribers will buy an iP4 this year. Just a guess! Apple wins, again! Poor RIM.

Best
  • Reply 29 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Yeah, he got fat. Too many paychecks went to extra helpings of pudding.

I think his stage name is "pudd'n"

PS. I'd like to see all the AI posters "man-up" who said Apple will never do a CDMA iPhone for Verizon! If Verizon was a country, it would be the 11th most populous in the world!
  • Reply 30 of 48
    Again, CrapDroid doesn't LMAOL

who wanna buy a wanna be iphone when you can have a real deal. Crapdroid will always be crap. Customers vote with their wallets, not the stupid crapfandroid mouth hahahhahahahaha
  • Reply 31 of 48
    Once again, Apple comes ahead in this game. All those AT&T iPhone disgruntled customers are not going to line up with Verizon and buy this phone. Basically, Apple just double dipped :-) Nice Move!

Steve is no dummy! He didn't push AT&T very hard for their issues with dropped call or accessibility - From the get go and even through Antenna gate! Now you know why :-)
  • Reply 32 of 48
    Quote:

I noticed too. Guess sitting on your duff will do that to you.

I can remember when he first started out he was a lean walking machine, going everywhere and every step or two would ask, "Can you hear me now? Good!"

Maybe he should get a job at ATT. With everybody touting their lack of signal for calls, our chubby friend of yesteryear will be doing a lot of walking once again only this time he won't be checking the signal. He'll be trying to find one!
  • Reply 33 of 48
    bagmanbagman Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I noticed too. Guess sitting on your duff will do that to you.

I can remember when he first started out he was a lean walking machine, going everywhere and every step or two would ask, "Can you hear me now? Good!"

Maybe he should get a job at ATT. With everybody touting their lack of signal for calls, our chubby friend of yesteryear will be doing a lot of walking once again only this time he won't be checking the signal. He'll be trying to find one!

Yep, same question "Can you hear me now?" but he never gets an answer now, and starts doing ads for Jenny Craig "before: fat on Verizon, now: sveldt on ATT"
  • Reply 34 of 48
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

So he's got three or four cameras on him, then....
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Where'd the other 20 come from? The pudding?
  • Reply 36 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bstring View Post

Take it easy dude. The numbers have always been shattering again and again in the past so there is no reason to expect otherwise.

In order to avoid long lines and frustrated customers, Apple and VZ have to balance the ordering and registration process. No other phone gets the level of demand that the iPhone gets. Period.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

So far Verizon is Not doing much better than ATT. Wait till next week.I don't think weve seen anything yet!

Verizons been practicing for 3 years getting ready for that 'flawless' execution.

That comment is just plain dumb. No company is going to spend tons of money to upgrade a web site just to handle a one time 12 to 24 hour hit.

Plus it has no effect on the wireless network which has been supporting a large number of Android phones for over a year. I think Verizon will do fine.
  • Reply 38 of 48
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I'd like to see all the AI posters "man-up" who said Apple will never do a CDMA iPhone for Verizon!

Won't happen, for the most part. The words "I was wrong" just aren't in the typical hardcore AIer's vocabulary. Arguing vehemently for the 'Apple spin of the moment' is. \

As a result, AI forums are consistently a motherload of such sage predictions as "Apple DOESN'T need to go multi-carrier in the US!", "Who needs pic messaging? Mobile email will have mostly replaced texting and pic messaging within two years anyway (<-- told to me two years ago)", "3G?? Who NEEDS it! (said when the iPhone was at 2.5G)", and, of course, the ever lovin' "Apple will NEVER do a CDMA iPhone. Trust me on this."

I think a lot of the wrong-ness stems from some ppl being just too eager to play the apologist/stick up for whatever Apple's doing at the moment... so whatever Apple says at the moment becomes the Hand of God™.

But Apple doesn't (always) have those kind of sacred cows, they improvise and adapt to the market when needed- eventually. They have to, or they'll get their head handed to them by others who do. The at-the-time justifications are often just marketing spin, not necessarily anything carved in stone.

So teh bold fan predictions, they keep on getting blown up by Apple themselves, the instant it's in Apple's best interest to do so. It's just funny to see history keep repeating itself, and some folks seemingly always being caught flat-footed by it. You'd think they'd learn by now.

AI forums... they're a wacky, wacky place. In a good way.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

This people is why an iPhone on "Dinosaur" CDMA tech is a good idea. With 95 million customers, if Verizon was a country, it would be the 11th most populous in the world.

Actually the 12th after Mexico.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I think his stage name is "pudd'n"

PS. I'd like to see all the AI posters "man-up" who said Apple will never do a CDMA iPhone for Verizon! If Verizon was a country, it would be the 11th most populous in the world!

I admit I didn't think and probably said Apple wouldn't do a 'lesser' iPhone. I was wrong. I guess even a slightly lesser iPhone is still streets ahead of anything else.