gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post

Bla, bla, bla

Are you more than 7 years old?
  • Reply 62 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Everytime a DED article runs he still posts the old information.

His article headline about a CEO trashing android was also flame bait.

Thats for people like you who have poor or selective memories.

I see your rants on RDM, if you hate DED so much, as you obviously do, then why do you chase him all over cyber space to get your "pound of flesh" ?

I'm just curious.

You never refute any of his arguments, but simply go on a personal attack, quite immature don't you think ?
  • Reply 63 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Are you more than 7 years old?

Compared to you I'm 10 to the power of 7.

Got anything interesting to write, if not leave me alone. My final warning.
  • Reply 64 of 93
    Quote:

Compared to you I'm 10 to the power of 7.

Got anything interesting to write, if not leave me alone. My final warning.

Your final warning, or what?

My God, what a shame people like you can write the crap you write.
  • Reply 65 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Thank you for proving my point. I was wondering how long it would take.

See ya later, folks. I wish I could say it's been fun, but it hasn't.

AppleInsider now has a solid reputation as a site where Android trolls hang out to derail Apple conversations.

Look, you go to a site called AppleInsider and your agenda is basically anti-Apple, then you're a sad little troll.

This is a website by and for Apple product users. Of course Apple can and should be criticized when we think it messes up. But NOT when the haters think it messes up, which would be all the time.

That's a nice way of saying get lost.
  • Reply 66 of 93
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

I have yet to read a popular Android/WindowsPhone/Palm blog that does the same about iOS.

Antennagate.
  • Reply 67 of 93
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:

Get a grip, its AI, its for us Apple lovers, we can mock, ridicule android and M$ to our heart's contents, don't like, then LEAVE PLEASE.

I think there's one person here who needs to get a grip.

it's a publicly available forum, which invites registration. You wouldn't come here if it was an all round circle jerk. DED writes articles which inflame, he responds in kind on his own website, and clearly writes stuff which gets hits, draws people to this site. This in turn, generates clicks and means this site is paid, so people can get on here and righteously rant about OUR site and OUR beloved this and that. It's not YOUR anything.
  • Reply 68 of 93
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jivemaster View Post

iTunes is crap plain and simple. As an android+iPad user, I dread the iTunes system, and apple device dependancy on the program is not a good thing. It's slow, it's ugly, and it crashes, the iPad iteration crashes when loading one too many results in a search. On the other hand the android market is clean, well spaced out, and has great features, including having the decency to actually show you that you have already purchased something when viewing an uninstalled app. Only in the last few days has apple quietly added this functionality on the iTunes store. And i applaud them for that.

Have you used Kies, PC companion, PC Sync, LG mobile support tool, etc ?

Seeing as you brought up the subject of software, all of the above junk requires Windows to run most of it is required to update Android phones.
  • Reply 69 of 93
    Google fans' defense of the company which is mining their data is really quite shocking; there's a chump born every minute, perhaps, but surely it's obvious that a company distributing a "free" knockoff OS, must have a larger agenda?

Where the lunacy reaches an apex, however, is in Android fan's denial that Google copied the iOS look and feel, albeit poorly. Now they "travel" around in rabid packs swarming onto Apple websites to reduce intelligent conversation to name-calling and aggression.

I can only imagine these people are young, emotionally immature males, probably still at school, whose teenage enthusiasms are this year aimed at cheap smartphones and the defense thereof.

That's all very well, but do we really want our conversation interrupted, or opinions formed by, fourteen year olds?

AppleInsider needs much stricter moderation on this site; if most forum feedbacks degenerate to the levels of this one, all but the brawlers will abandon this site for quieter and saner pastures.
  • Reply 70 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Have you used Kies, PC companion, PC Sync, LG mobile support tool, etc ?

They are even crapier than iTunes
  • Reply 71 of 93
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:

5- Idiot user would have to manually select to RUN the app from their phone. Aka: "Some app just installed itself on my phone and I have no idea what it does, let's open it and see what it's about"

Your right, that could never happen. Thats why we have no spambot networks.

Oh, wait, we do have spambot networks ... !!!

And yes, iOS is superior to Android.

J.
  • Reply 72 of 93
    Been lurking for awhile , but finally felt compelled to throw my 2 cents in with this topic.

First of all, to all the detractors insinuating this is a FUD tactic, it most certainly is not. As a current Android user (HTC Droid Eris) who's used the new online Market to install an app, it works exactly as stated, which is a huge security risk.

As a somewhat fairly competent Android user (rooted phone, XDA Dev member), I would know right away if my account ever got hacked and someone bought and/or installed apps remotely to my phone. But for many casual Android users, those who've never heard of "rooting" their phones, the unprompted install of a malicious app could very well slip by their radar.

Consider this scenario: Jane/John Doe is a casual Android user who mainly uses their smartphone for calls and texting, with the occasional web browsing and Angry Birds session every now and then. After unlocking their phone one day, they discover a notification in the status bar saying the application "Ringtone Maker by yadayadayada" has been installed. Now not knowing any better, they open the app drawer and discover said app. Thinking they must have downloaded this and just forgot they did, or maybe their carrier did OTA, they open the app to "check it out".

Now, unbeknownst to them, they've just activated a piece of malware, that the've mistakenly assumed is legit. To you and I this may seem far fetched, but this similar situation happens everyday to ordinary unassuming people via phishing scams and other nefarious tactics.

All that Google would have to do to mitigate this security risk, is provide a dialog prompt alerting the user whenever an application is remotely being installed to an Android device. At which point, the install can be either accepted or denied. Simple. To those who choose so, they can even be provided with an opt-out on future installs.

As it stands, right now, this is very much indeed a serious flaw imo, and hopefully Google addresses it swiftly for the sake of all Android users, whether they be technically inclined or not.
  • Reply 73 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bluest View Post

Been lurking for awhile , but finally felt compelled to throw my 2 cents in with this topic.

First of all, to all the detractors insinuating this is a FUD tactic, it most certainly is not. As a current Android user (HTC Droid Eris) who's used the new online Market to install an app, it works exactly as stated, which is a huge security risk.

Is FUD since you have to have the mail account compromised
  • Reply 74 of 93
    Wouldn't a better solution be to increase the security on Google account login?

There are a bunch of ways to do this, all the way from simply selecting your personal image when you log on to security code dongles or SMS verification.

I offered the exact same solution when the iTunes accounts we "phished" and a bunch of money was stolen from them.

A username/password is no longer a secure way to access an account. Especially for anything related to your finances. It's just that simple.

Disclaimer: there may already be a way to optionally switch something like this on in a Google account, I haven't researched it. If it does exist, feel free to explain how to do it.
  • Reply 75 of 93
    What Sophos have said is a load of rubbish and nothing more than a silly attempt to draw attention to their company and products.

I am a mac owner and I love my mac, but I use an Android phone, not an iPhone. In fact I ditched my iPhone 3G for an Android device because it offers me so much more than an iPhone.

Being able to conveniently buy an app online and then send it to my phone is just one of the many innovations that Android has, which trump the iPhone.

As others have already said, the excellent notification system on Android would show you that an app was installed, giving you the option to simply uninstall it.

Also, Google actually does control the Market to an extent, to keep out crapware and every user who comes across such an app can report it from within the Market immediately, so that Google can investigate.

I must say that I am disappointed in Apple Insider for always taking potshots at Google and Android, instead of reporting on Apple news. Are you just a mouth piece for Apple, used to feed that Apple kool aid to the masses and shoot down any and all competition?

Try reporting on Apple news only, with accurate content and professional journalism instead please. Maybe I'll still keep reading you then...
  • Reply 76 of 93
    Quote:

It only took general knowledge of the android platform to factcheck your statements, which arn't even close to being true. Not. Even. Close.

I presented actual links to back up my point, while all you needed was "general knowledge" to "prove" what I was saying wasn't true. How interesting. How typical.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Asa773 View Post

If you just took 30 seconds to Google "bitter complaints about Android" I'm sure thats exactly what you found. You're going to find what you search for.

Apparently that's the way YOU do your research, so you assume that's the way I'd do it. You're wrong. And, just like the other clown, you substitute your assumptions and tired, unsupported allegations for actual facts.
  • Reply 77 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gwydion View Post

Is FUD since you have to have the mail account compromised

Not all that hard to do nowadays with all the phishing and other email scams. I actually had a friend not to long ago fall victim to an email scam asking for his gmail password (promptly admonished him for giving it out, then helped him reset it).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Wouldn't a better solution be to increase the security on Google account login?

There are a bunch of ways to do this, all the way from simply selecting your personal image when you log on to security code dongles or SMS verification.

I offered the exact same solution when the iTunes accounts we "phished" and a bunch of money was stolen from them.

A username/password is no longer a secure way to access an account. Especially for anything related to your finances. It's just that simple.

Disclaimer: there may already be a way to optionally switch something like this on in a Google account, I haven't researched it. If it does exist, feel free to explain how to do it.

I don't know, to me that seems a more difficult solution to the problem, since most people after having setup their Gmail account, never go back and mess with the settings. It shouldn't be hard for Google to implement some kind of warning prompt for remote installs, hell they already have one in place with receiving files over bluetooth.
  • Reply 78 of 93
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 79 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by derekmorr View Post

Thank you for proving my point. I was wondering how long it would take.

See ya later, folks. I wish I could say it's been fun, but it hasn't.

So, you're sort of a drive by troll who missed his target, drove around the block a few times to try again, then left when he heard the sirens, without even grazing anyone?
  • Reply 80 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zencowboy View Post

... I used to enjoy AppleInsider, but you've all gone round the bend with your slavish worship of all-things Apple and willingness to bash Google without even considering whether or not your arguments make sense.

Oh, it's been considered, and they do all make sense.