Apple quotes 4-6 weeks on MacBook Pro replacements as production likely winds down

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

You better be on the ready to sell your stock because despite your desire for technology to stagnant the removal of the optical drive will happen.

You're kidding aren't you? Just because someone doesn't agree with you, they're stagnant. I prefer the DVD drive. If I didn't want one then I'd get a Macbook Air. I guess you'd like the iPod Classic gone too because it's too old school for you? Sheesh!!
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Squarepants View Post

It will be interesting to see how much SSDs have come down in price. At the moment the 13" MBA is priced above the MBP and if the cost of these drives has come down sufficiently we could see some interesting pricing and specs for the up coming 13" MBP.

NAND hasn?t really dropped in price due to the high demand. Not until we get NAND that uses the smaller process can we expect lower NAND prices for the same capacity, but that is something that ends with the SSDs, especially the ones OEMs use.

I read about people complaining about the 13? MBA being more costly than the 13? MB and MBP because of the slower processor and less storage capacity, but if you price the components they aren?t inexpensive. SSDs and small form factor, ultra-low voltage chips aren?t cheap.

Like many on this forum I?m hoping for the optical drive to be removed, Apple using Core-i chips with a discreet GPU, making the battery bigger, tapering it like the new MBAs, and using that SSD card for booting but also having an option for a 2nd drive as a HDD or SSD for increased storage.
  • Reply 23 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

You're kidding aren't you? Just because someone doesn't agree with you, they're stagnant. I prefer the DVD drive. If I didn't want one then I'd get a Macbook Air. I guess you'd like the iPod Classic gone too because it's too old school for you? Sheesh!!

You’re kidding aren’t you? If you have no use for a DVD drive in a notebook you assume that they don’t want increased data storage, 35W mobile CPU, discreet graphics, more than 4GB RAM, or more ports.

You’re kidding aren’t you? Not seeing where the world is heading and expecting it to stay exactly where you like it simply because you like it that way is stagnant mindset.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    Never ASSume because I just happen to be one of the early adapters when it comes to tech. BUT I'm one that sees old tech can still have its uses. Btw, most of my Apple hardware has been updated within the last year and a half starting with my iPod Touch.
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I've got a 3-year-old pre-unibody 2.2GHz 15" MBP. Still an awesome machine, and I still like the curved silver keys better than the 'chiclets'. Other companies still like to use that sexy machine in their ads when they need a computer for a prop.

But I'm hoping for something lighter with longer battery life. Been waiting to see what the spec's are on a new Macbook Pro before deciding to go with that or the top-of-the-line Macbook Air.

I've got a 2006 white Macbook 2.0ghz C2D woth an 80GB hd.... I'm thrilled to get something new. My power adapter failed a few months ago (second one probably, first out of pocket) and my battery just made the big system switch from "healthy" to "needs replacing." I'm not at the "battery critical" stage yet, though. Cant justify $80 on the adapter and then $129 for a new battery, so I would like them to release in the next month or two (which I know they will.) My battery did perform at basically the peak theoretical level that it could though, so I'm not ever going to complain. Ran beautifully for over 1k charge cycles, she had a great run.
  • Reply 26 of 44
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

The 13" should ditch the optical drive and stick in a larger battery and discrete graphics. Problem solved!

I agree with this. Most of the time when I travel I am dealing with digital content, movies, music. I never hop on a plane with a DVD and expect to make the entire flight with the drive spinning.

Someone out there should invent an external DVD drive with a built in battery, that would be cool.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

The 13" should ditch the optical drive and stick in a larger battery and discrete graphics. Problem solved!

Only if they still leave room in that bay for a second hard drive. I'd love to have a 64-128gb SSD for OS, Application, and Swap and still have a traditional hard drive for on-board data (lugging an external isn't particularly convenient, especially on an airplane or even a coffee shop).

Or, do what Sony used to do. Make that bay flexible. Optical drive for those who want one, SSD as BTO for those who want a screaming machine, or additional battery as a BTO for those who want incredibly long life...

It'll never happen, but one can dream...
  • Reply 28 of 44
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:

Never ASSume because I just happen to be one of the early adapters when it comes to tech. BUT I'm one that sees old tech can still have its uses. Btw, most of my Apple hardware has been updated within the last year and a half starting with my iPod Touch.

An optical drive WILL still have its uses for some for some years to come.

Which is why you'll be able to attach an external one on those occasions (you can put it right next to your mini-floppy drive perhaps) and the those who are past needing one will have a thinner, sleeker, more capable machine that's moved where the world is heading.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstermac77 View Post

My homepage is: http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

I want to upgrade so much. I've got a 3.06 GHz 15" Core 2 Duo. I'm around 19 months.

I have the 2010 MBP i7 and can tell you the difference from the Core 2 Duo is staggering. So the 2011 versions should make your eyes water. Enjoy.
  • Reply 30 of 44
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

I agree with this. Most of the time when I travel I am dealing with digital content, movies, music. I never hop on a plane with a DVD and expect to make the entire flight with the drive spinning.

Someone out there should invent an external DVD drive with a built in battery, that would be cool.

Or even a self powered solid state drive large enough for a few movies, DVDs are a pain. I always put a few movies on the hard drive for flights, it takes far less power to run them that way than spinning a DVD plus they are HD. However, even that saps the MBP's battery faster than I'd like.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

An optical drive WILL still have its uses for some for some years to come.

Which is why you'll be able to attach an external one on those occasions (you can put it right next to your mini-floppy drive perhaps) and the those who are past needing one will have a thinner, sleeker, more capable machine that's moved where the world is heading.

Some of you are just not thinking. Let me put it to you in simpler terms, "NOT ALL SOFTWARE, MOVIES, ETC. ARE IN DIGITAL FORM!!" I still have and get Install/Restore Disks!! I still get DVD Movies I have to rip and convert to mp4. I still get other company's software ONLY available on disk. I do not want to have to carry an external drive around. So BLAH, BLAH, BLAH I still need an optical drive.

p.s. I went to update a few apps at the app store and I didn't see Quicktime Pro. I still need to get it from Apples web site.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I have the 2010 MBP i7 and can tell you the difference from the Core 2 Duo is staggering. So the 2011 versions should make your eyes water. Enjoy.

Great. I'm planning to go from 4GB to 8GB, 15" to 17", 3.06GHz to highest custom ordered, and, depending on the price, 500GB to an SSD. If the Core 2 Duo to i7 is a big jump, I'm in for a wild ride. Patience pays off.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:

Some of you are just not thinking. Let me put it to you in simpler terms, "NOT ALL SOFTWARE, MOVIES, ETC. ARE IN DIGITAL FORM!!" I still have and get Install/Restore Disks!! I still get DVD Movies I have to rip and convert to mp4. I still get other company's software ONLY available on disk. I do not want to have to carry an external drive around. So BLAH, BLAH, BLAH I still need an optical drive.

p.s. I went to update a few apps at the app store and I didn't see Quicktime Pro. I still need to get it from Apples web site.

Too bad - you're quickly become a minority. Get an external drive.

And QuickTime Pro has been discontinued for a while. People just don't need all those old legacy formats any more. The new QuickTime player exports in H.264.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Big props to the current unibody model. The unibody is a gigantic upgrade in durability. Hopefully the new 13" MBP will have new chips other than Core 2 Duo. That will be quite a desktop replacement, indeed.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

Too bad - you're quickly become a minority. Get an external drive.

And QuickTime Pro has been discontinued for a while. People just don't need all those old legacy formats any more. The new QuickTime player exports in H.264.

Quicktime Pro? I doubt it. Go to Apples web site.

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/hom...mco=OTY2ODUzOA

External Drive? Guess again? I have four external HDDs!! Two 1 TB and two 2 TB plus an assortment of portable USB drives. I also have a external DVD burner hooked up to my 24" iMac. Although not hooked up I DO have a USB floppy!!

Btw, for some apps I still need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component!! Do you even know what QuickTime does?
  • Reply 36 of 44
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    It's really stunning that AppleInsider doesn't seem to have its Apple insider sources any more. Everything seems like guess work and regurgitation of analysts' reports, like the shit Shaw Wu comes up with. I remember reading about specific details on unreleased hardware & was like whoa this site has the edge. But that seems non-existent now...
  • Reply 37 of 44
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

It's really stunning that AppleInsider doesn't seem to have its Apple insider sources any more. Everything seems like guess work and regurgitation of analysts' reports, like the shit Shaw Wu comes up with. I remember reading about specific details on unreleased hardware & was like whoa this site has the edge. But that seems non-existent now...

ThinkSecret is who used to really come up with good stuff.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Please move all the laptops off Core 2 platform. It's a been very long transition to Core i, and its about time that all macbooks moved to at least a core i3.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    Is anyone else here afraid that some of these flawed chips will make it into the new MBPs? If I was buying this revision, I'd probably hold back until I was CERTAIN the flawed chips were not in these machines.
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

Is anyone else here afraid that some of these flawed chips will make it into the new MBPs? If I was buying this revision, I'd probably hold back until I was CERTAIN the flawed chips were not in these machines.

It would not really matter for a MBP which only uses two SATA ports.The other 4 (the ones with the potential problem) go unused.

But it would still feel like you were paying for parts with a known defect.