Apple's Verizon iPhone 4 launch deemed a 'yawner' due to strong preorders

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Where are the Android lines? Never have been, never will be. Generic commodity phones don't generate the excitement and publicity of an Apple launch. Sorry Droid chauvinists.

Thats because an android phone launches more often than the iPhone and through more retail outlets.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    I'm one of those customers your referring to. Over the past 4 years I've had an iPhone 1, Sprint Evo 4G, and now a Verizon iPhone 4. I can honestly say...from experience with Android that it sucks. It looks pretty at first until you bite down into it. Then you realize it's just a plain old cracker.

1 - Battery life was awful

2 - the Android Market is shady!!!!! I felt like I was dealing out of a back alley in Budapest.

3 - Why is my Phone always hot?...

4 - Why does the OS reset in the middle of a phone call?

5 - I'd like to put my own crap on my crappy android phone. I don't need a carrier to preload it for me.

6 - Hell. I paid $400 bucks for this thing!

I love my walled garden now....It keeps the riff raff out! So xSamplex please speak for yourself..not for me.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Many Verizon customers have already discovered that Android devices provide a very similar user experience to the iPhone, and without the walled-garden aspect of Apple's app-store. Why would anyone expect them to be clamoring for a fundamentally similar replacement device? The gap is just not as large as it was when the iPhone first came out and the wow factor was gigantic.

• Reply 23 of 36
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    That was before the iPhone was even a choice.

I know of several people ready to give up their Android phones.

The real test will be the iPhone 5 launch this summer.

Quote:

Many Verizon customers have already discovered that Android devices provide a very similar user experience to the iPhone, and without the walled-garden aspect of Apple's app-store. Why would anyone expect them to be clamoring for a fundamentally similar replacement device? The gap is just not as large as it was when the iPhone first came out and the wow factor was gigantic.

• Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

At what point can a new product be successful even if there is not a line around the block? Is it a failure when Dial comes out with a new soap fragerance or Johnson & Johnson comes out with a new flavor of Children's Tylonel if there aren't long lines at the CVS Pharmacy?

For about the billionth time, the Antenna is not and never was faulty.. its only in the media's wishful imagination. There is more then enough proof to show that virtually every phone can suffer signal loss depending on how its held.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:

They don't have the "walled-garden aspect of Apple's app store" but they also don't have any worthwhile apps, period. The "walled-garden aspect of Apple's app store" is by far the iPhone's strongest selling point. The only people who think it's a negative are the same group of niche consumers who get excited about task killers.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Here's a damn good laugh for everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUaFywhywjA

And no, not like a laugh as in "look how bad Apple is" just a laugh as in, look how awkward this was...

The staff outnumbered the customers 10-1 lol
  • Reply 27 of 36
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I think all of this was unnecessary on Verizon's part. Its a 7 month old phone that had big pre-orders and is launching at several other locations on the same day. We are roughly three months from the announcement of the next new iPhone. Not the combination for long lines.

This summer will be different though.

Quote:

And no, not like a laugh as in "look how bad Apple is" just a laugh as in, look how awkward this was...

• Reply 28 of 36
    Verizon iPhone sales are going to be spread out as people's contracts expire over the next year. I see no problem in that. AT&T's iPhone releases are times so people who bought iPhone's on launch day 2 years previous will all be ready to upgrade at the same time.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    No stress for me.

The idea of getting up at 2.30am to preorder sucked, but not nearly as much as waiting until yesterday, then waiting outside in the cold, taking half a day off and *maybe* ending up with a phone. I went back to sleep at 3.15 that night feeling pretty good about things.

Getting my phone on Monday (yes, one of those pacing Verizon people who's been waiting 5 years), having it up and running at home in less than half an hour 4 days before release time certainly didn't suck. In fact, most people who have seen I have an iP4 have asked me how I got it before release date and none of them have AT&T ones either, and are interested in the Verizon one in the near future.

I also don't mind the avoidance of dodgy apps through Apple as well as the fact that a lot of the apps I wanted to run I was pretty unsure I'd find for Android currently. I'm on wifi about 99% of the time...Since Monday I've used 30megabytes of data, and that's with pretty constant use every day, I haven't had a drop out nor have I felt that the network has been unreasonably slow when I've been away from wifi.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not relevant. First, when the iPhone originally came out, people were standing in line at AT&T because AT&T was the only place to get the iPhone. Further, Apple hyped the iPhone for four months prior to releasing it. Second, after the iPhone was out for a year and Apple introduced the second generation iPhone, AT&T offered upgrade incentives. So, people who still had a year on their contracts could upgrade with no penalty. Further, they could sell the first generation iPhone for more then what the cost of the new phone was. So, they were often times a couple of hundred dollars richer. Third, after the third generation iPhone came out, many of the initial purchasers were now out of contract so again there were no penalties for switching iPhones, and old iPhones are still selling for more then what people paid out of pocket for them. Further, AT&T again gave renewal and upgrade incentives.

Verizon is giving no upgrade incentives. The termination fee is large. Further, people on Verizon don't have a current iPhone to sell thereby offsetting any termination fee. Most AT&T customers are still under contract so even if they were considering switching there would be a few hundred dollars termination fee. Not worth it.

Very few people buying the Verizon iPhone are coming from AT&T. They are coming from Sprint and T-Mobile. Verizon people most likely preordered or ordered online.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Apple/AT&T also had online preorders....and orders online during the kickoff. Yet, there were still longs lines outside of every store. Once the numbers come in, we will know how successful this was.

• Reply 31 of 36
    I think it is a wait and see delay...

I have an original Droid on Verizon with about a year left on my contract. It would cost me $700.00 to get an iPhone 4. While the Droid bugs are annoying it is a pretty good phone and can even do a few things that the iPhone cannot do. Mine even has a cracked screen and has been under water once....

The ONLY reason I can tolerate the Droid until a new iPhone comes out is that it is rooted. The rooted ROMS fix most of the problems with Android. ( There are still a few annoying bugs that no one has been able to fix ) It is quite ironic that the hacked ROMS are significantly more stable than the "Official" ROMS.

I also have a 3G iPad. I now use it more than I do the Droid. I think that I can wait until a better iPhone is avaliable. lately, I have been thinking about simply going back to a standard cell phone and simpy using the iPad for data needs.... My 46 year old eyes can see the 10" iPad a lot better than the little phone displays....
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:

Here's a damn good laugh for everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUaFywhywjA

Yeah, that was pretty awkward.. May have been even more so if the person was there for a reason other than the Verizon iPhone. :P
  • Reply 33 of 36
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xennex View Post

Yeah, that was pretty awkward.. May have been even more so if the person was there for a reason other than the Verizon iPhone. :P

LOL! Yeah, like "Umm, I'm here to apply for a job?"
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

That was before the iPhone was even a choice.

I know of several people ready to give up their Android phones.

The real test will be the iPhone 5 launch this summer.

I agree. I know several people who have recently switched back to an iPhone after having an Android phone.

More interesting to me, I know two people who have switched back to WebOS from Android even acknowledging that the Droid hardware was much better - they just never really liked the Android OS as much.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

They don't have the "walled-garden aspect of Apple's app store" but they also don't have any worthwhile apps, period. The "walled-garden aspect of Apple's app store" is by far the iPhone's strongest selling point. The only people who think it's a negative are the same group of niche consumers who get excited about task killers.

Well put
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by normang View Post

For about the billionth time, the Antenna is not and never was faulty.. its only in the media's wishful imagination. There is more then enough proof to show that virtually every phone can suffer signal loss depending on how its held.

Huh??? I didn't say anything about the antenna.