HP announces plans to add webOS to its Windows PCs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HahaHaha321 View Post

Then what the hell are they supposed to work with? Certainly not OS X. I hope you you realize there aren't many choices out there.

I'm looking forward to this. Maybe Apple will do something similar, allowing iPhone apps to run on the Mac.

Which iPhone apps ? Safari, Mail, iTunes, App store, these are all on there.

3rd party apps you refer to, then be more specific in your post.

Angry Birds runs sweetly on a MBP. There are others. I just don't get your post.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

As a layer on top of Windows, I think this will fail totally. As a standalone environment, I think it would have a chance, but if users have to manage Windows to run it, there's absolutely no simplicity advantage, it's actually more complicated. As a special Windows environment, I don't think developers will support it either, and apps designed to work on touchscreen systems won't work well in a keyboard and mouse environment. This is a waste of time and resources for HP.

Right on.

I don't get HP with throwing a layer on top of windoze rubbish, and yes it is rubbish, I unfortunately have to use it at work every day, and it constantly fails me.

Its like putting a nice dress on a ugly girl.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Bonus points for trying, HP... But... *sigh* I just don't think you'll be able to pull it off.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    This one is tricky... as much as the idea of a virtualized (cloud sync'd?) WebOS running on Windows appeals to someone like me, I just don't see it being a mainstream product.

There are bunch of dual-boot motherboards (Gigabyte and Asus I think) that allow you to dual-boot to Windows or an embedded Linux running off the board. They were never really successful and I don't see this being a path for WebOS either.

Which leaves dedicated WebOS desktops and laptops which I can't see as being anything more than a very niche product.

If all you're doing is browsing the web, checking email and listening to some music then what benefit does something like a WebOS desktop offer over an iPad? (or even TouchPad).

If someone actually needs a laptop/desktop they are going to be doing something more than just browsing the web, checking email and listening to some music and for these more complex tasks they are going to be better off with a full OS which again rules out WebOS.

That just leaves people that don't have the technical skills to maintain a Win7 or OSX notebook/desktop (these days 10 year old kids have enough skill) but are actually doing tasks complex enough that they need a full laptop/desktop.

So it's essentially for my grandmother when she decides to write a novel.

If Apple decided to do something like this (i.e. a $499 ARM iOS iMac/MB Air) bundled with mobile iWork and iLife and compatible with their application store it would be a whole different story.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

... Which leaves dedicated WebOS desktops and laptops which I can't see as being anything more than a very niche product.

If all you're doing is browsing the web, checking email and listening to some music then what benefit does something like a WebOS desktop offer over an iPad? (or even TouchPad).

If someone actually needs a laptop/desktop they are going to be doing something more than just browsing the web, checking email and listening to some music and for these more complex tasks they are going to be better off with a full OS which again rules out WebOS. ...

So it's essentially for my grandmother when she decides to write a novel. ...

It's for your grandmother when she wants to video chat with the grandkids, or get some pictures off that digital camera she got last christmas but doesn't know how to email them to anyone. The benefit of the desktop over the tablet is that she doesn't have to hold it while she's video chatting, because grandma's arms aren't as steady as they used to be.

That's one potential buyer, and I think their are other "types" that would be interested in such a computer.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It's for your grandmother when she wants to video chat with the grandkids, or get some pictures off that digital camera she got last christmas but doesn't know how to email them to anyone. The benefit of the desktop over the tablet is that she doesn't have to hold it while she's video chatting, because grandma's arms aren't as steady as they used to be.

That's one potential buyer, and I think their are other "types" that would be interested in such a computer.

Yeah maybe. If it were my grandma I'd still tell her to get an iPad for that stuff over a WebOS desktop/laptop

My iPad case folds back into a stand that sits up nicely on a table so I don't have to hold it.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    I have to say, HP is doing a much better job of copying Apple's strategy than is Microsoft.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    I guess HP still doesn't get it. There is an installation base of 1 billion PCs and 4 billion mobile devices. Why not focus on marketing to carve out a larger portion of the bigger market? WebOS on PCs will be a failure.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    I see WebOS being used as a gimmick interface, much like their touchscreen UI they currently implement.

It could be good. Especially if it enabled HP to open a "PC App Store", selling WebOS apps in a "Mac App Store" fashion.

But it could also be ridiculously bad.

WebOS is a dying smartphone OS. HP is trying to get some mileage out of their investment in it. I don't buy Windows PCs anymore, so it will be fun to watch this from the sidelines.