iOS jailbreakers thwarted by Apple's latest version of iBooks

Comments

• Reply 121 of 163
    Quote:

But according to Social Apples, the security measure also prevents users from accessing legally purchased e-books through the iBooks application on a jailbroken device. Though it is a warranty voiding process, the practice of jailbreaking to run unauthorized code was deemed legal by the U.S. government last July.

But blocking people from using legally purchased DRM files on unsupported platforms is also legal.

What, you wanted to crack your cake and eat it too?

Buy used books and always wear white.
  • Reply 122 of 163
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Granted, this is kind of a snarky move by Apple, but when you choose to take an item outside specifications (even if doing so is legal), you have to deal with the consequences of those actions.

You can't play in the walled garden, hop the fence, and expect to hop back and forth across the fence without some consequences and difficulties.

You are not being denied permanent access to your books. You can restore your iPhone to factory firmware and use your books just fine whenever YOU want.
  • Reply 123 of 163
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Have you read the terms and conditions that you agreed to before downloading anything from iTunes?

I certainly haven't - but I'd bet my hat that there's a clause in there which allows Apple to do exactly what it's done. The jury might be out on whether it's immoral, but illegal it ain't.

As with any DRM-protected content, you haven't paid for the content. You've paid for a license to make use of it under certain circumstances.

True, but many still refuse to acknowledge reality. ebooks are just like regular books and mp3s are just like CDs, in that you never owned the content just the right to use it. Books you owned the paper not the story, CDs you own the CD no tthe music. People have always had a hard time understanding and accepting this reality in the both analogy and digital worlds.
  • Reply 124 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

So Apple is within thier rights to withhold something new that has not been paid for to jailbreakers. Apple is not within thier rights to withhold something that has already been paid for.

Yes they are. Jailbreakers have forfeited rights to their app store purchases because they have broken the contract. Apple is under NO legal obligation to support jailbroken devices or the legitimately purchased apps on them. End of story.
  • Reply 125 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

So, a 'Pre-emtive strike' on iBooks, for something I may, or may not do in the future; is justification for preventing me from accessing iBooks I have legitimately already paid for? Why not block the iPod functionality - just in case? Why not shut down my phone service, just in case?

Jailbreaking is LEGAL.

Denying me access to material that I have legitimately purchased is ILLEGAL.

Simple enough?

Hodar, Apple is not denying you access to your e-books, you are denying yourself access. Apple has given you a way to view your e-books, you just choose not to use it. That's not Apple's problem, that's your problem.

So here are your choices:

1. Re-install iOS through iTunes and enjoy your books.

2. Don't re-install iOS through iTunes and don't enjoy your books.

Fundamentally, it's your choice.
  • Reply 126 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I bought my iPhone from AT&T for $200

I pay my monthly AT&T bill of $113

I jailbreak my phone

Now, books I have purchased for ~$15 each are not viewable?

How is this not extortion? What I am doing (jailbreaking) is perfectly legal. What Apple has done, is denying me the ability to view a book I have legitimately paid for.

This is nothing short of extortion. Now, this will create a new effort by people to crack the DRM on iBooks; and when the DRM is broken on iBooks - this will create a new Book piracy industry that does not exist today.

As we used to say in grade school - "Nice move, Ex-lax"

a solution is already out....its called 'don't buy apple products'. do your best to get out of the reality distortion field. you will breath easier, have more cash, and have a lot more fun.
  • Reply 127 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Hodar, Apple is not denying you access to your e-books, you are denying yourself access. Apple has given you a way to view your e-books, you just choose not to use it. That's not Apple's problem, that's your problem.

hey kim jong il! when did you move south and start barking orders?
  • Reply 128 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Yes they are. Jailbreakers have forfeited rights to their app store purchases because they have broken the contract. Apple is under NO legal obligation to support jailbroken devices or the legitimately purchased apps on them. End of story.

apple will be sued over this one. and lose.
  • Reply 129 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Nope. And nope.

For several, unrelated reasons.
  • Reply 130 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy not being able to buy books in the future.

Oh yes, I will enjoy not spending one yota of my hard earned money so that any corporation can decide how, where and in which thing I should read it, where I should keep it, and perhaps even retrieve it back with no notice, like amazon already did once.

Until DRM is gone, it's a no brainer for me. And if all world gets crazy and accepts this lunatic status quo, I'll just pirate everything I need.
  • Reply 131 of 163
    jukesjukes Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Apple might be sued, but it won't lose. It's clear that an iBook purchase isn't a book, but rather a license to view the digitized content of the book on up to 5 authorized devices. A jailbroken iOS device is not considered authorized, so there's no suit.

This probably wouldn't fly in some other countries that have stronger consumer protection laws, like Brazil, where the terms of service would likely be invalidated. It's how it works here though. As much as that sucks.
  • Reply 132 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Agreed.

Additionally, people mis-state things when they say that jailbreaking is "legal."

Jailbreaking has not been declared "legal." What happened is that the decision was made that jailbreaking is "not illegal" (provided certain conditions prevail). It may not seem like it but that's a big difference. One of those conditions is that if the purpose of the jailbreaking is itself to break the law or assist in breaking the law, then it's no longer a legal thing to do.

Ridiculous! Something that is not illegal, is legal, by definition. Go educate yourself before stating such obvious nonsensical thing.

If I use a car to steal a bank, does that mean that driving that car is "illegal"?

Quote:

In other words, if your intention when jailbreaking is to get around the DRM on the iBooks store, then it's 100% illegal. Jailbreaking as it currently exists enables one to get around the DRM on the contents of the iBooks store, therefore it enables an illegal act.

If you want to be all technical about it, at least be rigorous. What is illegal here is the pirating, not "getting around the DRM," bla bla bla, or the "jailbraking" bla bla bla.

Quote:

All of this is admittedly quite hazy, but people going on about how "jailbreaking is 100% legal" and that this should somehow trump Apple's attempts to lock down content and so forth are being ignorant at best.

irony is so great on this one, it makes my head asplode.
  • Reply 133 of 163
    Quote:

"But according to Social Apples, the security measure also prevents users from accessing legally purchased e-books through the iBooks application on a jailbroken device. Though it is a warranty voiding process, the practice of jailbreaking to run unauthorized code was deemed legal by the U.S. government last July."

And therein lies an opportunity for a massive class action lawsuit to happen.
  • Reply 134 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Without copyright and patent protections in place, the economic incentive for creating content and inventions disappears and you end up with a non-competitive market as developed as Afghanistan.

Unsupportable ideological babble. Do not confuse private property with this shenanigan that is called "intellectual property", whose reasons for existence were not born out of mercantilism but rather of control of the status quo, quite some centuries ago.

The fact that germany got a very interesting 19th century without such arbitrary laws is a testament against the ignorance portrayed in your quote.
  • Reply 135 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post

Jailbreaking is indeed legal. There are no guarantees that all other legitamate functions need to be supported once jailbroken.

In other words, it's also legal for Apple to not fully support JBd devices.

This is the correct interpretation. It's all "legal". It's also shitty.
  • Reply 136 of 163
    vandilvandil Posts: 187member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Quoted for truth.

/thread.
  • Reply 137 of 163
    Greenpois0n 4.2.1 - iBooks not working

Redsn0w 0.9.7 (untethered) - iBooks not working

Redsn0w 0.9.6 (tethered) - iBooks working. Just keep hitting OK and eventually the book will open after 5 to 10 tries.

Looks like I'll have to stick with Redsn0w 0.9.6 tethered for now.
  • Reply 138 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Greenpois0n 4.2.1 - iBooks not working

Redsn0w 0.9.7 (untethered) - iBooks not working

Redsn0w 0.9.6 (tethered) - iBooks working. Just keep hitting OK and eventually the book will open after 5 to 10 tries.

Looks like I'll have to stick with Redsn0w 0.9.6 tethered for now.

I believe this is now fixed so you can be untethered an keep using the app. And it respects the drm of the iBook.
  • Reply 139 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jukes View Post

Apple might be sued, but it won't lose. It's clear that an iBook purchase isn't a book, but rather a license to view the digitized content of the book on up to 5 authorized devices. A jailbroken iOS device is not considered authorized, so there's no suit.

This probably wouldn't fly in some other countries that have stronger consumer protection laws, like Brazil, where the terms of service would likely be invalidated. It's how it works here though. As much as that sucks.

The key is that you are buying a license to view digitalized content. And buy not using Apples IOS there is no protection for the digitalized content. While this move seems unfair its really protection for those that have paid.
  • Reply 140 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

The key is that you are buying a license to view digitalized content. And buy not using Apples IOS there is no protection for the digitalized content. While this move seems unfair its really protection for those that have paid.

It seems that the fix respects the drm of the iBook so everyone who has paid is protected.