iOS jailbreakers thwarted by Apple's latest version of iBooks

Comments

• Reply 141 of 163
    finetunesfinetunes Posts: 2,065member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Ridiculous, stupid, ignorant, etc. Something that is not illegal, is legal, by fucking definition. Go educate yourself before stating such obvious nonsensical thing.

What retarded bullshit.

Fuck irony is so great on this one, it makes my head asplode.

Chill

• Reply 142 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

That's clever!

I think so too. Now if only they'd also do this for all Apple apps e.g. mail and ipod.
  • Reply 143 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I bought my iPhone from AT&T for $200

I pay my monthly AT&T bill of $113

I jailbreak my phone

Now, books I have purchased for ~$15 each are not viewable?

How is this not extortion? What I am doing (jailbreaking) is perfectly legal. What Apple has done, is denying me the ability to view a book I have legitimately paid for.

This is nothing short of extortion. Now, this will create a new effort by people to crack the DRM on iBooks; and when the DRM is broken on iBooks - this will create a new Book piracy industry that does not exist today.

As we used to say in grade school - "Nice move, Ex-lax"

when you activated your phone, you agreed to terms that said: "Unauthorized modification of your iPhone software violates the software license agreement." You violated the licensing agreement, not Apple. The code in iBooks is trying to prevent book piracy by blocking a way to bypass the DRM on books.

And the software people install on jailbroken phones, such as Mywi, also violate agreements. MyWi effectively steals service from cell phone companies.

The finger is being pointed in the wrong direction if you think Apple is doing the wrong thing here.
  • Reply 144 of 163
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    I buy my books printed on paper. I like them that way. Apple doesn't make yet more profit out of me and can have no say in how I use what I have legitimately purchased.
  • Reply 145 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

I think so too. Now if only they'd also do this for all Apple apps e.g. mail and ipod.

Why do you care what people do with their phones - especially as it is totally legal? Besides, a work around would be found in a matter of days if not hours.
  • Reply 146 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

Who owns your iPhone??

I own the phone, but I agreed to various conditions when I signed up to use iTunes, to buy things from the iTunes store, and to buy things from the iBooks Store.

If those terms stipulate that if I am running an unauthorised OS version on my device, that I won't be allowed to view content on that device, and I decide that I want to jailbreak my device, I need to accept that I already agreed to those terms, and that I won't be allowed to view the content ? even if I already paid for it. It's as simple as that.
  • Reply 147 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I buy my books printed on paper. I like them that way.

I agree, somehow I like to read my books in the paper and not virtual mode.

Quote:

Apple doesn't make yet more profit out of me and can have no say in how I use what I have legitimately purchased.

However, even if you purchased your book legally, if it has a copyright, you can't do with it what you want. You can't make copies of it and sell them, you can't make a movie from it and you can't make a pdf version and place it on your website.....so there are certain limitations what you can do with your book.
  • Reply 148 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by A Grain of Salt View Post

Hodar, Apple is not denying you access to your e-books, you are denying yourself access. Apple has given you a way to view your e-books, you just choose not to use it. That's not Apple's problem, that's your problem.

So here are your choices:

1. Re-install iOS through iTunes and enjoy your books.

2. Don't re-install iOS through iTunes and don't enjoy your books.

Fundamentally, it's your choice.

You forgot choice 3 - re-jailbreak with Pwnage 4.2 which fixed the iBooks nonsense.
  • Reply 149 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

apple will be sued over this one. and lose.

Disagree. Apple will not be sued over this as it is entirely within their right to play this stupid little game. You have the legal right to jaibreak and Apple has the legal right to try to prevent you from doing so.

I'm a jailbreaker and proud of it, but that doesn't change the fact that Apple does have the right to try to prevent me from doing so at any level they control.
  • Reply 150 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

The key is that you are buying a license to view digitalized content. And buy not using Apples IOS there is no protection for the digitalized content. While this move seems unfair its really protection for those that have paid.

No - it is not protection at all for those that paid. It is protection for those who profit from the sale of the books. Once you pay and have the book, what do you care if someone is reading it on a jailbroken device or not? Publishers and Apple will charge the maximum anount that the market will bear, not really influenced by the amount lost by pirates (that I do not condone, BTW).
  • Reply 151 of 163
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FineTunes View Post

I agree, somehow I like to read my books in the paper and not virtual mode.

However, even if you purchased your book legally, if it has a copyright, you can't do with it what you want. You can't make copies of it and sell them, you can't make a movie from it and you can't make a pdf version and place it on your website.....so there are certain limitations what you can do with your book.

I meant they couldn't suddenly prevent me from reading that which I have purchased, nor could they prevent me from on-selling it, donating it to a hospice, exchanging it at a 2nd hand bookstore and other such legitimate and legal uses.
  • Reply 152 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Damn_Its_Hot View Post

What you really hear is Apple saying is lets support developers. Jailbreaking is the way apps are pirated. Not all people with jailbroken iPhones (?) steal software but per news reports there are enough of them out there that at times it has been approx 90% stolen 10% purchased (for certain apps). Lets pay people for their hard work. Typically apps are in the $0.99 to $4.99 range with the lower side being more the norm. Is it too much to ask to pay people for their hard work.

I get it that to some folks they feel limited and they want to hack the iPhone. I also see what has happened with the android OS and am glad I am in this walled garden, no virus protection needed, not much in the app store as far as stolen content or apps, malware or the like. Thanks, but no thanks, I'll keep my iPhone.

BTW: I am also a developer.

Do you realize there are developers in countries where the iPhone is not supported by any carriers? Meaning they have to jailbreak their phones just to unlock them to use them as a dev device. I was one of them. Eventually I broke down and spent the 1300 euros for OEM unlocked phones on the grey market.
  • Reply 153 of 163
    Quote:

I meant they couldn't suddenly prevent me from reading that which I have purchased, nor could they prevent me from on-selling it, donating it to a hospice, exchanging it at a 2nd hand bookstore and other such legitimate and legal uses.

On this we can agree.

• Reply 154 of 163
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aderutter View Post

Ha, ha. This is a good reason to not upgrade, just wait a while until this nonsense is sorted out.
  • Reply 155 of 163
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cinemagic View Post

You forgot choice 3 - re-jailbreak with Pwnage 4.2 which fixed the iBooks nonsense.

Or better yet, avoid the whole ebook thing for now. Music had restrictive DRM and that eventually went away.
  • Reply 156 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

The few thousand years of recorded human history where no copyright and patent protection exist, yet literature and scientific discovery were actively pursued, and competitive market existed seem to counter this argument.

And yet they are only now crawling out of the Stone Age thanks to the recent diminution of their regressive religious beliefs.
  • Reply 157 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I bought my iPhone from AT&T for $200

I pay my monthly AT&T bill of $113

I jailbreak my phone

Now, books I have purchased for ~$15 each are not viewable?

How is this not extortion? What I am doing (jailbreaking) is perfectly legal. What Apple has done, is denying me the ability to view a book I have legitimately paid for.

This is nothing short of extortion. Now, this will create a new effort by people to crack the DRM on iBooks; and when the DRM is broken on iBooks - this will create a new Book piracy industry that does not exist today.

As we used to say in grade school - "Nice move, Ex-lax"

Hey buddy, no problem just reinstall the iOS system and reauthorize the phone then you can read them all you like. Oh I guess you didn't read the terms of purchase when you brought the books huh?
  • Reply 158 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

The law allows jailbreaking. It may be that what Apple has done is against the law. Time will tell.

It looks like it is better to download a pirated copy of a book to view in iBooks rather than purchase the same title in the iBookstore.

The Law might allow jailbreaking your phone. You can smash it with a hammer too! Nothing illegal there but Apple does NOT have to play your game. The iBook's DRM was perfectly legal too when you agreed to it and made the purchase.
  • Reply 159 of 163
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by surfkw View Post

I have a jailbroken 3G iPhone. I paid my two years of service to AT&T and then moved out of the country. To continue to use my expensive iPhone I had to jailbreak it to unlock it and put another carriers SIM card in. Why should this be against Apple policy? Unless I want to toss my phone in a box and never use it this is the only way. Maybe Apple/AT&T should at least make an unlock code available once we have completed our contract. This just pisses me off every time it comes up.

BTW I have no pirated apps on my phone and there are quite a few other down here who have jailbroken/unlocked phones for the same reason and also do not pirate apps.

"we have completed our contract" yes you have completed your contract with AT&T but your still under contract with iBooks why can't you see that!

At least you can still use your phone. It's was too long ago you'd have to throw in a box with all the other Phone company's closed OSs.
  • Reply 160 of 163
    In a way this is kind of like a kill switch. I guess it is really not much different than software that does a version check on your OS and refuses to run if the OS version is not one that it supports. But the reasoning behind it is a little malicious. It's not like I screwed up my phone and it refuses to run apps which I could accept and don;t expect apple to fix it becuse i know it violated the warranty. It's kind of like GM going in my garage and removing the AC from my car because I put an aftermarket exhaust system on the car. Sure it may void my warranty but it did nothing to harm my AC system However, GM decided I should be punished and denied its use on my car.

I guess in apple's defense they could claim that people could use a jail broken phone to crack the DRM on eBooks and they are only protecting their content publisher's rights. But really, I think they waste a lot of time with these half-assed attempts to counter jailbreaks. Seriously, If you can't prevent the phone from being jail broken to begin with this kind of stuff is not going to work either.