NYT says Apple not working on smaller iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post

ios is already seriously fragmented with apple. Developers have had to rewrite their apps over and over again over time.

That's the most ridiculous FUD I've ever read. I have iPhone apps that haven't been updated in three years and still run perfectly well on my iPhone 4 (and on my iPad, in windowed mode).

Most newly released iOS games will still work on the three-year-old iPhone 3G, and if they don't it's only because they require graphics hardware features like shaders that didn't exist back then.

By comparison, many new Android games won't even run on half of current generation of devices, let alone previous or future handsets.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Apple doesn't worry so much about generating raw volume. Certainly if it can meet it's design goals and sell products in volume, great. But to make a product strictly because by doing so volume is achieved is not what Apple is all about.

The key to this company's success is that people hold the Apple brand in high regard. I don't think Apple sees much opportunity to stand out making a low-cost phone. As such, don't expect it to.

Keep in mind that with Jobs' health deteriorating, there is likely to be great concern with maintaining regard for the Apple brand because any diminishing of that name coinciding with Jobs perceived to be no longer in charge could be catastrophic for the company's share price. The perception has to be that if Jobs is no longer calling the shots - when that happens - Apple hasn't lost its mojo, so to speak.

Forget more volume. The iPhone is an unqualified success, selling in the millions. Building a low-cost phone would be roughly equivalent to Apple making a netbook.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    Munster should apply for the position of Apple CEO and Sacconaghi for CTO. I'm sure they would lead the company to a six-fold increase in iPhone sales.

But...nah...why would they settle for all that responsibility when they can run the company from their analyst's desk.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

If it's thinner, than it's smaller without reducing the screen size. The original reports never said 'smaller screen' and NYT reporting Apple is not working on a smaller screen iPhone doesn't mean that they aren't working on a thinner model with the same screen size.

And reducing the bezel to almost nothing will also reduce the size substantially.

Use last years parts, new super integrated functionality cheaper (but maybe better: say liquid metal) casing and the price will drop substantially too.

It could also be that the new iPhone uses the same bezel less design to increase the screen size.

J.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

Forget more volume. The iPhone is an unqualified success, selling in the millions. Building a low-cost phone would be roughly equivalent to Apple making a netbook.

Not if they do it right. Like they did with iPod nano etc.

J.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I'm pretty sure you have prediction number 7 correct.

Got that right.
  • Reply 27 of 29
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I just don't see the point of a smaller phone. Or a cheaper phone for that matter. Apple's never chased marketshare. Why would they start now?
  • Reply 28 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gigi View Post

I don't believe the New York Times, when the Wall Street journal say something about a future product from Apple they got 100% right for so many years in the past.

So we will have a smaller iPhone. Maybe only an iPod Phone, phone, iPod and mobile me in the cloud, that's it.

How many years did WSJ say that the Verizon iPhone was imminent.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    It was never going to happen. I can't believe how many people actually bought into this.