iPad 3 with Retina display, new device sized between iPad and iPod in Apple's pipeline

Comments

• Reply 101 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I predict it will be an Apple branded Television. It will have something revolutionary about it. If this Apple branded TV could successfully turn my living room into a room with 1 remote that would be a revolution, for me. Besides that, we'll see.

Think more: "connected TV", as opposed to "a computer with TV capabilities". It won't act or be marketed as a computer. The problem with TV is Apple likes their control, and they don't control TV content as they'd like to. If Apple had more control this would move forward a lot sooner. The TV experience sucks more than the mobile phone experience ever did.

We can wax-wishful all day about this TV, but that's not the point. The point is they will do something in the TV space some day, something more that little black box.

Sorry Ireland. No dice on Apple building an actual TV set. They already have an entry into the living room and it's called AppleTV. Apple is too smart to enter a product category that has been completely commoditized. TV sets are becoming dumb monitors and even the speakers will eventually disappear and go outboard since these monitors are getting thinner and audio quality is decreasing over time. It doesn't make sense to build AppleTV-type functionality inside the TV set itself. All of the smarts belong in an outboard box so that consumers won't have to update their TV with more powerful processors and features that require more than a firmware upgrade. Notice how they only offer one monitor on their online Store now. And that's just to support the Mac Pro models (Mac mini buyers probably buy cheap LCDs from other brands). It also makes it much easier to add it to an AV Receiver when it's an outboard box and not located in the TV.

Apple's plan is to make AppleTV an "everything" box that will ultimately replace all other boxes in your living room. We're still waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm guessing that will happen within the year when an App store for AppleTV goes online and then they light up the massive Cloud they are building in North Carolina which will enable streaming of all major TV channels, including live sports programming. Their goal is to replace your Cable/DirecTV box with AppleTV and ultimately offer a gaming platform alternative to XBox/Playstation similar to what Onlive is doing.
  • Reply 102 of 140
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Then there are textbooks and books and that have images and diagrams. I think I can say with certainty that most of them are considerably larger than the the iPad when opened, not to mention heavier.

I never mentioned text books. Yes, the iPad makes way more sense for those. Magazines, diagram books, etc, etc.

When I refer to 7" I talking an Apple iBook for reading iBooks. For reading "novels" the Kindle beats the iPad hands down, but even at that if it were 7" it would be far better. That's not to say the Kindle hardware isn't trash - it is. I'm talking strictly about 7" and e-ink, versus 10" and LCD. And I talking strictly books. In the true sense of the word. The iPad is too big to read books, and even more important - if you own a Kindle you'll understand this - it's far too heavy to read a book on.
  • Reply 103 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I agree. The current size of the iPad screen seems perfect for a personal information & content viewing device. Anything smaller should be marketed as a larger iPod Touch and shouldn't exceed 4" screen size.

If it's 4" it should simply be the new iPod touch.
  • Reply 104 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeff K-C View Post

The iPoad

Hahaha.
  • Reply 105 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Apple will get into the gaming business before they get into the TV business.

Apple are in the gaming business.
  • Reply 106 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post

Sorry Ireland. No dice on Apple building an actual TV set.

Don't be sorry. I believe you are wrong. Never is a long time. The writing is on the wall.
  • Reply 107 of 140
    Just a little anecdote. I was at a club and a group of thirty-something office ladies were dancing in their office clothes, looking out of place (I'm a regular there and had never seen them there before), giggling, and taking photos and browsing them on a Galaxy Tab while they were dancing. That thing was HUGE and they looked like ridiculous geeks who probably only went partying once or twice a year. Might just as well have been wearing pocket protectors. Anyhing larger than an Phone is something that only ever should be taken out on your sofa or during your commute on the bus or the train.
  • Reply 108 of 140
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:

Actually, although his post in general was good, the last line you quoted there was the reason I couldn't entirely get behind it.

Apple invented something, not what people didn't know they already wanted, but something that "made sense" as a product. There was a reason for the iPad existing. In fact, Steve told us those reasons during its announcement. Consumers bought it in droves because the iPad is a great and useful product that serves many purposes in a slim package, not because they were listened to.

Yes apple did invent something. Because they understand what the average consumer needed. They created a device they knew would be wanted. I stand by my statement.
  • Reply 109 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mynameisjoe View Post

You're making predictions on the iPad 3 already. It's release is so far off I wouldn't trust this story if your source was Steve Jobs himself.

Yeah, but then this website would get a lot less clicks if they didn't continue to spew stupid rumors like this. Just read through the comments to see how many people actually are believing the rumors. Pretty sad.
  • Reply 110 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yes apple did invent something. Because they understand what the average consumer needed. They created a device they knew would be wanted. I stand by my statement.

That's not listening to the customer. That's knowing. It's instinct, creativity, knowledge, skill and a series of good choices.

The rest of your comment is good, though.
  • Reply 111 of 140
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    If it was reasonably priced, I'd buy a 5' touch in an instant. I always wanted a slightly larger screen for more comfortable reading, and having the interface unmodified would be completely fine, due to the already ultra-high dpi. It would even make touch typing that much easier due to the bigger keys. Would also make an even better gaming canvas, since your fingers would block a smaller percentage of the action.
  • Reply 112 of 140
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Work huh, just what the hell are all the unemployed supposed to do all day! jeez

Uh, not spend your money on expensive things like and iPoad...that would be the smart thing to do if you didn't have a job.
  • Reply 113 of 140
    Wow, a 5"-7" touch device that runs a phone/ipod-like OS instead of a tablet OS. Kind of like the Dell Streak or the Galaxy Tab. What amazing innovation!
  • Reply 114 of 140
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Call bs on a six inch device. Cause if apple were to ship one it would have to come with a knife to shave down your fingertips.

Oh, absolutely. No one would EVER have a portable, handheld device that was smaller than 6".

Just ignore all those tens of millions of smart phones out there. No one uses iPhones. They're all still in their original boxes. All the smartphones that are in use are obviously controlled by mind-control.

Sheesh. Look, no one here has any idea what's going on and most of the posters are incredibly uninformed and lack even a trace of the vision and skill that Apple offers. What's the point of arguing about what's going to be in the next Apple product. NONE OF YOU KNOWS.
  • Reply 115 of 140
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:

I disagree. I believe the iPad came out as 10" because, for Apple, in their research they found 10" to work the best as a screen you hold in your hands for general computing. As a sole-function book reader 7" is a better size. The 6" Kindle is too small, I own one. 7" would be better. As a tablet computer 10" is where it's at.

Why do you think Samsung lately have announced the 10.1 Tab. It's sort of like a tennis racket, they all eventually settle on a size the works the best.

But you have to keep in mind two things:

1. Apple doesn't do market research. They create their designs based on what their in-house engineers, designers, and especially Steve, think is best.

2. They are not always right. For example, the foolish notion that they could take all of the buttons off the shuffle and it would sell. Or go a little further back to the fat nano or the hockey puck mouse. And I predict the current nano will fall into that same category of design mistakes.

Obviously, the iPad isn't a failure like those devices were. But that doesn't mean it's the perfect, one-size-fits-all device. Apple's first PowerBook G4 was the 15" model. And later they added the 13" and the 17", but the 15" remained the top seller. If you were going to make only a single sized tablet, then yes, the current 9.7" screen is probably optimal. But that doesn't mean it's the only good size. It's the best single size if you are only going to make one.

You can count me in the camp who think the current iPad is too big for my preferred size. And I find the iPod touch too small because Apple let the iPhone dictate the touch's screen size. They needed the screen small enough to make phone, and until they knew how successful it would be it made sense to make the touch the same size.

But now they sell enough of each that each can stand on it's own merits to justify differentiating the designs. A slightly bigger iPod with the same resolution as the iPhone makes perfect sense. Shrinking down the iPad is a bit more difficult due to the UI. But I think Apple could make the screen slightly smaller, with the same resolution, and still have a good UI.
  • Reply 116 of 140
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Apple are in the gaming business.

Not quite yet
  • Reply 117 of 140
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

What did I tell you.

I knew that Steve would eat his own words claiming DOA when the Galaxy Tab launched with the 7" screen. It's purpose was to rain on Samsung's parade to quell Apple's competition by putting the words "DOA" into journalists hands.

He obviously saw Samsung as a threat ( and they should be).

Now look at Apple now, eating its own words.

I always find these posts hilarious, as if we're in some alternate reality where Apple has announced this, instead of just rumors. You sound quite foolish, congratulating yourself and stating that Apple is 'eating its own words' based on nothing but unsubstantiated rumors, like the other 50 rumors we got this week. What stupidity.
  • Reply 118 of 140
    Quote:

there Is a new gaming gadget coming

EH?! You can put random words together all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that I have no idea what you're claiming here.

Quote:

a major unexpected software update.

But you expect it. Heck, you've known about it forever. Which one are you talking about? We have a bunch of "major" software updates coming up soon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Uh, not spend your money on expensive things like and iPoad...that would be the smart thing to do if you didn't have a job.

The problem is that this sentence contains a concept that cannot be translated into the culture of the United States.

It's like the German word for their sense of humor; Americans just cannot understand the meaning behind the words of that sentence.
  • Reply 119 of 140
    Quote:

Not quite yet

You're like those analysts.
  • Reply 120 of 140
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

But you have to keep in mind two things:

1. Apple doesn't do market research.

I never said, quote: "market research". I said research. As in, R&D.