iPad External Backup Batteries

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Forgive me folks if this is a previously covered topic. I tried the search option and returned nothing relevant.

In order to use the iPad at my job, I am required to have an external backup battery. There are no techical requirements for the battery specified anywhere.

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts, experience or advice on external batteries for the iPad? Since it is only a backup that should probably never be utilitzed, I'd be most interested in a cost effective solution over best-in-class performance.

Thanks you in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Sadly, Apple doesn't believe that its customers should have the ability to remove or replace the batteries of the devices they purchased and are supposed to legally own. Thus, there are no backup batteries for the iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

Sadly, Apple doesn't believe that its customers should have the ability to remove or replace the batteries of the devices they purchased and are supposed to legally own. Thus, there are no backup batteries for the iPad.

Quit spouting crap. Open your iPad and replace the battery if you want to. Don't expect warranty afterwards; it's pretty simple.

It's the same as complaining about no warranty after installing a gas tank you put in your car yourself.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Look for iPhone backup batteries.

The ones built into a case won't work, but find one that just plugs into the dock connector... It should power the iPad just fine.

I'd guess it would provide an hour or so of use since the larger screen will use noticeably more power than a phone... But just speculating on that.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quit spouting crap. Open your iPad and replace the battery if you want to. Don't expect warranty afterwards; it's pretty simple.

It's the same as complaining about no warranty after installing a gas tank you put in your car yourself.

That's a really bad analogy. Please be a little smarter when you post, you might confuse people and make them understand things poorly.

Replacing a car's gas tank would take like an hour and require numerous tools and equipment to do so. Replacing a battery requires just your hands and about five seconds. At least, that's how it is with nearly all non-Apple devices.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Voight-Kampff View Post

That's a really bad analogy. Please be a little smarter when you post, you might confuse people and make them understand things poorly.

Replacing a car's gas tank would take like an hour and require numerous tools and equipment to do so. Replacing a battery requires just your hands and about five seconds. At least, that's how it is with nearly all non-Apple devices.

You can get into an iPad and replace the battery in five seconds?

Oh, no? So... it's more like replacing a car's gas tank, then. Now tell me what, exactly, was wrong with my analogy, given that it takes about that amount of time and requires numerous tools and equipment to replace an iPad's battery.

Or just try to worm your way out of it, given that you have no argument.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FL410 View Post

Forgive me folks if this is a previously covered topic. I tried the search option and returned nothing relevant.

In order to use the iPad at my job, I am required to have an external backup battery. There are no techical requirements for the battery specified anywhere.

I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts, experience or advice on external batteries for the iPad? Since it is only a backup that should probably never be utilitzed, I'd be most interested in a cost effective solution over best-in-class performance.

Thanks you in advance.

HyperMac offers several battery options.

http://www.hypershop.com/HyperMac-Ex...e-USB-s/91.htm

Joos also offers a backup battery with a solar panel:

http://www.solarjoos.com/