Apple to celebrate Steve Jobs' birthday with release of new MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Can you prove that statement? No matter what he has accomplished Jobs is a highly narcissistic person with excessive control issues. Wait until his birthday to release new products...oh my!

This is the perfect opportunity for someone to explain to me why Jobs is considered such a bad person. The guy is one of the more low-key billionaires in the world. He likes to micromanage, but that's hardly a crime. By all accounts he appears to be intensely private and family-oriented, which doesn't point to a big ego. What did he ever do that's so, so bad?
  • Reply 22 of 99
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Will there be an event, or is this going to be a "silent" upgrade?

It's not that big of a deal, it's just catching up with a long overdue improvement.

They'll be MacBook Air style, SSDs, and Sandy Bridge. Great, needed, but nothing to stop the presses for.
  • Reply 23 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

This is the perfect opportunity for someone to explain to me why Jobs is considered such a bad person. The guy is one of the more low-key billionaires in the world. He likes to micromanage, but that's hardly a crime. By all accounts he appears to be intensely private and family-oriented, which doesn't point to a big ego. What did he ever do that's so, so bad?

Stop replying to losers. In case you are having a tough time figuring out, here the list:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Can't wait, but it also gives an indication of how big the guy's ego is.

Quote:

Can you prove that statement? No matter what he has accomplished Jobs is a highly narcissistic person with excessive control issues. Wait until his birthday to release new products...oh my!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Will there be an event, or is this going to be a "silent" upgrade?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I agree completely. How arrogant of him to have a product release coincide with the new processors, chipsets, and bi-annual update cycle they've been using for the last four years.

The rolleyes is implied.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vandil View Post

I wonder if they're doing this in case it's his last birthday.

• Reply 24 of 99
    Quote:

I like Steve for his innovation and showmanship just as much as the next guy, but he is far from a "good" guy. Watch the made-for-tv-movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley." While thats by no means an official biography/historically accurate tale of everything that happened with Apple/Steve, you'll get bits and pieces of what it has been like to deal with him over the past 30+ years.

The picture I've gotten (both from that movie and other accounts) is of an extremely selfish, uncompromising, and abrasive individual.

All this being said, I'll be waiting cash in hand for a new MBP!
  • Reply 25 of 99
    Quote:

I agree completely. How arrogant of him to have a product release coincide with the new processors, chipsets, and bi-annual update cycle they've been using for the last four years.

The rolleyes is implied.

Or it could have been the rest of Apple and SJ accepted.

...or it could be a big damned coincidence.

Oh, wait! Sarcasm in teh interwebs!
  • Reply 26 of 99
    Quote:

The problem I have here is, "By all accounts,"

What accounts are these, exactly? Do you know him personally? Because from what I can see, the guy is very strange to say the least. Yea he has good vision for great products (which we all know are actually created by entirely different people) but someone is his position is likely a part of the billionaires club of the world, which is entirely compromised of people who spend all day trying to rape the natural world and all of humanity.

I really don't know about Jobs, but I do know that anyone who thinks Al Gore is anything but a criminal and a con artist, is either an idiot, or on board with the scam.
  • Reply 27 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Stop replying to losers. In case you are having a tough time figuring out, here the list:

You are by far not one to make this statement.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    With these MBP updates looking to be more than just speed bumps and Steven P. Jobs still the acting CEO of Apple despite his work from home schedule, is it possible we could have a media event for these new machines from within cupertino streamed live to the world? They’ve done the internal recording before and it’s not like having the media there is necessary as they will pick up any story about Apple like it’s the last cookie at fat camp.
  • Reply 29 of 99
    My old tune was that I didn't think there would be any major changes to an Apple product without an event. With something complex in need of justification (like a new metal for a casing, or some sort of new form factor) I felt as though Apple would be obliged to have an on-stage explanation. After thinking about this a little more, I think Apple should probably just stay away from live events altogether. I haven't seen anyone as engaging on stage as Steve Jobs (unless Tim Cook would take over from the product side of presentations) and I actually think that the videos on Apple.com serve the same purpose. Plus, with the videos they can include all the graphics and diagrams and uplifting music without any embarrassing technical difficulties. The pacing is actually better in the videos and they can be really slick.

Scott Forstall and Phil Schiller are doing their best, and in any other company they'd be presentation superstars, but Steve Jobs, in his absence, may as well be a yeti with the shoes he has left to fill.

Oh, and a huge Happy Birthday to Mr. Jobs. Here's hoping any medical problems are behind you and you actually take a few days off to just relax with your new Macbook pro. Cheers!
  • Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Black107 View Post

I like Steve for his innovation and showmanship just as much as the next guy, but he is far from a "good" guy. Watch the made-for-tv-movie "Pirates of Silicon Valley." While thats by no means an official biography/historically accurate tale of everything that happened with Apple/Steve, you'll get bits and pieces of what it has been like to deal with him over the past 30+ years.

The picture I've gotten (both from that movie and other accounts) is of an extremely selfish, uncompromising, and abrasive individual.

All this being said, I'll be waiting cash in hand for a new MBP!

Great. As long as we have great products from Apple that we are happy to own, that is what matters.
  • Reply 31 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What accounts are these, exactly? Do you know him personally? Because from what I can see, the guy is very strange to say the least. Yea he has good vision for great products (which we all know are actually created by entirely different people) but someone is his position is likely a part of the billionaires club of the world, which is entirely compromised of people who spend all day trying to rape the natural world and all of humanity.

I really don't know about Jobs, but I do know that anyone who thinks Al Gore is anything but a criminal and a con artist, is either an idiot, or on board with the scam.

I am with you on Al Gore. He thinks all americans are stupid to believe his global warming/carbon footprint scam.
  • Reply 32 of 99
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    You bring joy to all of us through your products. We wish you a happy early birthday, and many more years for you. Thanks.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    Hey Steve! In case your haven't yet peaked your BD present, a hope one is a Quad-Core i7 MBP that shuts off 2 cores when off utility power so we, oops, you can eat our cake and have it too.
  • Reply 34 of 99
    An addition to the list:

Quote:

Quote:

You are by far not one to make this statement.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

I am with you on Al Gore. He thinks all americans are stupid to believe his global warming/carbon footprint scam.

• Reply 35 of 99
    Quote:

You're full of crap. Then again you've never worked for the guy and his companies, plural.

I have twice. He's a perfectionist and drives that from top to bottom, but values even the lowly receptionist like no other company I've ever seen.

He was paying a high school senior back in '96 $20/hr to answer the phone at the front receptionist spot, while at NeXT. That girl coveted that job.

He will never be called a tight wad, by his staff. The man pays exceptionally well and expects quality in return.

You don't like it then go work for Microsoft.
  • Reply 36 of 99
    Quote:

The rolleyes is implied.

Roll eyes right back at you.

If they had released it on Tuesday, as usual, I wouldn't have made the comment. Get over yourself.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You're full of crap. Then again you've never worked for the guy and his companies, plural.

I have twice. He's a perfectionist and drives that from top to bottom, but values even the lowly receptionist like no other company I've ever seen.

He was paying a high school senior back in '96 $20/hr to answer the phone at the front receptionist spot, while at NeXT. That girl coveted that job.

He will never be called a tight wad, by his staff. The man pays exceptionally well and expects quality in return.

Bite me.
  • Reply 38 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I wouldn?t bother. Jobs very well be narcissistic and a bunch of pejorative psychological designation but lamewing?s rants are all his own shortcomings when looking at those that exceed his feeble nature.

The Mac OS X?s dictionary states, self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.?

Sounds to me like lamewing is the narcissistic one and this is all sour grapes. Funny thing is I bet lamewing would suckle Jobs? grapes if he ever had the chance.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Quote:

If they had released it on Tuesday, as usual, I wouldn't have made the comment. Get over yourself.

It’s interesting how you ignore that NOT ALL PRODUCTS ARE RELEASED ON A TUESDAY and that during a week with US holiday on a Monday products have historically been released on Wednesday or Thursday for obvious reasons.

Even the last Apple Special Event was held on a Wednesday: http://www.macrumors.com/2010/10/20/...flash-storage/

What you might do:

Claim that Steve is so narcissistic that he has two or more birthdays in a year and that October 20th is another of his birthdays. But that could get you a fastt rack back to your old meds if your caretakes catch you talking like that.

What you would have done (at least until I wrote this):

Claim that Wednesday is not Thursday even though your entire line of reasoning is predicated on the fact that it should be on a Tuesday.

What you should do but never will do:

Apologize for getting worked up and jacking the thread with your vitriol, and acknowledge that Apple releases new HW products pretty much every day of the week but the weekend. As well as acknowledge in no certain order that this week does contain a national holiday which has moved announcements in the past, there are plenty of new products coming out right about now that Apple can finally capitalize on for their notebooks, that Steve’s “narcissism" hasn’t led to Apple products being forced released on his birthday in the past, and that Steve has a birthday once a year and Apple releases products many times a year so that it’s possible they could coincide at some point.

That’s just sanity speaking… I’m sure you have a vastly different take.
  • Reply 40 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

He's accomplished more in one lifetime than you would in a thousand. Now, tell me more about "HIS" ego problems.

Really? Did he come up with a cure for some awful illness when I wasn't looking or is he still just a CEO of a tech company?

Dude get a life.