Apple's new Joint Venture small business support plan coming on iPad day

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

"Come and see what 2011 will be the year of"

Groan. So sad to see yet another example of dreadful English grammar exhibited by Apple marketing. Is it part of their mission statement to trash the language? Perhaps they're doing it just to get attention? I wonder how many people are refusing to buy Apple products because of the way Apple are so disrespectful to the language? Probably very, very few. ;-)

I wonder whether the grammar of Apple advertising is just as dire in the other languages in which they advertise?

Quote:

Yes, the only thing worse than bad grammar is pedantry when it's mistaken.

I'm also reminded that, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." The point of language is to communicate. Grammar is an important part of that, especially when one is learning a language. However, fluency having been achieved, one need not view grammar as a straitjacket, and, when it serves to break the "rules", one may feel free to.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Never ever read into Apple event invitations or colored-dot posters. Wait for event to happen. Watch event. Form an opinion.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Did Apple just become a Microsoft reseller???
  • Reply 24 of 37
    Quote:

Thanks but this sentence of her's just grates on my nerves:

Quote:

Obviously these are not the same verbs, and equally obviously the words that look like familiar prepositions are actually a part of each of the last two verbs.

• Reply 25 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

I'm not worried about the competition there, I provide Mac Support for small businesses and know at that price point, they aren't providing a solution, I doubt they'll even touch a mixed environment. They'll set up basic file sharing, internet connectivity and printing likely. I deal with VMware servers, Citrix, VPN tunnels...etc. When they say small business they are talking about one or two guys with 5 computers.

The article doesn't specify what the $500 refers to. It could be per year, or per client, or per Mac. The first time I read it, I assumed it meant $500 Million. Guess we'll find out for sure on Wednesday.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

We see more and more accountants going Mac. With everything rushing to the cloud, this has become easier and requires less software such as Parallels to make it work.

Even with cloud and web based apps, you may still have to deal with browser specific issues, such as when the developer only supports Windows Internet Explorer.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Why would Apple do this? 500 dollars a year? people are not going to march their computers from their office into the apple store, this is going to be for the rather tech savvy person who runs their own business. I support a lot of small businesses being an IT consultant, most of those people are not allowed to take their computer out of their office at all. This seems like a very lame attempt at this, if Apple really wants to handle business support they need a consultant wing of the company that goes out and actually helps businesses with their needs onsite, they need to get an email infrastructure setup that is in the cloud that is business oriented like google apps and they need to give advice to that company on the best ways to implement computers and other technologies in the company, the way this is coming out just sounds like a first in line approach at the genius bar which works great for individuals but not for companies. They need someone to come out to their location quickly and solve the issue for them so they can continue to work. I actually do wish Apple would get their enterprise stuff in line because I think they are at a place that they could actually make huge inroads into the corporate environment but they never do it correctly. The iphone and ipad plus the issues that most companies have with windows have made more and more of my clients switch to Macs, iphones, and ipads and if Apple played their cards right they could crush the corporate world, but they keep doing things like this and ending the Xserve which is the incorrect thing to do in my opinion. Also whats with this setup and configure exchange, that will take two seconds in Apple Mail and the user would have to bring in all their exchange information into the store with them so it seems odd to offer this, plus the fact that exchange is old news and most people are moving these services to the cloud with google apps, especially small business. Apple is great at creating products but when it comes to the business world they really need some help.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Thanks but this sentence of her's just grates on my nerves:

Quote:

Obviously these are not the same verbs, and equally obviously the words that look like familiar prepositions are actually a part of each of the last two verbs.

What if we rewrite it like this:

Quote:

These obviously are not the same verbs, and the words that look like familiar prepositions equally obviously are actually a part of each of the last two verbs.

No? How about this:

Quote:

These are obviously not the same verbs, and the words that look like familiar prepositions are equally obviously actually a part of each of the last two verbs.

Equally obviously grating?

Grammar, can't live with it, can't live without it.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ePrankfort View Post

Who said anything about the enterprise? Apple is and always has been a company that focuses on small businesses. THAT is why their rackmounts failed. Apple never really cared about enterprise to begin with. It's not a company that is interested in the kind of legacy support enterprise demands. Far too forward looking.

Did you really register to post that garbage? Seriously? Trying to prove me wrong but instead only reinforcing my point?
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DOSbox-gamer View Post

The article doesn't specify what the $500 refers to. It could be per year, or per client, or per Mac. The first time I read it, I assumed it meant $500 Million. Guess we'll find out for sure on Wednesday.

$500 a year for up to 5 computers, each additional computer is $99. That is pretty much what it says.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What would really bring in small businesses is E-Mail. That is Apple needs a dot Mac service more oriented towards business users. For businesses greater than one or two Apple should provide business accounts much like Google does, that is [email protected] addresses. Many small businesses would rather have a local contact to handle this for them. This would keep everything on the Apple infrastructure which is very suitable for business. The new data center could easily handle this.

I know this may sound silly to some but E-Mail is a big deal for a modern business but it also can be a big distraction. In any event I'm not sure the current leaked info is enough to bring in small business, especially at the listed price. Of course there is likely plenty that hasn't been leaked yet so that is another consideration. At the moment though it doesn't look all that compelling, guess we find out for sure on the 2nd.

I agree with this. I have specific emails with all my hosted sites but the email service is not as good as that of Google, Yahoo, etc. So, I do not use them.

If Apple can offer an almost "spam free" email service, that would even be more plus.

As to service. The "Joint Venture" is good but let's face it, Apple Stores, as popular as they are, they are mostly in larger cities, even in the US. Apple should cultivate rather than ignore/compete with independent service providers or even with Best Buy offer technical support to Apple products users -- to reach more individuals and business enterprises where there is no Apple Store.

CGC
  • Reply 32 of 37
    grammar pedants, language, and stephen fry

Grammar?

"2011, the year of _______"

What's incorrect with that?

And, even if it's grammatically incorrect, it's catchy... which is what advertising is all about. Remember:

"Think different."

I am sure you will find error in it, too.

It was an ad that gave Apple an edge, in terms of distinguishing itself from all the rest.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pembroke View Post

"Come and see what 2011 will be the year of"

Groan. So sad to see yet another example of dreadful English grammar exhibited by Apple marketing. Is it part of their mission statement to trash the language? Perhaps they're doing it just to get attention? I wonder how many people are refusing to buy Apple products because of the way Apple are so disrespectful to the language? Probably very, very few. ;-)

I wonder whether the grammar of Apple advertising is just as dire in the other languages in which they advertise?

Obviously, you lack imagination and do not even grasp or not even aware of what is "artistic license". But, definitely, you do not understand catchy advertising... especially advertising that resonate to the more polyethnic American culture.

Don't expect any call from the Ad agency of Apple.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yes, the only thing worse than bad grammar is pedantry when it's mistaken.

I'm also reminded that, "a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." The point of language is to communicate. Grammar is an important part of that, especially when one is learning a language. However, fluency having been achieved, one need not view grammar as a straitjacket, and, when it serves to break the "rules", one may feel free to.

(S)he would be one of those who would find "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain to be full of errors, if (s)he ever heard of it.

CGC
  • Reply 33 of 37
    modemode Posts: 163member
    The title of the article is misleading.

I thought it was a plan to help small business - not suck another $500 out of them.

Guess I was remembering back to when Apple Reps used to host seminars for the exchange of idea's, offer some new tools, help troubleshoot common issue's. They were always a great pow-wow. Great way to network with developers, users, support, designers...

It helped build and solidify the 'Apple' community.

\ those were the days.

From my experience, the majority of problems that people have is with 3rd party software and not the mac platform (outside of networking).

I like the replacement idea thou. However, for $1500 (3 years with Applecare), one could buy a new 2nd machine.

I don't see this 'venture' being all that successful. The great thing about Mac's is that they don't require a lot of support.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    How about a decent accounting package?
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

(S)he would be one of those who would find "Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain to be full of errors, if (s)he ever heard of it.

A rather bizarre analogy, for reasons I'm sure you well understand.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cgc0202 View Post

"Think different."

That one is actually grammatically correct. It's not that one is to think differently, but to think 'different' -- not how to think, but what to think.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    adahoadaho Posts: 1member
    What a great move by Apple to encourage more small businesses to go with Mac products. The move also suggests that they will see a synergy between businesses buying Macbooks and purchasing mobile products, like the iPad and iPhone.

Creating this built-in support will encourage more businesses to consider a fleet of Macs, especially if they already see their employees with the iPhones and iPads. Managing these devices will assure they stay safe and secure. But now Apple has created a way to rent out IT technical support from the manufacturer itself. Not a bad move at all.

Ada, Absolute Software

http://blog.absolute.com