Apple's MacBook Pros ship with active SSD TRIM support in Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKZ View Post

That's definitely the dumbest thing I've ever read on this site. Maybe even the internet. Wow. I sincerely hope you forgot the sarcasm tag.

Pretty sure you won't have to buy an Apple provided SSD to have TRIM. It would be powerfully stupid for Apple to make that move. I just don't see it happening.

To the 2nd part, it's appearing so far that non-Apple BTO SSDs that do support TRIM in other OSs aren't showing up with TRIM supported in these OS X builds. To prevent getting post deleted again I won't use the L-word.
  • Reply 22 of 65
    funkyp56funkyp56 Posts: 36member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

To the 2nd part, it's appearing so far that non-Apple BTO SSDs that do support TRIM in other OSs aren't showing up with TRIM supported in these OS X builds. To prevent getting post deleted again I won't use the L-word.

Im sure if you just kept on the subject at hand, that wouldn't happen.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by funkyp56 View Post

Im sure if you just kept on the subject at hand, that wouldn't happen.

Let's see - I replied to a poster who mentioned that he was running that same build with a non-Apple SSD and TRIM didn't work by adding more information.

Bucking for moderator or one of those editor slots they've opened up? How did you add ANYTHING on topic?

Pot. . . meet kettle. k thx
  • Reply 24 of 65
    sailorpaulsailorpaul Posts: 322member
    Quote:

....To prevent getting post deleted again I won't use the L-word.

Lesbians? Lima? (phonetic alphabet) Lazy? (referring to other posters)
  • Reply 25 of 65
    serifserif Posts: 3member
    I wonder if TRIM support will be extended to the Apple supplied BTO option in my recently purchased iMac.

APPLE SSD TS256B:

Capacityt251 GB (251,000,193,024 bytes)

ModeltAPPLE SSD TS256B

RevisiontAGAA0206
  • Reply 26 of 65
    maltzmaltz Posts: 459member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archos View Post

Drives that support TRIM (all SSDs) already show up in Snow Leopard as "TRIM Support: No," so this this something new.

Not all SSDs support TRIM, but most released within the past 12-18 months do.

Still, that is correct even for drives that do support it.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    macosxpmacosxp Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fyrefly View Post

Worse, I have an Apple SSD equipped 2009-era 13" MBP and am running the OSX Lion Beta on it, and no TRIM support mentioned. What gives?

I wonder if you Boot Camp Windows 7 if Windows has TRIM support.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    zoolookzoolook Posts: 657member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i bet this is a more elegant implementation than the one windows 7 has had since release

Elegant in that you'll have to buy a brand new MBP to use it?
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

Windows 7 has it by default. Most SSDs have had TRIM support for at least two years. Seems like my $1200 drive doesn't...

APPLE SSD TS512B:

Capacityt500.28 GB (500,277,790,720 bytes)

ModeltAPPLE SSD TS512B

RevisiontAGAA0206

Serial Numbert 80AM10ADM4QZ

Native Command QueuingtNo

Removable MediatNo

Detachable DrivetNo

BSD Nametdisk0

Medium TypetSolid State

TRIM SupporttNo

Partition Map TypetGPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. statustVerified
  • Reply 30 of 65
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,515member
    First of all, this isn't news any more, as we've known this for some time.

Secondly, until 10.7 comes out this summer, trim only supports the Toshiba SSD's Apple installs, though it may work with other drives using the same model Toshiba controller.

Apple has had partial trim support for some time, but it was only for third party testing purposes. Trim is such a basic OS level system that it must work perfectly, or not at all. Apple is conservative about such things, and using it only with drives they support for now, makes sense.

But, if you buy a drive with a Sandforce, or similar controller, trim support is much less of an issue.
  • Reply 31 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Elegant in that you'll have to buy a brand new MBP to use it?

You shouldn't have to, as this is an OS attribute. When 10.7 comes out, most machines should be able to take advantage of it.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Windows 7 has it by default. Most SSDs have had TRIM support for at least two years. Seems like my $1200 drive doesn't...

APPLE SSD TS512B:

Capacityt500.28 GB (500,277,790,720 bytes)

ModeltAPPLE SSD TS512B

RevisiontAGAA0206

Serial Numbert 80AM10ADM4QZ

Native Command QueuingtNo

Removable MediatNo

Detachable DrivetNo

BSD Nametdisk0

Medium TypetSolid State

TRIM SupporttNo

Partition Map TypetGPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. statustVerified

Many SSDs didn't come with it but it was added with firmware updates. Hoping if Apple's older SSDs are capable with firmware, that it'll get done.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    Quote:

Many SSDs didn't come with it but it was added with firmware updates. Hoping if Apple's older SSDs are capable with firmware, that it'll get done.

I hope so!
  • Reply 34 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macosxp View Post

I suppose booting Windows in Boot Camp would give Windows direct hardware control and that TRIM would work on a recent-vintage installed SSD, whether or not from Toshiba. Using a Windows guest OS in a virtual machine would not enable TRIM, however, as hardware calls from the guest are mediated through the virtualization hypervisor, and the OSX host, at least according to what folks are saying here re the current downloadable build of 10.6.6, does not support TRIM.

All of this is interesting for someone considering buying a BTO MBP with base-config HDD, swapping out the hard drive and substituting an SSD with higher performance and at lower cost than Apple's Toshiba SSD. I wouldn't do it yet.

And as for Toshiba, Apple seems married to their SSDs.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    gxcadgxcad Posts: 120member
    Quote:

LAME ...is the encoder I use for my mp3s. Sorry for being so off topic.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,144member
    For Apple picked SSD's, or for any SSD?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

i bet this is a more elegant implementation than the one windows 7 has had since release

Err, how much more elegant can you get than a command that runs when idle by default?
  • Reply 37 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Futurist View Post

I suppose booting Windows in Boot Camp would give Windows direct hardware control and that TRIM would work on a recent-vintage installed SSD, whether or not from Toshiba. Using a Windows guest OS in a virtual machine would not enable TRIM, however, as hardware calls from the guest are mediated through the virtualization hypervisor, and the OSX host, at least according to what folks are saying here re the current downloadable build of 10.6.6, does not support TRIM.

All of this is interesting for someone considering buying a BTO MBP with base-config HDD, swapping out the hard drive and substituting an SSD with higher performance and at lower cost than Apple's Toshiba SSD. I wouldn't do it yet.

And as for Toshiba, Apple seems married to their SSDs.

They used Samsung SSD's for two years first. Toshiba has a very aggressive controller which gives much better performance, but may lead to shorter drive life.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    I've been using an Intel X25 G2 in mine for nearly a year now, and even without trim, there is minimal slowdown with normal usage. Only if you're OCD and perform benchmarks every day you would notice smaller numbers under write speeds over time.

But I do hope they support third party drives, Apple's SSDs are way overpriced and often much slower.
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

For Apple picked SSD's, or for any SSD?

Err, how much more elegant can you get than a command that runs when idle by default?

Ah, very good question sir!

There is a teeny problem with trim as it's now implemented. If you RAID two or more SSD's together, TRIM DOESN'T WORK!

How about that? Turns out that it can't understand two or more SSD's together. If Apple could solve that problem, their trim support would be more "elegant".
  • Reply 40 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RKpro View Post

I've been using an Intel X25 G2 in mine for nearly a year now, and even without trim, there is minimal slowdown with normal usage. Only if you're OCD and perform benchmarks every day you would notice smaller numbers under write speeds over time.

But I do hope they support third party drives, Apple's SSDs are way overpriced and often much slower.

Apple's current SSD's are not overpriced, and they're pretty fast.