AT&T to support Personal Hotspot in iOS 4.3, adds iPad postpaid data option

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I envy those who will get this function. Softbank in Japan will not support personal hotspot, so I have to continue carrying my little wifi-3g device around.

Apple's homepage prominently displays the function as on the US page, suggests downloading 4.3 for you iPhone and then includes in the description a statement that it will not be available in Japan. Why not just not mention it? Arrgh.

Hard to believe there could be a telcomm that could hold their customers in more of a state of contempt than the US carriers... Is there no competition to Softbank?
  • Reply 62 of 63
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Hard to believe there could be a telcomm that could hold their customers in more of a state of contempt than the US carriers... Is there no competition to Softbank?

SB is the only carrier for the iPhone. They are actually the importer for the iPhone and the iPad, even the Wi-Fi only models, so they are getting a few pennies off every sale, regardless of whether the customer signs up for a contract or not. So, it's a win-win situation for them.

SB is also notorious for not informing their retail shops of pricing and plans, so I doubt I'll know much for another two weeks, or just before the launch here. Last year, the price for the iPad fluctuated the day before the launch with at least three different prices being sent out before one was settled on (at one point even SB's homepage listed two completely different price lists on different pages), despite SB having had several weeks to prep. It was a mess and I expect this year will be no different. I hope to be surprised.

BTW Apple's homepage has the exact same description of the personal hotspot feature as other countries...makes you drool for the feature... just with the last sentence saying the feature is unavailable here (and some other countries to make us feel better). Incredible.
  • Reply 63 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by therealestmc View Post

While y'all sitting complaining about paying for tethering, I am my surfing using mywi on my jailbroken iPhone.

Back in the day I'd have been the first to jailbreak. But I've been using the iphone for 2.5 yrs now and frankly I've gotten used to how little I have to futz around with it. IF, and thats a big if, I were to jailbreak is it a hassle? I hear tell of crashes, buggy apps etc. I fear getting into a quagmire of not being able to install regular apps, use itunes easily, getting caught with a brick 'cause "I can't reboot and jailbreak again right now", etc. I find the idea of being able to fully utilize the hardware I've paid for unencumbered by the marketing-based restrictions of AT&T and Apple really taking hold. But I've got these reservations...