HELP on Canon DSLR HD video on iPad 2

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Hey all.

I have a Canon DSLR that records 1080p HD video at 24, 25 & 30 fps and 720p HD video at 50 & 60 fps.

I have an iPad first generation with a ipad cam kit for transferring video and photos. It transfers photos just fine, but with video, it can't transfer full 1080p clips at all directly from the camera using the USB cam kit connector or via SD card using that adaptor. Nor will it transfer 720p clips using the cam kit unless the clips are not more than 30 fps. Since the canon t3i dslr shoots 720p video at 60 fps, the video is not viewable unless I first transfer it thru my iMac at home and THEN load it on the iPad.

Since I travel a lot, this is not convenient for me.

I want to be able to transfer my HD movies directly onto my iPad while on the road and edit them and then upload them to my travel blog or YouTube.

Also, The first gen iPad cannot run the new iMovie app. Only the new iPad 2 can. So I was thinking of upgrading to the iPad 2.....

HOWEVER...I want to know if I will have the same problem trying to transfer my HD video directly from my canon t3i DSLR via the cam kit while on the road so that I can view and edit the clips on my iPad 2?

I know getting the MacBook air is an option, but I prefer traveling with the iPad. I just want to know if any video/photographers who have the new iPad 2 and canon dslr can answer my questions.

Thanks so much.

Cheers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    It's listed on the spec page for the iPad 2:

"Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats"

This was the same limit for the iPad 1 so I reckon it won't accept the videos. I don't know why the camera manufacturers are so rigid with their format options. 720p30 has got to be one of the most common formats used by anyone and yet they don't let you shoot it. But 640x480 @ 30 FPS is fine on the T3i and 720p30 was ok on the T1i. Guess they didn't weigh iPads into the mix.

It's such a shame they don't support 720p30 on the T3i because Canon are one of the few supporting standard H.264 video. Pretty much everyone else goes with the god-awful AVCHD format.