Given a BlackBerry choice, 92% of Clorox employees picked iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Of the 2,000 smartphones the company has issued under the new plan, 92 percent are iPhones, while 6 percent picked Android and 2 percent chose a WP7 model.

Only 92 percent?!? Apple is DOOMED!
  • Reply 22 of 54
    addicted44addicted44 Posts: 830member
    Well, this tells us what we knew. All other things equal, a large majority of people would much rather get an iPhone than anything else.

However, all other things are not equal. Carrier subsidy, and pushing of particular phones gives Android a much bigger leg up than if they had to compete on their own.

I would also venture to say that at this point, this is enough of a factor to continue extending Android's lead in the smartphone market.

Fortunately for Apple, the OS market isn't limited to smartphones. They still have no real competitors for the iPad, and nearly 4 years since its introduction, we are yet to see an Android competitor to the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    92% sounds about right. 6% of Clorox employees must be delusional fandroids who spend their time rooting their phone during work and 2% of Clorox employees apparently have deep mental issues.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member
    Yes, the title is completely misleading. They dropped blackberry (for whatever reason) and they were only given the choice of iPhone, Android, or Win7. Between those choices, smart people. Wonder why they didn't offer BB any more?
  • Reply 25 of 54
    scott523scott523 Posts: 34member
    Eh no big deal here. It's just Clorox.
  • Reply 26 of 54
    mac voyermac voyer Posts: 1,295member
    I knew this story couldn't be believed. Whenever I hear a story about smartphones involving such high numbers, I am immediately suspicious. There is no way 8% of Clorox employees would have chosen a BlackBerry.
  • Reply 27 of 54
    Yes, Apple has won the hearts and minds of consumers and IT departments with the iPhone. However, the choice was between Win7, Android and iOS phones — not Blackberry phones as DED's headline indicates.

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so hard for DED to get basic facts right. Can he please explain why accuracy in his "journalism" is so challenging?
  • Reply 28 of 54
    robstarrobstar Posts: 5member
    Looks like a clean sweep for iPhone
  • Reply 29 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I don't get it?

Edit - Ah I see - BB was not one of the options going forward.

Isn't THAT news though? Why wouldn't they allow BB for at least continuity's sake?

I think that is the bigger story. Why wasn?t the BB offered at all?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sounds like the iPhone really cleaned up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Well, this tells us what we knew. All other things equal, a large majority of people would much rather get an iPhone than anything else.

However, all other things are not equal. Carrier subsidy, and pushing of particular phones gives Android a much bigger leg up than if they had to compete on their own.

I would also venture to say that at this point, this is enough of a factor to continue extending Android's lead in the smartphone market.

Fortunately for Apple, the OS market isn't limited to smartphones. They still have no real competitors for the iPad, and nearly 4 years since its introduction, we are yet to see an Android competitor to the iPod Touch.

I wish I could agree with you but there are plenty of unknowns here. We know they had three choices of modern mobile OSes: iOS, Android and WP7. What it doesn?t specify are which devices there companies will be supporting. The most reasonable answer for iOS is the iPhone 4, but what capacity. I would assume 16GB. But what about the other devices?

I dont? think the iPhone is an way in jeopardy of being lowered, and possibly could have an even farther device than the other options if we look at devices offered, but we?d have to know what they were and what was chosen.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    sprockketssprockkets Posts: 796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

Seriously, I don't understand why it's so hard for DED to get basic facts right. Can he please explain why accuracy in his "journalism" is so challenging?

Read his blog sometime. He thinks a Google employee tried to "silence" him by letting himself get hit by DED on his motorcycle.

Ever since then three Chrome logos keep spinning on top of his head.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 518member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rkevwill View Post

Yes, the title is completely misleading. They dropped blackberry (for whatever reason) and they were only given the choice of iPhone, Android, or Win7. Between those choices, smart people. Wonder why they didn't offer BB any more?

That's really strange because according to Gartner they're all going to be on Win7 phones shortly. Well, maybe the next company where people get to choose will pick at least 50% Win7.

Hahaha... not!
  • Reply 32 of 54
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 518member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Owen Meaney View Post

Yes, Apple has won the hearts and minds of consumers and IT departments with the iPhone. However, the choice was between Win7, Android and iOS phones ? not Blackberry phones as DED's headline indicates.

If you want facts, don't look to journalism or blogs - you'll probably actually have to look into things yourself. If you want an amusing place to watch fandroids freak out though, you've found it.

That said, the headline is really hilarious considering BB wasn't a choice...
  • Reply 33 of 54
    ieduiedu Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wish I could agree with you but there are plenty of unknowns here. We know they had three choices of modern mobile OSes: iOS, Android and WP7. What it doesn?t specify are which devices there companies will be supporting. The most reasonable answer for iOS is the iPhone 4, but what capacity. I would assume 16GB. But what about the other devices?

I dont? think the iPhone is an way in jeopardy of being lowered, and possibly could have an even farther device than the other options if we look at devices offered, but we?d have to know what they were and what was chosen.

I am a Blackberry employee and I am using Iphone!
  • Reply 34 of 54
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Maybe Chlorox didn't want to pay for BES and the licence was up.
  • Reply 35 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Maybe Chlorox didn't want to pay for BES and the licence was up.

That is what I was thinking. Despite RiM?s lowering of BES costs I can see many companies simply dropping it. I hope RiM gets it together soon because they seem to have horse in any race.
  • Reply 36 of 54
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    speaking as someone working in a large corprate IT dept I support users of Android, iphone and Win Mobile 6 (which is my company phone, my bosses choice not mine). I can tell you that the iphone is the easiest to manage and set up and support, Android requires a crazy app called touchdown to handle encryption of email and contacts - and requires users and/or support staff to input a serial key...insane but true. Windows Mobile phones constantly break, freeze crash and dont do basic things well like open office docs, yes, it is easier to work with a doc on the iphone than a win mo phone even tho for whatever reason, Apple hasn't enabled editing yet...and PDFs, the windows phone uses Adobe Reader, just like the desktop ui, its unusable.

Long story short, Android and Windows mobile are pathetic business phones, if you want a work phone, its BB or iOS, period. Blackberry still offers some good advantages, and a wider choice of form factors and carriers, and in my experience, connecting a phone to BES is easier than EAS. With bes, you just enter your email and PIN set by IT, with EAS, you have to input a server name, domain and such, and you also have to update your password every time you change it on the domain.

In my opinion, if it were a choice between BB and iPhone, it would be 60/40 or so - I use my work phone for email, texting the boss and coworkers, and calls, I dont want or need "apps" slowing that down, I love the iphone as a personal phone, but for work, give me a BB with a real keyboard any day.
  • Reply 37 of 54
    valanvalan Posts: 5member
    Dead in the water.
  • Reply 38 of 54
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac Voyer View Post

I knew this story couldn't be believed. Whenever I hear a story about smartphones involving such high numbers, I am immediately suspicious. There is no way 8% of Clorox employees would have chosen a BlackBerry.

Oh well, it'll all come out in the wash..
  • Reply 39 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

That's PPS

Yes. You're correct! Thanks!

Best
  • Reply 40 of 54
    ...is the timing. Did you read the original Computerworld article? It (correctly) implies that Clorox's revamped phones program began when their new CIO arrived, in April of last year.

At the time, the Android name was far less recognizable to most consumers. Android phones enjoyed perhaps only 5%-10% of the current user-base, and the Android brand received only a fraction of the (largely positive) press it's been getting lately. Choice of models and carriers was also significantly smaller; T-Mobile sold (I think) just three Android phones - all running v1.6, including 2009's clunky G1 - while Verizon had the original Droid and Sprint offered the HTC Hero, both of which had been around for at least six months.

Meanwhile, iPhone sales were booming toward their (current) peak in market share and it was Apple who grabbed all the headlines. Hardly a day went by without news of more cool apps, stylish accessories or celebrity sightings. The new iPad had just come out, plus you couldn't miss the publicity building up to iPhone 4's June release. Given the difference in circumstances between most of 2010 and now, it's no wonder that the vast majority of Clorox's employees asked for iPhones. The only surprise would be if they hadn't done so.