Total shipments of new Apple TV top 2 million, 820K sold last quarter - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    I just love mine, and for $99 how could I go wrong?
  • Reply 22 of 60
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    If you have an X-Box, like I do, you may not need an Apple TV. However, the Apple TV interfaces with other iOS devices much nicer.

For instance, I can get photos and movies from my Mac using my X-Box, however, I have to buy a third party application, and the interface is messy in comparison to an Apple TV. The X-Box also doesn't interface with the iPhone and iPad.

Also, unlike Sony and Apple, Microsoft charges users to use Netflix on the X-Box (you have to be a Gold Member, which costs). That is majorly lame considering Netflix on the X-Box costs Microsoft nothing and makes the device more valuable. Apple and Sony have it right there.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

So basically what we're saying is Microsoft still sell a lot more xboxs which also has the same functionality.

• Reply 23 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Must - find - new - hobby ....

• Reply 24 of 60
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    ATV is so inexpensive @ $100 that it is easy to justify buying even with its limited - but nice - current capabilities. and AirPlay has a huge potential for expansion.

i don't see Apple making its own brand of HDTV's. instead, apps will = channels. the MLB and NBA apps on iPad and ATV already show how this will work - streaming video, both live and on demand, like a normal CATV channel and also adding a lot more services to that. you can subscribe to just the ones you want, instead of paying a lot more for a CATV bundle, most of which you never watch. every content generator now offering CATV channels could take the same approach, if Apple allows them onto ATV. even local channels. if we see a Hulu ATV app added soon, that will be the big tipoff this is the plan.

to further that, Apple could also cut deals with select OEM's to build ATV into their HDTV's. Vizio would be a good choice, but not direct competitors like Sony and Samsung.

and if OS X Lion adds the ability to run iOS apps on your Mac computer, this would immediately turn your iMac or MacBook into a kind of Apple television too.

it's all about a seamless app-based Apple ecosystem that makes CATV and DVR's completely unnecessary.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

In the UK Apple TV is £101 while a new PS3 can be had for around £180. Plus, there isn't really much content available on Apple TV and what is there seems to be very expensive.

Pff. Many other countries, like mine (Belgium) don't even have an Apple TV available on the local Apple Store. Not to mention the total unavailbility of video content or shows (much of which is produced in the US, so author's rights could be paid using the same mechanism and any agreements that Apple already has in the US)

In most countries, the Apple TV isn't even a hobby, it is vacuous undertaking.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    Quote:

Surprised so many of these are selling. It really isn't a product worthy of homes when there are devices that do so much more available.

It would be cool to have an Apple TV, but I can't justify it when my PS3 does everything it does and so, so much more:
    • Blu Ray

• DVD

• Games

• BBC iPlayer

• ITV Player

• Hulu

• LoveFilm

• Live TV (with recording to HDD, pause and rewind)

• Free music videos (how much does Apple charge?!)

• 4OD

• Web Browsing (with Flash)

Granted, PS3 is more expensive but it's less than £100 more expensive and I'd say that additional functionality warrants the price.

I have a PS3 and an Apple TV2 hooked up to the same TV.

The PS3 is used only for games and the occasional Blu-Ray. The rest of the time it's the ATV.

* Netflix interface is better. It crashed on the PS3.

* Pictures(25,000+) and movies are streamed from iPhoto

* AirPlay from iTunes (250GB of media - not including movies) - This is also a benefit in streaming to the iPad

* Youtube (although I prefer to AirPlay YouTube from the iPad)

* Streaming media from our iPad.

In our case, the ATV2 is a great complement to the PS3. Though, if I could only have 1 device between the two, I'd choose the ATV2.

That said, there are a few things I'd like to see the ATV have:

* stream Safari from the iPad

* more apps that stream Audio and Video to the ATV (ex. CinexPlayer)

* apps running on the ATV

Maybe the LG Smart TV Upgrader will make Apple move quicker on getting apps on the ATV.
  • Reply 27 of 60
    I think its probably agreed by whoever uses a streaming service, whether on their PS3, XBOX or Apple TV, that its impossible to go back to standard broadcast. Given apple's well executed products I would imagine a full blown TV (display) would be an easy sell to both tech enthusiasts and the masses.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

edit: Pipped by Capnbob.

LMAO!

Whole lotta pipping goin' on...
  • Reply 29 of 60
    kubekube Posts: 40member
    It was an impulse buy. At $100, very little guilt.

I was amazed at how easily it hooked up to the TV and my home network. I'm also amazed at the quality transmitted through the internet and home wifi. Much better than I expected. My guess is that we'll be using it for about half of our TV viewing. We're exploring podcasts, especially videocasts. I'd love to get rid of our Comcast cable-TV contract. A real money-saver if that's possible.
  • Reply 30 of 60
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

I just love mine, and for $99 how could I go wrong?

Agreed, at that price I can see a couple more coming home with me There are some things missing though. I'd like to access my itunes library (NAS) or other video library directly rather than through an itunes server. There are work arounds but I suppose I'm like the 99% of the other buyers and just want something that I plug it and it works.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Guys...if you have a mac, a large flat screen HDTV and a lot of photos...believe me the streaming/slide show with some internet jazz playing in the background is worth the price of admission.

I don't even edit photos anymore...I just delete the bad ones and put all the rest of them over to AppleTV. When I invite friends or family over for dinner they just love to see photos of themselves.

It's so elegant. Typical Apple!

Don't get me wrong, I don't invite them over to watch a boring old slide show like years gone by. I just have it on sort of in the background and it's like a fireplace or aquarium.

I put it on in the evenings and my GF loves it. We view our photos more this way than if they were on the computer or certainly in an album or shoebox!

I mean it guys, your GF's, wives (or both) will think you are a genius.

I have not shown it to anyone that has not been extremely impressed by it!

Best

PS. I know TV speakers aren't the best...but they are ok for ambient music...with AppleTV, I got rid of all my stereo equipment and speakers. No wires, power bricks. This and in the car or running is the only way I listen to music anymore.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Surprised so many of these are selling. It really isn't a product worthy of homes when there are devices that do so much more available.

It would be cool to have an Apple TV, but I can't justify it when my PS3 does everything it does and so, so much more:
    • Blu Ray

• DVD

• Games

• BBC iPlayer

• ITV Player

• Hulu

• LoveFilm

• 4OD

Granted, PS3 is more expensive but it's less than £100 more expensive and I'd say that additional functionality warrants the price.

Saying the PS3 does Web-browsing is like saying Yogurt cartons and a piece of string do phone calls. I own both Apple TV and PS3. The best feature the PS3 has for me is USB. I have a 64GB USB stick with lots of stuff on it and it's plug and play. Medialink is nice to have too. 320 Gig HD is nice also.

The Apple TV is great for AirPlay, but sadly I have to switch inputs for that and it sometimes feels like a chore. YouTube App is 1,000,000 times better on Apple TV than YouTube on PS3. One surprising feature on Apple TV that works well is renting movies. I literally bought the Apple TV for AirPlay, but have rented a few movies and found the experience pretty decent, and the video quality good.

People don't want to web-browse on their TV. Geeks don't seem to understand this.

I can see this Apple television (aka iTV) in my mind. In my living room on a small table. Makes sense, yes. No HDMI ports? That's right, none. Optical audio port, Ethernet port (mini USB for support). Wi-Fi. Apps. Apple ID. Eyes are watering now. I want to believe. I do believe. iTunes TV, remains to be seem if they'll get that subscription deal ironed out. Final piece of the puzzle.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    Quote:

• Blu Ray

• DVD

• Games

• BBC iPlayer

• ITV Player

• Hulu

• LoveFilm

• 4OD

The PS3 is a MUCH better value for money than the Apple TV. However, its not a perfect substitute for it. The low price point (at least for people with disposable incomes) means that people are very willing to spend the sum to achieve that functionality.

Currently, the Apple TV does not offer much for people outside the US, unless you have a large iTunes based library. However, in the US, its a tiny thing which does not clutter your entertainment center, and provides you with a large amount of easily accessible content (MLB, NBA, Netflix, iTunes) at a very low price.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were many who purchased an Apple TV but also have a PS3, or an XBox 360.
  • Reply 34 of 60
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,305member
    Add an A5, app store access, and a sensible way to play games, and I'll buy one.
  • Reply 35 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drobforever View Post

2MM shipped? Or sold to consumers?

Sell in was quite smooth
  • Reply 36 of 60
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

People don't want to web-browse on their TV. Geeks don't seem to understand this.

If I can find other video content by browsing then this non-geek does want a browser.
  • Reply 37 of 60
    jr_bjr_b Posts: 64member
    Apple TV 2 is not as good as the original Apple TV. Sure it has Netflix, MLB and NBA. My xBox 360 plays all Netflix content --the Apple TV 2 doesn't.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    The killer app for Apple TV is AirPlay.

But, Apple crippled it by forcing the content provider to explicitly allow videos to play through AirPlay.

If Apple changes AirPlay to be able to send any video unless explicitly disallowed by the content provider, I would use my Apple TV much more (especially in combination of browsing the web with my iPad 2 and playing any videos on my TV).
  • Reply 39 of 60
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Airvideo app let you airplay any video format to the Apple TV
  • Reply 40 of 60
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Capnbob View Post

Apple TV is $99, PS3 basic is $299 in US. ITunes, Netflix, Airplay, strong integration to your home PCs for a total impulse price. PS3 is nice but 3x the price and nowhere near an impulse buy.

When they open up an App store for it, it will become much more useful (and all the UK VoD services will probably magically appear).

You pay more but you get more too. And if you can afford ipad and ipod for airplay, cost really isn't a problem. I have Apple TV 1 and PS3. Apple TV does photos well. PS3 does HD movies which is really why I got an HDTV and it plays my existing DVD's and Netflix DVD's and does Netflix streaming.