iPhone 5 to see 'major redesign' with multi-touch home button, 3.7" screen - rumor

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 113
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member
    To those wondering if there will be people buying iPhone 5 if the changes are internal rather than cosmetic. Well, more people bought 3GS than 3G! Can you really tell them apart so easily?
  • Reply 102 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

... since the "antenna-gate" came out, Apple is like on the magnifying glass to address the so called issue. If they don't change it, then the next iPhone 5 will be automatically labelled with the same issue. But if they do change it, without coming out with a better design (both aesthetically and functionally), then it's like they're saying the issue is there and should be changed. ...

I know you are more open minded than most about it, but every time this antenna issue comes up it simply amazes me because from most people's point of view, there is simply nothing wrong with the iPhone 4 antenna at all. That was the whole point of there not being a recall, and of the demos that Apple gave at their press event.

But the really funny part is that if you live outside the USA, it's virtually impossible to find anyone who's even experienced the issue. So whenever us "foreigners" hear you guys talking about "antenna-gate" it comes off the same as if you are talking about the "dead alien" they just found in Russia or the Loch Ness monster. I've seen some videos of it happening at the Apple press event that debunked the idea, but I'm seriously starting to believe that the videos are fake and that the whole idea of there being something wrong with the antenna is just an illusion.

I've never had a reception problem with iPhone 4 nor ever seen one, nor ever met anyone who's had a problem, or even seen a problem in someone else's phone. I know hundreds of people with iPhones and I help people with them on an almost daily basis (setting up email accounts and learning the basic ins and outs of the interface), and I've never even heard a third-hand rumour of someone having a problem with reception on an iPhone 4.

If it wasn't already, I really think the onus is really on the "believers" in this phenomenon now, to prove that it even exists.
  • Reply 103 of 113
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Josh: "Look! Look! I'm still relevant! I may have left Engadget, but I'm still here! Look! I found new information about the next iPhone! Please remember me! "
  • Reply 104 of 113
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Josh: "Look! Look! I'm still relevant! I may have left Engadget, but I'm still here! Look! I found new information about the next iPhone! Please remember me! "

Actually, he is still relevant. Because only relevant people would get potshots like the ones you're taking. Envy is an emotion that drives you to show the worst side of yourself, isn't it?
  • Reply 105 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I know you are more open minded than most about it, but every time this antenna issue comes up it simply amazes me because from most people's point of view, there is simply nothing wrong with the iPhone 4 antenna at all. That was the whole point of there not being a recall, and of the demos that Apple gave at their press event.

But the really funny part is that if you live outside the USA, it's virtually impossible to find anyone who's even experienced the issue. So whenever us "foreigners" hear you guys talking about "antenna-gate" it comes off the same as if you are talking about the "dead alien" they just found in Russia or the Loch Ness monster.

If it wasn't already, I really think the onus is really on the "believers" in this phenomenon now, to prove that it even exists.

I am open minded, especially since I never experienced the so called "death grip" on iPhone 4, nor heard the issue from friends or relatives who own iPhone 4.
  • Reply 106 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

My take on the iP4 and iP5:

..<snipped>..

What you want is like many iPhones users wish list, including me. And I honestly believe that's also what John Ivy and Steve Jobs have in mind, beauty in simplicity that just works.
  • Reply 107 of 113
    im sure i'm not the first one to say this, but this new rumor/mockup is so blatantly fake it's not even worthy of putting it up for discussion. it should never have been repeated by any of the various apple blogs, particularly AI.
  • Reply 108 of 113
    If tapered, one hand would have more grip area, the other, less. Typing, gaming, any use of landscape mode would become awkward. If Apple let this design through their gates, they will have regressed very far indeed.
  • Reply 109 of 113
    rtm135rtm135 Posts: 310member
    Not liking this mockup. It looks like a mini-iPad.

The iPhone 4 is more attractive. Just give it a 4-inch screen, better cameras, dual-processors, NFC, Voice Actions, and 4G and I'm on board.
  • Reply 110 of 113
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    If the design is that thin,the battery life would be awful.
  • Reply 111 of 113
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    I don't think Apple would abandon the IP4 design for this. Which is not to say they won't have a new design for the IP5 (most likely with an external antenna since that simply works better), but I don't see it going in this direction. One important consideration is how well the IP4 design works as a camera, and this rumored design would be a big step in the wrong direction, making the phone difficult to hold as a camera. Then there are all the other issues like battery life, and so on.

If this is anything real, it's most likely an iPod Touch. It's also possible that some parts of the rumor are true, or that details of several devices have gotten mixed into one, and that this rumored phone is really a chimera phone.
  • Reply 112 of 113
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

One important consideration is how well the IP4 design works as a camera, and this rumored design would be a big step in the wrong direction, making the phone difficult to hold as a camera. Then there are all the other issues like battery life, and so on.

You make a good point about the camera usability. I have a 3Gs, and iPhone 4 is definitely easier to hold and use as a camera. So I hope they retain this, but still make some changes. I think they can find a way to keep the external antenna, and improve it somehow (with a coating?) to minimize dropped calls and signal attenuation.

I do hope they they improve the back panel though. Glass is pretty, but it is just a bit too fragile. Now maybe they have found a way to strengthen the glass, and if so, then this would be great. If they can't, then I think they have to explore new materials for the back panel. There has to be something that is pretty and strong, and still radio signal-friendly. My only other concern is that they round out some of the sharper edges. I just want an overall improvement in how it feels in the hand.
  • Reply 113 of 113
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

removing antenna band:

takes away - some of the reception (perhaps, but if Apple did away with the band, they would find a design that worked)

The current design does work.