Barnes & Noble Nook, Lenovo ThinkPad prepare second volley of iPad alternatives

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    No... to most... it's a non issue.



    To you, like others that harped on the "issue" of Antennagate when there really wasn't one, it is the end-of-the-world and proof of the "OMG Apple is Evil" mentality.



    It's a non-issue. Stop spinning the story into something it isn't. I recommend you switch foil brands and make a more effective tin-foil hat.



    Can you say "Chicken Little?"
  • Reply 22 of 46
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Antennagate was nonsense. This, however, deserves a response from Apple. It may be nothing, but I want to know what is being done with my data. The reality is the cell phone companies have the same kind of information. Yet, I want to know why Apple has similar information.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    No... to most... it's a non issue.



    To you, like others that harped on the "issue" of Antennagate when there really wasn't one, it is the end-of-the-world and proof of the "OMG Apple is Evil" mentality.



    It's a non-issue. Stop spinning the story into something it isn't. I recommend you switch foil brands and make a more effective tin-foil hat.



  • Reply 23 of 46
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    The Lenovo looks really nice.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    -- Barnes & Noble Nook, Lenovo ThinkPad prepare second volley of iPad alternatives



    How did that first volley of the Xoom and Galaxy Tab do?
  • Reply 25 of 46
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post


    Antennagate was nonsense. This, however, deserves a response from Apple. It may be nothing, but I want to know what is being done with my data. The reality is the cell phone companies have the same kind of information. Yet, I want to know why Apple has similar information.



    Like any other media-fed drama the haters will cook up, Apple will address this. It's inevitable. I myself have a simple curiosity as well, but I shake my head at the irony of folks wanting to be ultra-connected and be on the grid, yet barf a cat when they realize (when Apple does it) that their location is being logged somewhere. Those devices by their very design means someone always knows where you are. If you have a problem with it, cancel your phone contract and stick with a cup/string device.



    But that does not diminish the childish antics of certain posters here that preach to everyone the evil doings of Apple, only to conveniently retreat to the back room with their mouth shut after another media-explosion turned out to be (again) another dud.



    The drama with the .db file is a joke. For someone to do evil exploiting, it would require physical possession of the phone. Here's a surprise for you Sherlock-wannabes. Someone can steal your laptop while you're carrying it and exploit the information on that for less-than-honorable purposes. Someone could also break into your house while you're at work and steal your desktop PC and perhaps extract information for that as well? Why aren't these sleuths screaming "agenda" with Microsoft, or Linux, Android, or <insert any OS here> when physical possession of the device is obtained?



    The reason is simple: Apple-haters. They'll feed on anything that remotely can be spun into an "Apple is Evil" theory.



    Within a month, all this will be forgotten and certain folks will change their stories denying they never spouted their mouths off without knowing all the facts.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post


    A few atlases and things are printed in landscape mode. But 99.9% of reading is done in the normal aspect ratio of a piece of paper.



    Someone mentioned 'non-issues' above.......the ability to read in landscape is a non-issue....





    When I'm on a tablet aside from reading a literal book, which is portrait, I find myself doing nearly everything else in landscape, including reading web content. Even for email I prefer it because I can have more columns useful and can see more preview text. Is it only books that don't reorient? Or is browsing also portrait only? I wouldn't use a tablet that forced you to browse in portrait.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post


    -- Barnes & Noble Nook, Lenovo ThinkPad prepare second volley of iPad alternatives



    How did that first volley of the Xoom and Galaxy Tab do?



    Poorly, which is why there is all the more reason to give it a second go, given that Apple's competition can see how popular the iPad is, and therefore how much of a market (and profit) is available.



    A monopoly can't last for long.



    Of course, I had really hoped the same thing would be true regarding Best Buy.....if you've noticed, ever since Circuit City went under, Best Buy has had less reason to provide discounts. Now that the economy is rebounding, I expect that there will be a new chain to compete with them. And I, for one, like competition, and going with the underdog.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    In fact every person should be tracked and the person's location be publicly available. We need to move towards transparency for making a better world so that we care for each other and focus on building a better life for everyone. Rather than want to be fighting with each other.



    Competition is what has made us go at one another. Competition does not create a better person but creates enmity, integrity, ethical and moral issues. We should encourage open-ness, transparency and empathy for each other and allow all our personal data public. This will discourage crime and make us better human beings.



    My two-bits on this useless saga.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post


    Like any other media-fed drama the haters will cook up, Apple will address this....Those devices by their very design means someone always knows where you are. If you have a problem with it, cancel your phone contract and stick with a cup/string device...But that does not diminish the childish antics of certain posters here that preach to everyone the evil doings of Apple, only to conveniently retreat to the back room with their mouth shut after another media-explosion turned out to be (again) another dud....The reason is simple: Apple-haters. They'll feed on anything that remotely can be spun into an "Apple is Evil" theory.



    Sorry to condense your comments - you have hit several nails on their heads. The real problem is that too many people are so hung up on personal "privacy" that the slightest whiff of the Big Bad Wolf or Big Brother brings out the very people who can't live without their mobile devices or their social network accounts or their GPSs, yet these things, by their very design, track where you are. It's (so far) not illegal to do this and the "search warrant" nuts don't know their donut from a hole in the ground WRT surveillance and an individual's "rights" in this matter.



    IMHO Apple (and by extension, Google) has done nothing wrong. Worrying about comments posted here is pretty tame; I worry why state and federal leaders are wasting time "investigating" this. There are much larger things for government to worry about (but those things sadly don't make for good sound bites whereas investigating Apple does).
  • Reply 30 of 46
    commun5commun5 Posts: 36member
    [QUOTE=frugality;1854061]Malware and viruses aren't an issue,



    I think the more than 50 Malware-infested applications that Google had to pull from the Android Market in March might have an issue with that.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post


    @Majjo. The ASUS Transformer is $399, so $100 less than Lenovo's tablet. Of course Lenovo may offer a better build or hardware, but who knows yet.



    As far as Laptops go ASUS computers last longer then every other major brand including apple. I think their tablet will also have this build quality.



    ASUS is an extremely underrated company. I love them but they have no notoriety for the great achievements they have completed. They are similar to AMD. Both are really great companies who don't have a clue how to market a product.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post


    As far as Laptops go ASUS computers last longer then every other major brand including apple. I think their tablet will also have this build quality.



    ASUS is an extremely underrated company. I love them but they have no notoriety for the great achievements they have completed. They are similar to AMD. Both are really great companies who don't have a clue how to market a product.



    Can you provide any links to reliable sources to substantiate this, or is this your opinion?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    la2000la2000 Posts: 4member
    There is only one way to gain both the traction and velocity necessary to challenge the iPad: price.



    Competitors are going to have to eat it when it comes to profits and concentrate on slowing the Apple momentum. Consumers are trained to believe that Apple is the high water mark when it comes to price. They are Mercedes Benz. All of these Kia tablet manufacturers who think they can charge the Mercedes Benz price are in for a surprise. No one is going to buy their random tablets unless they are substantially cheaper while still providing generally equivalent performance and features.



    That is just a fact of life.



    Why, one year later, this is still eluding the very well paid CEOs of the tablet competition is beyond me.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post


    Can you provide any links to reliable sources to substantiate this, or is this your opinion?



    http://smidgenpc.com/2010/05/07/lapt...most-reliable/



    Shocked me that Toshiba was big enough to make the list let alone the top two
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post


    A monopoly can't last for long.



    You obviously must have forgotten the iPod, Windows, Office and other monopolies.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    algallialgalli Posts: 10member
    The Nook strategy is actually better than the other competitors. They have a stable, useful product which allows them to sell in large volume and give them a target population. Expanding with additional capabilities and a good price point should keep them a solid player even if they can't challenge Apple for sales. However using Android 2.2 is a BIG problem.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Of the two manufactures of computers who have durability and quality... I am confidant that Lenovo will either make this tablet for business, or have a second tablet for this purpose, they excel is that area. Also speaking of tablet vs iPad, the new Eee machine converter is sold out at most aniline stores (been availible for like 20hours or so at this time) SOS competitor might abtually be surpassing expectations... Which surprises me. Figured it would take s while before others could sell, even at lower prices.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicolbolas View Post


    Also speaking of tablet vs iPad, the new Eee machine converter is sold out at most aniline stores (been availible for like 20hours or so at this time) SOS competitor might abtually be surpassing expectations... Which surprises me. Figured it would take s while before others could sell, even at lower prices.



    Sorry if I'm dense but what exactly is a EEE machine converter? What is an SOS competitor? I looked these up in Bing and found no artiles relating to either of them. A couple of links would help clear this up for me.



    Thanks.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post


    Can you provide any links to reliable sources to substantiate this, or is this your opinion?



    The study was linked above, but I can vouch for Asus reliability. I've owned 2 of their laptops, and have used countless amount of their motherboards in systems I've built over the years. Their notebooks are built damn well, and I haven't had a single problem with their motherboards.



    It looks like the transformer is selling well; amazon, bestbuy, and newegg are out of stock (at least for the 16GB model that i've checked). Based on what I've read online, people are having a hard time finding them in B&M stores as well. Of course we will need to know how was was actually distributed to retailers to get a complete picture, though I can't imagine its too big a stock considering the component shortages.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post


    Sorry if I'm dense but what exactly is a EEE machine converter? What is an SOS competitor? I looked these up in Bing and found no artiles relating to either of them. A couple of links would help clear this up for me.



    Thanks.



    He's refering to the Eee pad transformer:

    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384350,00.asp
Sign In or Register to comment.