Sony unveils its first tablets in bid to compete with Apple's iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 94
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I saw the Moto Xoom at staples last night and that Honeycomb is an effing disaster. The scrolling through web pages was on point but other than that it was a snoozefest!

As for Sony, well expect their crap to be virtually DOA. Just like the pspgo.

That clamshell option is stupid. What you going to do when that sh** breaks at the hinges?

Lol!

I hate Sony having had a lifetime of using their products, DVD players that refuse to play discs, PS3s that stop displaying video, proprietary storage/ media, that's all the guts of the machines but I have to say the enclosures are all really robust.
  • Reply 22 of 94
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Android? Good luck with that Sh1t, Sony.
  • Reply 23 of 94
    markbmarkb Posts: 153member
    Hrm....Coming out this fall, 6 months behind comeptitors...Tegra 2 processor which is already out of date and way slower than the A5 in many important ways...Man that form factor better help you win the lottery or slice bread or something!
  • Reply 24 of 94
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macwise View Post

Dear Sony,

Please die the cold and miserable death your inane actions have meritoriously warranted over the past few decades.

Warmest Regards,

The World.

Plus eleventy billion from anyone who has tried to access the Playstation network over the last six days.
  • Reply 25 of 94
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Although I think that Android is ok [...]

Sorry buddy. Lost ya there for a minute.

Quote:

Give RIM and HP their due, at least they are doing something different and should be commended for doing so.

RIM and HP each own their hardware and their software stack. So yes, they should be commended for controlling their own destiny. I just hope, for HP's sake, that they don't release alpha-quality unusable junk like RIM tried to do. It's too late for RIM. RIM has now learned, the hard way, that if you control your own destiny, you have nobody to blame but yourself when you fail.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Android truly is the "beige box" of the tablet world.

Completely wrong. The "beige boxes" of the pee cee world were all nearly identical. That generic uniformity was the key to Windows' success in the '90s.

But that was then and this is now. Every Android phone runs a different splinter version of Android and/or uses a different UI layer and/or sports a different screen geometry. Yes, fragmentation heads its ugly rear everywhere you look in the droid phone universe.

Rubin knows this. He's attempting to douse the dumpster fire of fragmentation that is already raging in the droid iPad clone space. He's trying to force hardware and software developers to limit their rampant noodling. There won't be any real "beige box" in the droid iPad clone universe until there's only one version of droid that all the cloners use.

Honeybomb, if it ever gets out of alpha, might be the ticket. But that's a year or two down the road. Too little, too late. Meanwhile, Apple is extending their lead. By standardizing. Which makes it easy for developers to program to iOS, and easy and intuitive for users to use iOS and its apps. And those are two concepts that are out of reach in the droid universe.
  • Reply 26 of 94
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    so these Sony tablets are going to use Tegra 2 platform. The one that's less capable than the ipad 2 by at least a fact of 2-3 performance-wise.

Not a very good start, especially given that the iPad excels in the more important area of user experience!
  • Reply 27 of 94
    tawilsontawilson Posts: 484member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Completely wrong. The "beige boxes" of the pee cee world were all nearly identical. That generic uniformity was the key to Windows' success in the '90s.

I can see what he really meant. He meant box-builders. There was almost nothing to differentiate the competitors except a slightly different case. Everything else was identical and on a level playing field. Leading to the good old "race-to-the-bottom" on price/profit, leaving Apple with the lion's share of the profits, for next to no marketshare!
  • Reply 28 of 94
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously an iPad 3 in late September or the following month would give a lot of CEOs ulcers or worst. Just imagine a super iPad hitting the market just in time for Christmas shopping and to take all the media interest as the competitors start to release hardware.

Yeah I know this is the year of iPad2 and all but we can wish. As it is I have this sneaky feeling that come time for the fall iPod release we will hear about an entirely new iOS device added to the iPod line up. I wouldn't be shocked one bit if it was a device of about 5" in size.
  • Reply 29 of 94
    akf2000akf2000 Posts: 223member
    "Year of iPad2" is a very clever, and probably last-minute, addition in the presentation that there's no iPad3 in 2011. It works on 2 levels; as a slogan for 98% of the population about domination and as a hidden message to the 2% of people who read blogs that there's no new device this year.
  • Reply 30 of 94
    Not even cool Wiz - I just got my iPad 2 on Friday! I need more time to enjoy being at the top of the hill before Apple releases the next 300 pound gorilla.
  • Reply 31 of 94
    I smell fail.
  • Reply 32 of 94
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Zzzzzzz . . .
  • Reply 33 of 94
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I find the S1 has a beautiful design.
  • Reply 34 of 94
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    Interesting projection. Gartner believes that tablet market sales volume will reach nearly 300,000,000 units annually by 2015? I suppose it's possible...

Assuming a world population of about 7 billion people, that means roughly 4.25% of all humans on the planet will be buying a tablet in the year 2015?

And, according to their projections, in the years between now and 2015, what % of humanity will have purchased one as well? 15%? More...?

Are these numbers realistic?

If they are, and Apple is seen as owning at or above 50% of that market until 2015...... well then. I guess it's time to buy their stock at any price.
  • Reply 35 of 94
    It would be interesting to find out if Sony is including PowerVR SGX543M4 graphics chips ... this chip set is double the graphic processors of the iPad2. Of course by the time all this vaporware is available, who knows what Apple has in store.

It is obvious the gaming platform is a key focus. Also there is no mention of battery life which is what so many of us real enjoy. My pc laptop (14") is lucky to get 2 hours before needing recharge. My next laptop will be an AIR.

I don't know how many know that the A5 is scalable and they can easily increase the processor frequency... yes it will impact battery life, but it can be done in a turbo fashion (upon demand) by proper software guidance. I wonder what iOS5 can do.
  • Reply 36 of 94
    donaldonal Posts: 10member
    Quote:

Dude- if they ever get their PSN up..

hackers utterly pwn3d the fuk out of it. It's been down since the 20th with zero ETA for restoring the service. I can't wait for mainstream media to finally pick that story up. any day now.

It is an unbelievable public relations disaster to headline a vapourware product not due to be released until fall during the outage of PSN.

There is an interesting commentary on the outage in the reddit blog:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...ecom_the_real/

I remember back when the Walkman (remember them?) was the coolest accessory to own and Sony had its own stores (precursors f the Apple Stores). Trinitrons were the best TVs and lasted over 20 years. Sony video cameras TRV900 led the field. Sony then had all the marketing cachet that Apple has today.

Then they brought in an opera singer as CEO, who led them down the primrose path of CDs and DRM. That's when the rot set in.
  • Reply 37 of 94
    memory. stick. duo. pro.
  • Reply 38 of 94
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    I don't know about slick, but at least Sony is not taking the let's just copy Apple approach. I don't see the purpose of the second device (though I don't think it looks bad), the first design seems more usable.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

Wow, these look slick!

It's a little refreshing that they are trying a different form factor and not simply copying Apple to a T.

I like the idea of a tapered back. This way when you put it on your lap you don't have to hold it at a comfortable angle.

Apple has a pretty good solution for that too if you buy the new case... but building it into the form factor is interesting.

As far as sflocal's comments about the DRM bullshit are concerned - couldn't agree more.

Who knows thou, maybe Sony has finally learned it's lesson and that's why they are running with Droid... maybe pigs will fly one day also.

I consider the design to be progressive.

Who knows thou if it's balanced in a way that is comfortable. Will have to hold one to know.

Do they track your every movement thou?

• Reply 39 of 94
    sol77sol77 Posts: 203member
    Quote:

Been loving this for a couple years now. My all time favorite Onion video. I showed it to my girlfriend a few months ago. We went shopping for a TV and while we were at the store we saw some Sony internet enabled TV device thingy with a controller loaded with approximately a hundred buttons. We promptly picked it up and began quoting the user experience from the video..."f***. F***! F*******!"

Granted...these devices look a bit less complicated.
  • Reply 40 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Seriously an iPad 3 in late September or the following month would give a lot of CEOs ulcers or worst. Just imagine a super iPad hitting the market just in time for Christmas shopping and to take all the media interest as the competitors start to release hardware.

Yeah I know this is the year of iPad2 and all but we can wish. As it is I have this sneaky feeling that come time for the fall iPod release we will hear about an entirely new iOS device added to the iPod line up. I wouldn't be shocked one bit if it was a device of about 5" in size.

Releasing updates more frequently cuts into profit margin and it opens the door to giving competition more of an idea of what you're up to.

So if the iPad2 is selling fabulously well in the fall, what is the point of releasing a new version at that time. Better to make lots of money through the Christmas season and then in the new year release an update that will pull ahead of whatever the competition has unveiled this fall. It is interesting that the competition is putting out product that is somewhat competitive with what Apple has already brought to market yet not able to keep pace with what Apple unleashes a few short months later. It's surprising, really, that this is happening because it doesn't take an engineer to figure out where Apple is headed. The iPad3 will be lighter, have more processing muscle, likely offer better display technology, feature better cameras, and toss in the odd wrinkle like making 3G or 4G standard across the board without increasing price. Of course battery life will be equal to or better than on the current model. Who knows, maybe find a way to bring Thunderbolt to the platform.

In order for a competitor to give Apple a good run, that competitor has to bring out a product that competes with the next iPad, not the one being sold when the competitor releases a new product. The target for tablets to be released in calender 2011 would need to be to give iPad3 a good run, not the iPad2. It doesn't appear that's going to happen and hence, Apple has no reason to give the iPad2 less than a year's worth of product cycle.

We saw this sort of scenario play out with MP3 players and it's beginning to look like deja vu all over again.