Advice on recently purchased Cinema Display

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi all,

I just got back from picking up a monitor I bought on eBay. It's the old ADC Apple Cinema HD Display (23"). The seller had it listed saying

Quote:

it is slightly dimmer in the lower region of the screen, although this is only visible with a white background (I watched dvds without noticing it for the past 2 yrs).

Now I've connected it up, it is apparent that the screen is quite a lot dimmer in the bottom half of the screen. And it is definitely noticeable on a lot more than just a white background. It is less noticeable while playing DVDs but then it's going to be so when there's a lot of darker colours and movement.

After looking at online sources such as this, I'm thinking that it could well be down to a problem with the inverter, or possibly even a burnt out bottom bulb (there are apparently only two in the unit). The power light doesn't flash to indicate a problem, but then neither the power button nor the brightness button seem to work... Although the USB connections work fine.

What do you think I should do? Have I bought a dud that is going to cost too much to get repaired? Shall I take it to a Genius Bar, or give up and contact the seller for a refund? I was lucky to get it cheap, but if it's going to cost too much to be repaired I'm not sure I can live with it as it is.

Any help gratefully received

Thanks!

:-Joe

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jowie74 View Post

What do you think I should do? Have I bought a dud that is going to cost too much to get repaired? Shall I take it to a Genius Bar, or give up and contact the seller for a refund? I was lucky to get it cheap, but if it's going to cost too much to be repaired I'm not sure I can live with it as it is.

IPS screens are fairly inexpensive these days:

23" for $260

http://www.amazon.com/LG-IPS231V-PN-...4010157&sr=8-2

23" for $280

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VP23...4010157&sr=8-1

23" for $265

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-U2311-W.../dp/B003R7K332

23" for $305

http://www.amazon.com/NEC-EA231WMi-B...010157&sr=8-13

I would personally sell it on eBay again and be honest about the display quality. Someone will probably buy it for $100-150 - someone may buy it to repair themselves. How much did you buy it for?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

IPS screens are fairly inexpensive these days:

Would be lovely, but unfortunately I can't afford to spend that amount right now, hence the punt on eBay.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I would personally sell it on eBay again and be honest about the display quality. Someone will probably buy it for $100-150 - someone may buy it to repair themselves. How much did you buy it for?

I could do that, but I'm not sure I'd get that much. I only paid £26 ($43) and it was local pick-up. I don't think I could do anything other than local pick-up because it has no box. I guess I'll try and see if he's happy taking a refund. I've seen them sell for about £90-£100 ($150 ish), but those ones are usually in perfect condition.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Hi all,

I just got back from picking up a monitor I bought on eBay. It's the old ADC Apple Cinema HD Display (23"). The seller had it listed saying

Now I've connected it up, it is apparent that the screen is quite a lot dimmer in the bottom half of the screen. And it is definitely noticeable on a lot more than just a white background. It is less noticeable while playing DVDs but then it's going to be so when there's a lot of darker colours and movement.

After looking at online sources such as this, I'm thinking that it could well be down to a problem with the inverter, or possibly even a burnt out bottom bulb (there are apparently only two in the unit). The power light doesn't flash to indicate a problem, but then neither the power button nor the brightness button seem to work... Although the USB connections work fine.

Any help gratefully received

Thanks!

:-Joe

If the seller is an honorable person he will give you your money back. This is what I would do. This is a clunker you bought.Don't put good money into something that is costly to repair.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

If the seller is an honorable person he will give you your money back. This is what I would do. This is a clunker you bought.Don't put good money into something that is costly to repair.

Yeah that's what I decided, thanks. I contacted him and said although I did appreciate that he had mentioned about the brightness, I couldn't dismiss the fact that it was pretty obviously a real technical issue with the unit. When you dim the brightness the monitor strobes, and the light flashes twice quickly then once slowly. Looking this up shows that there is a problem with the inverter... Replacing the inverter can cost $100 or more.

He's been pretty fine about it, and it looks like he's happy to have me return it and get a refund. I guess he'll try to sell it again and possibly make more money off it... That's up to him

It is niiiice having such a large monitor but it's just unfortunately not good enough.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    One thing though... The buttons on the front were fine... They were disabled in the System Preferences... oops.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Yeah that's what I decided, thanks. I contacted him and said although I did appreciate that he had mentioned about the brightness, I couldn't dismiss the fact that it was pretty obviously a real technical issue with the unit. When you dim the brightness the monitor strobes, and the light flashes twice quickly then once slowly. Looking this up shows that there is a problem with the inverter... Replacing the inverter can cost $100 or more.

He's been pretty fine about it, and it looks like he's happy to have me return it and get a refund. I guess he'll try to sell it again and possibly make more money off it... That's up to him

It is niiiice having such a large monitor but it's just unfortunately not good enough.

I am glad the buyer gave you the money back. Now be a little more cautious next time when you want to buy a used Apple product.Good Luck marv
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

I am glad the buyer gave you the money back. Now be a little more cautious next time when you want to buy a used Apple product.Good Luck marv

Yep, just got back from returning it... Full cash refund, can't say fairer than that. Lesson learned I agree, however I guess I would still have put the monitor to use had he not agreed to the refund.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Yep, just got back from returning it... Full cash refund, can't say fairer than that. Lesson learned I agree, however I guess I would still have put the monitor to use had he not agreed to the refund.

Glad everything worked at well for you. That chap was very honorable to do this cash back return.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Glad everything worked at well for you. That chap was very honorable to do this cash back return.

I gave him very good feedback