Apple's iPad 2 launch in China draws crowds, scalpers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    peter236peter236 Posts: 254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Retrogusto View Post

It does seem kind of odd, given that they are made ("assembled") in China (maybe even in Shenzhen, right by Hong Kong). I guess it must be a choice rather than a logistical issue.

Apple just cannot make enough products to go around the world. So the choice is to stock the channel in North American first, then Europe and Japan.

But it is clear that, Apple sales in the Greater China region is surging rapidly. However, Foxconn has to deal with rapidly rising wages in China, as well as surging demand for Apple products at the same time.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    s_xps_xp Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Well, originally I went to Bank Centre Broadway in Mong Kok on launch day, and waited in line (after first going to Ultimate in Central where they told the people who had waited in line for more than an hour that they were sold out -- even before they opened the shop!!! ). I would have got one, but had left my credit card at home (DOH!).

Then on Wednesday, I went to Mongkok again, and every shop was sold out... except one. The guy at New Vision₂ told me that they had received the first shipment on Friday and then another shipment on Saturday, and then -- nothing. Suning (formerly Citicall) next to the same Broadway said they only had one model available. I held my breath and asked which one, and he said... 64Gig. Wifi. Black! The EXACT model I wanted.

Only one caveat. They made me buy a Tunewear case for HK$399. They wouldn't sell it to me without buying the Tunewear case. It's a nice case, but I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have to.

Maybe this unscrupulous tactic should be reported to Apple.

Thanks for this. I may have to head up to Mongkok next week at some point, and see if I'm in Lady Luck good books!

Yes, that case thing is rather naughty, but I am glad you got the device you were looking for!
  • Reply 23 of 36
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

This is truly disgusting! This proves why China is still behaving like a Third World Country while they are going on their way to becoma a First World Country? Ever heard of scalping in Japan?

You're very funny. Where does the U.S. stand in your estimation of scalping? Remember the Wii, or any other hot product, including iPhones and iPads, when they were first released? You couldn't find any in the stores, but there were hundreds for sale on eBay for double the price or more. Or don't you consider that scalping?

How about when there's a flood or other emergency, and the stores sell food for 5 times the price? How about the people that ran all the scams after Hurricane Katrina and the World Trade Center bombing?

Welcome to the First World - scalpers, scammers and spammers. (Adding $30 to the price of an iPad is pretty mild, actually).
  • Reply 24 of 36
  • Reply 25 of 36
    kenckenc Posts: 195member
    Quote:

This is truly disgusting! This proves why China is still behaving like a Third World Country while they are going on their way to becoma a First World Country? Ever heard of scalping in Japan?

Is Apple condoning scalping in China? Doesn't Apple have a policy that each person can only buy one iPad? We do have a policy in the US while every one can at most buy two iPhones. It seems the Apple management is keeping one eye shut. I am not foolish enough to let myself be scalped, and I can wait 1 to 2 weeks for my iPad to arrive if they don't have any in stock. Hopefully they will do something productive with their iPads (i.e. read) instead of playing games all the time.

Where did you hear Apple is not limiting purchases? I went to the Apple China website and they limit you to 2 iPads.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moustache View Post

LOL at no smoking in building as one of the rules from Apple line up for iPad purchase.

If you don't post it, the Chinese will light up. You do know that China is the last great frontier for cigarette mfrs, right?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    [QUOTE=niji;1860050]
    Quote:

IronTed, your post is spot on. In every way.

the apple people in charge of china do not know how to grow their brand in china. apple in china is allowing itself to be a boom to bust brand if it isnt able to get the product into a more reasonable distribution pattern.

there is a coming backlash to be caused by incorrect supply chain and market expansion decisions.

if apple's supply chain cant handle the stress (and opportunity) afforded by china currently, then it should not be launching products there yet. there are so many other markets that should be given priority to grow share in. you mention one: japan. but there are many other international markets where market share can be gained now before others get a chance to catch up.

china is not interested in apple. china is interested in what is hot currently. growing a brand in china is more difficult and apple will learn it the hard way.

So, your proposal would be that Apple not sell in China? Rather, you'd have gray marketeers buy iPads in New York, San Fran, HK and elsewhere and bring them in? While the Japan and other markets are important, I'd wager that Apple feels that the China market is probably the 2nd most important globally behind the US.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Man, I don't know how you last in Hong Kong. I hear people are rude, unscrupulous, all out just for money, etc. They have some of the worst traits of non-Westernised ethnic Chinese, from what I hear.

At least the ethnic Chinese here in South East Asia may be quite money-minded, but not as bad as Hong Kong.

I'm half ethnic Chinese, I know about some of our less appealing traits.

Quote:

Well, originally I went to Bank Centre Broadway in Mong Kok on launch day, and waited in line (after first going to Ultimate in Central where they told the people who had waited in line for more than an hour that they were sold out -- even before they opened the shop!!! ). I would have got one, but had left my credit card at home (DOH!).

Then on Wednesday, I went to Mongkok again, and every shop was sold out... except one. The guy at New Vision₂ told me that they had received the first shipment on Friday and then another shipment on Saturday, and then -- nothing. Suning (formerly Citicall) next to the same Broadway said they only had one model available. I held my breath and asked which one, and he said... 64Gig. Wifi. Black! The EXACT model I wanted.

Only one caveat. They made me buy a Tunewear case for HK$399. They wouldn't sell it to me without buying the Tunewear case. It's a nice case, but I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have to.

Maybe this unscrupulous tactic should be reported to Apple.

• Reply 29 of 36
    tontontonton Posts: 14,067
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Man, I don't know how you last in Hong Kong. I hear people are rude, unscrupulous, all out just for money, etc. They have some of the worst traits of non-Westernised ethnic Chinese, from what I hear.

At least the ethnic Chinese here in South East Asia may be quite money-minded, but not as bad as Hong Kong.

I've never been in any society where no one is rude, unscrupulous or out for money. I've also never been in any society where everyone is rude, unscrupulous and out for money. The skill is in knowing how to pick your friends, and how to deal with everybody else.

I've got plenty of friends here in Hong Kong who are not rude, not unscrupulous, and not out for money. So I get along.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Have you ever lived in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong Chinese are some of the nicest people I have ever met. They are so polite and well-behaved. They are well educated and know to appreciate fine products. They are so well-cultured, I would say they are better than the south east Asia Chinese.

But South east Asia Chinese have their nice aspects.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    squozesquoze Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

If you don't post it, the Chinese will light up. You do know that China is the last great frontier for cigarette mfrs, right?

From May 1st China has implemented a no smoking ban in public places. It's good to see Apple highlighting this as awareness of the ban is low and enforcement will be down to the actions of shops, restaurants etc.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnorth View Post

Check few pics here: http://micgadget.com/12431/the-ipad-...ness-in-china/

Check this out too. Good video.

http://micgadget.com/12040/how-the-m...does-business/

Just the tip of the iceberg of the grey market.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by niji View Post

IronTed, your post is spot on. In every way.

1/ when apple stores in china had the problem with scalping last year and the year before they began to require ID and everyone could buy either one or two depending on the item and time.

they have changed their policy and there is no limit now.

2/ iPhone 4 in HK sold out within an hour or so at authorised retailers and with scalpers from guangdong ferrying iPads and iPhones back to china it is creating a frustrating situation for regular customers

the apple people in charge of china do not know how to grow their brand in china. apple in china is allowing itself to be a boom to bust brand if it isnt able to get the product into a more reasonable distribution pattern.

there is a coming backlash to be caused by incorrect supply chain and market expansion decisions.

if apple's supply chain cant handle the stress (and opportunity) afforded by china currently, then it should not be launching products there yet. there are so many other markets that should be given priority to grow share in. you mention one: japan. but there are many other international markets where market share can be gained now before others get a chance to catch up.

china is not interested in apple. china is interested in what is hot currently. growing a brand in china is more difficult and apple will learn it the hard way.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

The meta message from your post is more interesting than the opinion you present. That is, an example of the deep-seated animosity many Japanese hold toward China.

I don't think niji's post could be deemed to be an example of "deep-seated animosity" the Japanese hold towards the Chinese, even if it exists.

Let's just say mainland Chinese and people from Hong Kong have a reputation for being out just to make a quick buck any way they can. And this perception is shared by ethnic Chinese and other races in various countries. To what extent this is true or not, I leave to the sociologists.

Country and racial issues aside, niji has an interesting point, if people in China start getting bored of Apple then the brand will suffer. However, there is a universal appeal of Apple gear that will last beyond just being the latest fad. The iPad 2 is super popular because in Asia, well, you just gotta have one... But it is still generally a superior tablet to anything else out there. The Chinese would be able to appreciate that, beyond the hype of just getting one. Some may be pissed off when they realise it can't run Flash and MS Office (I'm sure this happens around the world) but workarounds exist.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

Have you ever lived in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong Chinese are some of the nicest people I have ever met. They are so polite and well-behaved. They are well educated and know to appreciate fine products. They are so well-cultured, I would say they are better than the south east Asia Chinese.

But South east Asia Chinese have their nice aspects.

To be honest I haven't visited or lived in Hong Kong. Only Malaysia, Singapore, a few Australian cities, US, and the briefly the UK and some European countries. I only have the information from South East Asian Chinese to go on at this stage, and personal experience from encounters with immigrants from China and Hong Kong in the places I've been to.

Quote:

I've never been in any society where no one is rude, unscrupulous or out for money. I've also never been in any society where everyone is rude, unscrupulous and out for money. The skill is in knowing how to pick your friends, and how to deal with everybody else.

I've got plenty of friends here in Hong Kong who are not rude, not unscrupulous, and not out for money. So I get along.

Well, you seem to be quite forgiving... I don't know many people who would be willing to be forced to buy a case just to get the latest iPad.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    http://www.redsn0wdownload.com is an excellent tool to use if you want to jailbreak your iPhone. Simply use the Redsn0w Download to get access to thousands of applications. Redsnow really is the way to go.
  • Reply 36 of 36

Redsn0w is an excellent tool to use if you want to jailbreak your iPhone. Simply use the Redsn0w Download to get access to thousands of applications. Redsnow really is the way to go.