Foxconn explosion won't greatly affect iPad 2 production for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    magicjmagicj Posts: 406member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Having worked in manufacturing for several years, ignoring scheduled maintenance and repairs on equipment to the point of failure and even worse, the talent that went behind operating such machinery (hard to find or takes a long time to train) are injured is a very serious profit loss due to missing your set goals and deadlines.

Many factory contracts depend on delivery, so if a manufacturer does not deliver on time they will actually loose anywhere from 5~45% of the agreed-on amount. In some cases it's even a 100%, and that's when the products are sold at "dumping" rates, which a big problem for U.S. businesses to purchase since they carry legal implications.

All well and good, but I think in China things may be a bit different than here in the U.S. I'd hazard a guess this is far more likely to be brushed over with nothing done to improve the situation.

But I hope I'm wrong. Apple publishes a report listing many of the abuses that go on in these factories, and they say they want to change things. Hopefully that is true, because we've passed the point of accepting reports and hand waving as substitutes for action.
  • Reply 22 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

Didn't you all jump on a poster for making jokes about the explosion the day the story broke? But it's okay now?

Haven't been here for a few days. Been busy.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

You, on the other hand, will defend Apple in the face of these abuses, which are so bad that even American slaves never had to tolerate anything like it. And before you argue this point with me, show me a reference where American slaves were exposed to hazardous chemicals and forced to breathe aluminum every day.

You're just being an asshole, right?...
  • Reply 24 of 75
    obamaobama Posts: 62member
    Quote:

Haven't been here for a few days. Been busy.

Never too busy to mind Apple's business. Gotta keep an eye on these guys.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    Quote:

Hardly true. I only vilify them when they don't inform customers that their private data has been stolen, when they sell developers access to APIs that can't be used due to patent disputes, and when they financially reward manufactures with a long history of serious abuses against their employees. And for their 800+ fart apps.

You, on the other hand, will defend Apple in the face of these abuses, which are so bad that even American slaves never had to tolerate anything like it. And before you argue this point with me, show me a reference where American slaves were exposed to hazardous chemicals and forced to breathe aluminum every day.

Please go away. Thanks.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please go away. Thanks.

Tell it to the people dying, quickly and slowly, from these practices.
  • Reply 27 of 75
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Good point. Let's bring back slavery as long as the slaves aren't exposed to environmental hazards. It would be so much more convenient today because we can buy/sell slaves on eBay.
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Good point. Let's bring back slavery as long as the slaves aren't exposed to environmental hazards. It would be so much more convenient today because we can buy/sell slaves on eBay.

How about we just provide safe working conditions for those workers.

Not hard to do.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

His statement is so odd. He wants not a reference to slavery and hardships, but to 1) American slaves, 2) hazardous chemicals, but not hazardous elements or other working conditions, AND 3) forced to breath in aluminum every day. If all the criteria isn?t met it?s somehow not valid in his mind. I sort of miss the more clever trolls.

I seem to recall that bauxite mining was popular in the Americas and that before the Hall-Héroult process of the 19th(?) century it was more difficult to mine and thus made it more value than even gold. Considering the metal has been used since at least the Ancient Greeks it seems unlikely that slave labor wasn?t utilities by many cultures over the centuries. However, I simply can?t prove that a single American slave breathe bauxite ore so I guess I must tip my hat to magicj?s superior argument¡ <== Ethiopian irony mark.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I must tip my hat to magicj’s superior argument¡ <== Ethiopian irony mark.

You don't need to tip your hat to me, solipsism. I am no one of importance.

But you do not turn your back on injustice. You do not excuse it. It makes no difference whether it's Chinese workers building iPads or American workers mining coal. When you see a clear cut case of human abuse and shear brutality, do what you can to stop it.

Do not be so worldly-wise and jaded and bush it off with a "That's just the way it has to be".
  • Reply 31 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

What amazes me is "Apple" needs to do something. Because this is part of Foxconn's customer list.

Apple Inc.

Acer

Amazon

Asus

Intel

Cisco

Hewlett-Packard

Dell

Nintendo

Nokia

Microsoft

Sony

Sony Ericsson

Samsung

Vizio

What part of "iPad 2 production plant" did you not understand?
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:

How about we just provide safe working conditions for those workers.

Not hard to do.

No not hard just expensive. No can do, gotta keep that bottom line low and profit margins up.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    Quote:

Please go away. Thanks.

The truth is ugly, isn't it?
  • Reply 34 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Are you seriously arguing that Foxconn’s poor working conditions and/or health risk areas are ONLY in departments that build Apple’s products?
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:

Please go away. Thanks.

You and Solipsism would defend Apple if Steve Jobs was caught sneaking into the place with a fucking bomb.

Anyone who doesn't sing the same song is a troll, or an idiot.

Bollocks son.
  • Reply 36 of 75
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    [ Fuck it... ]
  • Reply 37 of 75
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What part of "they need to do more to correct those problems" do you not understand?

Every time anyone brings anything up about conditions, deaths, quarterly results or anything to do with Foxconn, Apple is in the headline. Apple isn't the only company that does business with Foxconn. The problems at "iPad2 production plant" are problems at EVERY plant Foxconn owns. Problems are NOT unique to Apple products. Do you understand now?? I didn't think so......
  • Reply 38 of 75
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    Quote:

Tell it to the people dying, quickly and slowly, from these practices.

Why, just bitch about the problem, anonymously -- rather shouldn't go on record, publicly, with your real name...

Then, diligently, apply yourself to attaining the fame, following and where-with-all -- that you can actually do (and influence others to do) something to correct the situation.

'course that's more difficult, and less self-satisfying that telling others how they must act.
  • Reply 39 of 75
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Are you seriously arguing that Foxconn’s poor working conditions and/or health risk areas are ONLY in departments that build Apple’s products?

Yep, because Apple is the only company that really matters. These idiotic trolls confirm that every time they come to this and other Apple pro boards.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotWake View Post

Yep, because Apple is the only company that really matters. These idiotic trolls confirm that every time they come to this and other Apple pro boards.

urrr... since Apple is the only company that really matters therefore Foxconn incorporates poor working conditions and/or health risk in Apple manufacturing facilities?

Please clarify