oled technology

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I had a curious thought. I know that kodak has already developed and is actively marketing oled technology and for sure wants monitors to be made from the stuff. Could apple's recent price drop reflect the introduction of new flat panels that are actually color acurate? - or are ther other reasons that I've overlooked for the price drop?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    From Kodak's web site (Dec. 4, 2001 announcement):

"Beginning with a pilot facility in early 2002 and graduating to a full production facility in early 2003, the SK Display Corporation will offer the world's first full-scale manufacturing facility dedicated to full-color, active-matrix OLED displays."

So, don't expect OLED displays in quantity for at least a year. Very exciting prospects, though.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    orb24orb24 Posts: 41member
    pretty much as I thought.I geuss my mind wandered in thesea of speculation and took its own trip

I just can't understand what happened in sf today. Well I can, I'm just not overly enthused. Mhz. war or not the prospects of a processor 3 times the speed of the current g4's burns my biscuit. Especially, now that i'm ready to upgrade the old beige within three month's. I want to make the best investment I can.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    tjmtjm Posts: 367member
    Well, hang on for a couple weeks. Since the iMac is his special baby, I think he wanted the stage exclusively for it today, without the Big Brother PM systems overshadowing it. The fact that the PM line was completely untouched is very telling. If they had nothing up their sleeves in the way of major improvements, there would have been a speed bump or something today. As it is, they're EOLing the current line (it looks to me) and getting ready for a complete changeover to a new architecture very soon: soon enough to make it a waste of time to do anything with the present ones.

It's either that or Jobs is an absolute idiot and can't see what a terrible value the current PM line is with the new iMacs out. I would be a fool to bet on that.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: TJM ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 7
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Good post, TJM. I've actually calmed down a little.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    [quote]Originally posted by TJM:

<strong>Well, hang on for a couple weeks. Since the iMac is his special baby, I think he wanted the stage exclusively for it today, without the Big Brother PM systems overshadowing it. The fact that the PM line was completely untouched is very telling. If they had nothing up their sleeves in the way of major improvements, there would have been a speed bump or something today. As it is, they're EOLing the current line (it looks to me) and getting ready for a complete changeover to a new architecture very soon: soon enough to make it a waste of time to do anything with the present ones.

It's either that or Jobs is an absolute idiot and can't see what a terrible value the current PM line is with the new iMacs out. I would be a fool to bet on that.

[ 01-08-2002: Message edited by: TJM ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

yea I agree completely, however the reason windows rules the world is because bill gates isn't an idiot when it comes to getting things sold, whereas jobs' has his own personal plans and stuff, but most of them only work as planned in his own little world

I'd have to think the g5 is RIGHT around the corner, I like the prospect of apollo g4s in the tibook sahara g3s in the iBook, normal g4s in the iMac and g5s in the powermac...I just really hope that ddr ram at 300 mhz+ system bus at 300 mhz+ and at least 1.6 ghz g5s are released..It would be the coolest thing if apple TOTALLY surprised us and released like monster dual 2.4 ghz g5s or some madness like that, loaded with awesome features and all that...but then the iMac and the iBooks would have to be explained the mhz myth about 17 times a day
  • Reply 6 of 7
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    What I consider to be a sure sign of TJM's idea is Apple's own website: Final Cut Pro 3 has been around for 3 weeks; when it was first announced, I noticed the Ti and PowerMac 'movies' section had not updated. The Ti's finally updated with the introduction of the standard combo drive update. The PowerMac continues to endorse Final Cut Pro 2. The only reasoning behind this that I can see is that Apple doesn't want to design and create an updated page for a product that won't be around for much longer. In fact, this was largely why I was expecting one today. Oh well... that should tell you my theories aren't worth much.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    [quote]Originally posted by Wrong Robot:

<strong>

yea I agree completely, however the reason windows rules the world is because bill gates isn't an idiot when it comes to getting things sold, whereas jobs' has his own personal plans and stuff, but most of them only work as planned in his own little world </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, Job's little baby the first iMac saved Apple and has sold 6 million machines. I'm a betting that the new iMac sells much more than that.

Job's knows what he's doing, we're just armchair CEOs