• Reply 41 of 51
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mode View Post

'Think Different' to 'Think Obediance'

How many aliases does Tekstud have?
  • Reply 42 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Some people here don't even deserve to own Apple products. There's nothing to even argue about in this particular situation. Simply put, Apple is right, the kid is wrong.

Apple, in a huge act of kindness, decides to dismiss the suit, and some people have the nerve to bash Apple?

Anybody even remotely defending the kid or his illegal, thieving ways deserves to have the same thing happen to them. The kid is lucky that things didn't turn out a whole lot worse for him. The kid's name sounds like he's of Chinese heritage. He should learn that the USA is not China, and what he did might fly in China, a country where intellectual property rights are hardly protected, but in the USA, a company like Apple is going to go after his kind and nail his butt to the floor if they find it necessary to do so.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cliffjumper68 View Post

The kid complied already with the letter to stop selling this is just creepy corporate thuggery, i hope apple's bad karma comes back on them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Suing little kids and their parents for doing the job you couldn't figure out how to do?

Perhaps Steve Jobs has been spending too much time hanging out with music execs?

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by magicj View Post

Thanks

Unfortunately, several folks have gotten their panties in a bunch over it.

And yeah, I know Apple needs to defend their IP. I'm happy to see they immediately dropped the case.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Sorry, this seems like an over-reaction to me, even with Apple asking for dismissal. What did the kid do wrong? And I don't see how what he did impacted Apple's trademarks. Is Apple telling me that if I want to modify my iPhone (let's say put a decal on it or spray paint it), I can't do it? It is MY phone, isn't it? And I can't take it one step further and sell those decals or sell instructions as to how to do it?

It would be one thing if the kid was buying stolen parts, but he apparently got the parts that were being sold on the street in China. If Apple wants to go after someone, they should go after the part manufacturer, not this kid. As long as the kid isn't using Apple's logo on this website or on any packaging of the parts and as long as there's no implication that this is official, it seems to me he should be in the clear.

If someone sells a kit to add neon lights to the bottom of a BMW mini, they don't need BMW's permission even if the marketing says, "made to custom fit a BMW". I don't see how this is any different. Is Apple next going to say that no one can make custom interface cards for the MacPro tower unless they're licensed by Apple?

Please re-read the original article and think before you write. Remember context!
  • Reply 44 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Time to move on, also done.

No, it isn't.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Stop being reactionary and use your brain for two seconds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Grow up and think before you react as if someone's sending the Military against a kid with a water pistol.

Pot, kettle.

Using one's brain doesn't necessarily result in drawing the same, obviously incorrect, conclusion nor over-reacting the same way you did.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Some people here don't even deserve to own Apple products. There's nothing to even argue about in this particular situation. Simply put, Apple is right, the kid is wrong.

There's plenty to argue about because it's a forum, not a courtoom. Posters here aren't (for the most part) parties to the action, the complete facts aren't known to us, and the case presents little more than a conversation piece or curiosity. To claim to expertly draw any conclusion from it is hubris.

And really, "don't deserve to own Apple products"? If you bought or obtained through some other transfer of ownership something Apple you deserve to own it. Owning Apple products aren't a privilege. They aren't human beings either. They're machines. Computing machines. (Except for the cases.) Conforming to some ethic or religious belief isn't a requirement to own a tool used for some work.

Quote:

Apple, in a huge act of kindness, decides to dismiss the suit, and some people have the nerve to bash Apple?

Apple doesn't act out of kindness. It's a business with its own interests to protect operating on a global stage with many observers. And with the facts of the case and the terms of the settlement being undisclosed, it's hard to say exactly what their options were, what they obtained in compensation and what they left the defendants with.

Quote:

Anybody even remotely defending the kid or his illegal, thieving ways deserves to have the same thing happen to them.

Uh, no, mr high-and-mighty. Only if one conducts oneself in illegal, thieving ways does one deserve to be taken to court. Learn to fit the punishment to the crime; of which, holding an opinion is not.

Quote:

The kid's name sounds like he's of Chinese heritage. He should learn that the USA is not China?.

Heritage isn't the same as nationality. You can't tell the country of birth, nor where one's raised, just from their last name. And it's a safe bet that whatever the country(-ies) of your heritage is, its IP laws aren't as mature as the USA's are either.

Try to remember you're just a commentator on a public bulletin board focused on a computer company. If you want to expend your righteous indignation correctly, focus on getting the right senators and congressmen elected. But here? It's just talk.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Looks like those whose entire life savings are in AAPL (or sense of self worth and being tied with the Apple logo) are at it again with "anyone that dares deviate a micron needs to be eliminated".

An active underground is a great place... those that say he's a "criminal" and this is the same as crack dealers keeping their profits are the reason some "regular" folks I know stay away from Apple products (as they don't want to be associated with "fan boy" sheeple)

I do like the decal argument... though I'm sure if Apple filed a suit on someone that put a Hello Kitty sticker on their phone there would be folks here defending the lawsuit as righteous and just (well okay if it was Hello Kitty I might agree).
  • Reply 48 of 51
    whcirwhcir Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Suppose I bought some items from some guy who had robbed your house, then turned around and made $130,000 selling them on the web. Would that be thinking different?
  • Reply 49 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WhciR View Post

Suppose I bought some items from some guy who had robbed your house, then turned around and made $130,000 selling them on the web. Would that be thinking different?

If you can make $130,000 selling some of the items from this house, dude, please come over now, do it legally, and get a big fat commission check!

However, you're talking oranges.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    hoganhogan Posts: 94member
    Quote:

Some people here don't even deserve to own Apple products..

What an absolute tit this guy is! This must be shared... moron.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    whcirwhcir Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Huperniketes View Post

However, you're talking oranges.

How is that? A worker at Foxcon stole property that didn't belong to him, sold them to the teen, and he sold them on the web. It was stolen property with copyrighted logos.