Microsoft Unveils Windows Phone 8

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Sorry, sorry, that title should read Windows 8 (on tablets). Without the Phone.

I got confused because Windows 8 looks exactly like Windows Phone 7.

Seems that since Apple is making OS X look like iOS, Microsoft decided to make Windows look like Windows Phone.

There aren't enough emoticons to express it fully. Seriously.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/01/m...et-prototypes/

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    neiltc13neiltc13 Posts: 182member
    Looks awesome. Just what a tablet OS needs to be.

Did you ever consider that because the Windows Phone 7 OS is actually very nicely designed, Microsoft decided to take it further?

I love tiles on my phone and I can imagine they will work even better on a tablet with more space to play with. The way they've allowed apps to share screen space is also a very nice touch.

I guess you must be pretty satisfied with rows of tiny static icons and single, process interrupting notifications that you get on iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Looks awesome. Just what a tablet OS needs to be.

Did you ever consider that because the Windows Phone 7 OS is actually very nicely designed, Microsoft decided to take it further?

I love tiles on my phone and I can imagine they will work even better on a tablet with more space to play with. The way they've allowed apps to share screen space is also a very nice touch.

I guess you must be pretty satisfied with rows of tiny static icons and single, process interrupting notifications that you get on iPad.

I am. And I don't feel any particular need to go find a Windows site and mock anyone for their choice. Isn't that funny? Satisfaction breeds contentment, contentment breeds a willingness to keep ones own council.

I wonder why you can't?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I am. And I don't feel any particular need to go find a Windows site and mock anyone for their choice. Isn't that funny? Satisfaction breeds contentment, contentment breeds a willingness to keep ones own council.

I wonder why you can't?

Well TBH, he was responding to OP mocking MS.

Good question though, I wonder why he felt the need to make a thread mocking MS if he was truly content
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neiltc13 View Post

Absolutely. Windows Phone 7 is great; that it exists is a testament to Microsoft's ability to be original that they don't often flex. Windows Phone 7 is the competition that iOS demanded four years ago and will never receive from Android.

I just find it funny that they're trying to steal Apple's thunder by saying that Windows 8 will look like Windows Phone 7 only five days before Apple will say officially that Lion looks like iOS.

The mix of actually new and original work from them coupled with the same-old, same-old blatant copying is the juxtaposition that makes it funny.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Well TBH, he was responding to OP mocking MS.

On an Apple centric site. So again, I'm have no desire whatsoever to go find some MS friendly site to see if they're saying mean things about the iPad so I can school them. Because that would be pathetic.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Absolutely. Windows Phone 7 is great; that it exists is a testament to Microsoft's ability to be original that they don't often flex. Windows Phone 7 is the competition that iOS demanded four years ago and will never receive from Android.

I just find it funny that they're trying to steal Apple's thunder by saying that Windows 8 will look like Windows Phone 7 only five days before Apple will say officially that Lion looks like iOS.

The mix of actually new and original work from them coupled with the same-old, same-old blatant copying is the juxtaposition that makes it funny.

The timing probably has more to do with Computex 2011 than anything. Though I guess you could make the argument that they don't HAVE to show win8 during this event.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    timgriff84timgriff84 Posts: 912member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

To be fair though it started way before WP7 with media centre, then Xbox started to look like media centre, somewhere along the way Zune came out and WP7 is a combination of them both. Now windows is joining in its more about them taking designs that have worked well and spreading it, which is something every industry does.

Lets also not forget when WP7 was announced a lot of people instantly said it would be great on a tablet and wp7 skins for tablets were out before wp7. If anyones being copied its the public.